F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > First track day setup and my take list
Extreme Powerhouse

07-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

First track day setup and my take list

Have a urge to try out the track with my '14 335 m sport and getting close. Below is the list I have come up with based on help from you guys. Just trying not to embarrass my self..or worse!

Just finished:
-New set of MP4S
-Brake fluid change to Motul RBF600

Going to do:
-New brake pads. (Leaning towards EBC yellowstuff)

To take:
Chair
Gloves
Helmet (may rent for first time)
Torque wrench with socket for wheel lugs
Water
Lunch
Tow hook
Tarp

Things I'm considering taking:
Screwdriver, pliers, crescent wrench
extra pads and grease
Glass cleaner and rag
jack and stands (If I get a more portable jack)
Duct tape

Few other questions:
1) For those that change in and out of pads. I have always turned or replaced rotors when I did pads and properly broke them in. Does it cause issues when you just toss on a new pair of pads?
2) Do most tracks have a staff member that will ride with you the first session so you can get a feel?
3) Let me know what you think of my list above.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherhef View Post
Few other questions:
1) For those that change in and out of pads. I have always turned or replaced rotors when I did pads and properly broke them in. Does it cause issues when you just toss on a new pair of pads?
2) Do most tracks have a staff member that will ride with you the first session so you can get a feel?

Thanks all!
1) No issue swapping pads on the same rotor. I swap EBC Red, Pagid RSL29, and PFC08s all on the same rotors.

2) Highly dependent on the club/company you go with. Some are more laissez-faire than others and will let beginners go solo. Don't go with one of those groups or you may end up with n00bs like this guy out there endangering yourself.

3) Sunscreen, brake pad change tools (punch, hammer, pad spreader, nitrile or work gloves), a large bin to put all your stuff in (and to double as a table with lid on), tire pressure gauge and pump, and a notebook for track notes/class sessions.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Few other questions:

Thanks all!
1) No issue swapping pads on the same rotor. I swap EBC Red, Pagid RSL29, and PFC08s all on the same rotors.

2) Highly dependent on the club/company you go with. Some are more laissez-faire than others and will let beginners go solo. Don't go with one of those groups or you may end up with n00bs like this guy out there endangering yourself.

3) Sunscreen, brake pad change tools (punch, hammer, pad spreader, nitrile or work gloves), a large bin to put all your stuff in (and to double as a table with lid on), tire pressure gauge and pump, and a notebook for track notes/class sessions.
That video made me cringe quite a bit. Hard to watch.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 12:36 AM   #4
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
That video made me cringe quite a bit. Hard to watch.
wow lol, yes please dont be like that guy. Also, make sure you watch and study plenty of onboards on youtube to get a feel for it.

Appreciate 1
      07-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Tire pressure gauge, sunblock, comfy shoes for when not driving, gopro

Whichever track you plan to go on watch a lot of vids on it so you can start to remember the turns. It's different when you're actually on the track but it's a start.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

That mustang driver should not be on the track. He should have an instructor with him teaching him how to drive. Tires cold, hands in the wrong place, horrible line, overdriving. He's dangerous.

If it's your first track day check the cockiness at the gate. I don't care how fast someone is on the freeway passing Priuses. I've seen too many cocky green drivers quickly learn that they aren't the speed demons they think they are once they hit the dirt. LOL I love seeing it in their eyes after the first few laps.

By the way, 4 wheels off the track usually warrants a return to pit for an inspection. Not only could he have damaged his car, but he could have leaked oil onto the track endangering everyone else. Going off track in itself isn't bad, even veterans do this when pushing the limits, but he did it twice in a row on two consecutive turns and didn't pit. He needs instruction.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 07-24-2019 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Any app for a first time use (lap timer)? Not ready to spend 100-500 on a good dedicated lap timer. I've looked at Harry's, but heard it's only fun to use if paired with a gps accessory.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
That mustang driver should not be on the track. He should have an instructor with him teaching him how to drive. Tires cold, hands in the wrong place, horrible line, overdriving. He's dangerous.

If it's your first track day check the cockiness at the gate. I don't care how fast someone is on the freeway passing Priuses. I've seen too many cocky green drivers quickly learn that they aren't the speed demons they think they are once they hit the dirt. LOL I love seeing it in their eyes after the first few laps.

By the way, 4 wheels off the track usually warrants a return to pit for an inspection. Not only could he have damaged his car, but he could have leaked oil onto the track endangering everyone else. Going off track in itself isn't bad, even veterans do this when pushing the limits, but he did it twice in a row on two consecutive turns and didn't pit. He needs instruction.
I personally think it's worse that whichever company was proctoring that HPDE day let him out there with his lack of knowledge (or failed to have a good enough drivers' meeting where rules were covered and understood), and wasn't monitoring things well enough to pull him back in after the first lap.

Quote:
Any app for a first time use (lap timer)? Not ready to spend 100-500 on a good dedicated lap timer. I've looked at Harry's, but heard it's only fun to use if paired with a gps accessory.
I wouldn't focus on lap times for your first outing. It's a distraction that is more likely to push you to make mistakes. You should focus on the driving line and technique first, and only once you have that down consistently start bringing up speed. You'll be slightly disappointed at how slow you go relative to others, but your first time out there is about learning, not necessarily winning.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
jmg18493.00
      07-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #9
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post

I personally think it's worse that whichever company was proctoring that HPDE day let him out there with his lack of knowledge (or failed to have a good enough drivers' meeting where rules were covered and understood), and wasn't monitoring things well enough to pull him back in after the first lap.

Quote:
I wouldn't focus on lap times for your first outing. It's a distraction that is more likely to push you to make mistakes. You should focus on the driving line and technique first, and only once you have that down consistently start bringing up speed. You'll be slightly disappointed at how slow you go relative to others, but your first time out there is about learning, not necessarily winning.
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't focus on lap times for your first outing. It's a distraction that is more likely to push you to make mistakes. You should focus on the driving line and technique first, and only once you have that down consistently start bringing up speed. You'll be slightly disappointed at how slow you go relative to others, but your first time out there is about learning, not necessarily winning.[/QUOTE]

Roger that. Good point
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #10
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Quote:
If you want something free look at RaceChrono if you have an android phone. Attached some screenshots so you can see how it is. You can add an obd-II dongle which I just saw so I will add the wifi one that I use for the Torque app
Attached Images

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2019, 02:33 AM   #11
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
I bought harrys and was not impressed, granted im not using it with a GPS dedicated accessory. Went through the whole setup, and the laptimes where consistently off by 2-3 seconds. Thankfully the track had their own timing setup with transponders so i had an official calibrated time to compare it to.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2019, 07:05 AM   #12
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

First track day setup and my take list

Quote:
Quote:
Few other questions:

Thanks all!

Quote:
Quote:
Few other questions:

all!

Do you have to re bed pads every time you swap?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #13
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have to re bed pads every time you swap?
Not religiously. Although I'll try to bed the track pads after swapping them in, there have been plenty of times I haven't. They'll bed themselves in on the track. When swapping back to my street pads I never re-bed them (just isn't convenient to). The pedal will feel a bit different until the track compound wears away, but it doesn't take a long time for that and I'm nowhere close to not being able to stop.

Appreciate 0