F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Carplay - iMessages
ARMA SPEED

02-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
thaking
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 FL / F31 FL

Carplay - iMessages

Is there any way/option to disable that Siri is reading loud messages while carplay option?

I just want to see message and not that SIRI is reading it...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Carplay - iMessages

That is one of the good parts of CarPlay; that you don't need to take your eyes off of the road. That's is, Siri reads your messages and you can reply using your voice. I find this very useful. Used it today when the wife let me know dinner was ready and I could reply, just got gas and am headed home. I hope I am answering your question- do you only want to know you have a message and not have it read to you? On my CarPlay, if I don't click idrive the message disappears quickly. I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
thaking
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, Siri is unable to read message in my language so it's not useful for me.

I just want that message is shown, it can be while driving or also when I am stationary. Now when I click message it automatically start reading by Siri, but not showing me content of message...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaking View Post

I just want that message is shown, it can be while driving or also when I am stationary. Now when I click message it automatically start reading by Siri, but not showing me content of message...
Does Siri on your phone work in your language? For me, I have not found a way to see the messages on CarPlay? I can see there is a message on the Nav screen, but it does not show me the text; I am guessing because of safety concerns. If I want to read them I have to use my phone. That is all I know, maybe there are some tricks that work.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 11:53 PM   #5
RichieDirts
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Not to highjack your thread, but does anyone know how to turn off the text message popping up?? I don't need anyone in my car know who is texting me.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 01:11 AM   #6
thaking
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaking View Post

Does Siri on your phone work in your language? For me, I have not found a way to see the messages on CarPlay? I can see there is a message on the Nav screen, but it does not show me the text; I am guessing because of safety concerns. If I want to read them I have to use my phone. That is all I know, maybe there are some tricks that work.
No siri not supporting my language :/ ...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #7
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieDirts View Post
Not to highjack your thread, but does anyone know how to turn off the text message popping up?? I don't need anyone in my car know who is texting me.
I have not. It only pops up for a few seconds now with the new iOS, where previously it would stay for several minutes (at least that was my feelings). I guess I have never really played with CarPlay settings. Not sure what is flexible and adjustable vs what is static.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 03:53 AM   #8
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Unfortunately with CarPlay the only option is Siri reading out your messages.

I have both iPhone and Samsung note 8. I find the note 8 integrates with idrive better. I have coded office such that office functions are not limited in any way. This means I can view my entire sms as well as have it read out to me. I can even reply with voice or with manual wheel inputs.

I still use my note 8 but had to go back to the iPhone due to being so heavily invested into the Apple ecosystem.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:07 AM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

That was one of the reasons I gave up on Carplay already at the beginning and have never used it again. I see no benefit of having it. The integration is (or at least used to be) crappy, Siri is trying to speak languages she cannot, I am bombarded with messages on the screen which I don't need to have there (and on my Apple Watch)... At the same time I am happy with the BMW navigation, don't use any music streaming bs, I keep it simple and put my desired "evergreen" music on a USB stick... so what to use it for?
      02-12-2020, 07:26 AM   #10
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

As you see there are different uses and ideas for CarPlay. Everyone has to decide for themselves if it is useful. Like the above mentioned point, I was skeptical at first. But I now find it very handy and although not essential I think it is very useful and I would definitely want it on all future cars. For me I am on the phone a lot so hands free calling through my contacts is great. I have 3 kids so hands free texting is great (yes Siri speaks my language so I am lucky). I listen to music a lot through CarPlay and can even do books. I do like the BMW Nav and run some in parallel so that I have the best traffic info, accidents, break downs, law enforcement, etc. Those apps now show up on my CarPlay screen. Now the Nav apps each have their uses in my world. I like the BMW Nav with my HUD in cities where turns and merges are hard to see on the screen. But it is nice when the locations are on the phone and you just have to hit go and it is on the screen. I have also used connected drive to send directions to the BMW. Anyway those are just a few of the reasons I like it and use it frequently.

I know the text thing for business folks might be awkward. If one client is in the car and they see a text from another client??? For me, when one kid texts me the others want to know what he or she said. I don't have any issues and like the text alerts. It is usually "I am running late", "get a gallon of milk," "the game has been moved to another field", etc. I suppose if you have an extra special friend and a spouse it would be awkward to get a text from either one when the other one is in the car. But in those cases turn off Bluetooth and the phone won't connect and your problems go away.

