F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Muffler delete? yes or no?
GetBMWParts

01-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 340i 2018

Muffler delete? yes or no?

Hi guys, i was looking for an exhaust system for my 435i, and price a pretty high on system. I was thinking about a muffler delete with BMS black tip, anyone did it? do you recommend it? a lot of drone? sound good or gay? haha

Any video could be really great! Video on youtube are not pretty good.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5858 View Post
Hi guys, i was looking for an exhaust system for my 435i, and price a pretty high on system. I was thinking about a muffler delete with BMS black tip, anyone did it? do you recommend it? a lot of drone? sound good or gay? haha

Any video could be really great! Video on youtube are not pretty good.

Thanks!
it actually sounds quite good but I wouldnt recommend it. it will drone and make an annoying sound at lower rpms.

I would recommend a downpipe. youll get a better sound and also better performance while keeping your muffler to help with backpressure at lower RPM.

if you decide to go with a muffler delete (im only letting it slide this time because you have a turbo motor)

be sure to refrain from any full throttle pulls for the first 100 miles. after that, do lots of real world driving for the next 150 miles. a good mix of city and highway, some full throttle pulls, a variety of RPM's and also some idling to help your ECU adjust.

note that you will not get a good idea of what it will sound like until the ECU is done adjusting 250 miles later.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

No

Get a real exhaust system .. My vote goes to REMUS
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Alpine435
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M Sport

If you're in the LA area you can stop by and you can hear my car 435i catless downpipes and muffler delete, I'm full bolt on if that matters, I'll give you a little test drive if you'd like to, I'm running jb4 with electronic waste gate wires and flex fuel wires , E40, intake, catless downpipe, chargepipe, front mount intercooler
Send me a pm if want to meet up I don't mind helping a brother out
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435 View Post
If you're in the LA area you can stop by and you can hear my car 435i catless downpipes and muffler delete, I'm full bolt on if that matters, I'll give you a little test drive if you'd like to, I'm running jb4 with electronic waste gate wires and flex fuel wires , E40, intake, catless downpipe, chargepipe, front mount intercooler
Send me a pm if want to meet up I don't mind helping a brother out
Thanks for the invitation, but i'm from Canada haha

Remus Catback cost a lot of money, i would maybe go with a borla Atak, or a full stainless custom line but an exhaust shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
it actually sounds quite good but I wouldnt recommend it. it will drone and make an annoying sound at lower rpms.

I would recommend a downpipe. youll get a better sound and also better performance while keeping your muffler to help with backpressure at lower RPM.

if you decide to go with a muffler delete (im only letting it slide this time because you have a turbo motor)

be sure to refrain from any full throttle pulls for the first 100 miles. after that, do lots of real world driving for the next 150 miles. a good mix of city and highway, some full throttle pulls, a variety of RPM's and also some idling to help your ECU adjust.

note that you will not get a good idea of what it will sound like until the ECU is done adjusting 250 miles later.
I dont want to go with a downpipes because of the warranty still on the car.

But...i do have a JB4, but it's more easy to take it off when you go to the dealer that a downpipes.

i think it will be better to just wait and put a good exhaust system to get the most gain from it with jb4 and intake. what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
yoandry
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F30 335i & JGC

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry
Quote:

But...i do have a JB4, but it's more easy to take it off when you go to the dealer that