My guess is they will keep adding features as the iOS is updated. For me iOS 13 is much better than iOS.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I guess the conclusion is that whilst there are inevitably infinitely many applications of a system like carplay, what is really missing is the ability to customise. Based on the examples above, some might want messages being read out, others - not. Not only that – there might be situations where the same driver may like it or not, depending on who is in the car and where the drive is going to…

E.g. Would I like my business messages being read out in the car whilst I am on holiday? Certainly not. Would I like my colleagues riding with me to hear what my wife is writing me – preferably not. There are so many potential levels of customisation which are not available – example to read messages only from certain people and during certain days of the week, selectable profiles, etc.

The flaw of carplay is that it endeavours to offer a “one-fits-all” solution, which quite clearly does not work.
      02-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #12
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I guess the conclusion is that whilst there are inevitably infinitely many applications of a system like carplay, what is really missing is the ability to customise. Based on the examples above, some might want messages being read out, others - not. Not only that – there might be situations where the same driver may like it or not, depending on who is in the car and where the drive is going to…

E.g. Would I like my business messages being read out in the car whilst I am on holiday? Certainly not. Would I like my colleagues riding with me to hear what my wife is writing me – preferably not. There are so many potential levels of customisation which are not available – example to read messages only from certain people and during certain days of the week, selectable profiles, etc.

The flaw of carplay is that it endeavours to offer a "one-fits-all" solution, which quite clearly does not work.
Those are all good points and I think customization would be the truly big thing to add next to really make this a useful system. On my system the messages are not read to me unless I want them to be read. It is no different than on my phone. A message arriving on the phone shows a notification and I can chose to look at it or not. The same thing is true on the car. The notifications that a message has been received only stays for about 10 secs or so on the screen. No one can really see what the message says - in fact not sure if there is any text other than the phone number or person who texted. Thus I can while driving if concerned (perhaps not legal), I can grab my phone and only I can see the message. If it is just a phone number no one even knows who is sending that message. The new iOS does have a settings feature for CarPlay with 4 things you can adjust (can't remember what they are off the top of my head). Maybe (and this is hopeful) that the customization will be expanded to include the points you make.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #13
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just checked and this may not be the best option, but it is a safe potential option until things are changed. The one feature that is customizable on CarPlay is do not disturb while driving. This can be altered in the phone and directly in the settings app on Carplay. I believe that will prevent all messages from appearing on the screens when driving. Not sure if this feature is available in all countries, but it will provide a safer experience for those that need this feature and will keep unwanted texts from popping up when others are in the car. This can be set automatically. Anyway hoping that iOS 14 bring new and better features.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #14
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

I want to know who the poster is getting messages from that would cause an occupant to have a concern, I mean is the spouse in the car and they'd see the poster was cheating on them?

If so the poster has bigger issues at hand
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #15
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I want to know who the poster is getting messages from that would cause an occupant to have a concern, I mean is the spouse in the car and they'd see the poster was cheating on them?

If so the poster has bigger issues at hand
Hahahahaha, If that is the case, I agree. As I have said above I like CarPlay and use it for all of the good features. The safety features are also really important, especially since I my teen drivers are in the car with me and I like to act a a good role model. My guess on your point above is less the affair issues, but potential work points. But as I said that can be completely solved with do not disturb while driving clicked. For me I will get CarPlay if available on any new car. After getting used to it on my 2018 340, it is sometimes hard to get in the older cars that don't have it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #16
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

The experiences are very polarised. (Which again confirms that „one size fits all" does not work well for CarPlay). I would not spent a dime on it. One of the few things I am not continuing the subscription of once it expires
      02-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #17
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
The experiences are very polarised. (Which again confirms that „one size fits all" does not work well for CarPlay). I would not spent a dime on it. One of the few things I am not continuing the subscription of once it expires
Agreed,
For me CarPlay is important for the fact that I can use Google Maps for navigation, in my area it will routinely beat any route the BMW nav picks both in time and traffic, and it's very good at rerouting me while on the way into the city. Driving on the highway and long trips the BMW nav is fine, but it falls flat on its face in the cities by me, even Apple Maps is better than the BMW in my case.

However I use the media functions from BMW over the ones from CarPlay.
Appreciate 0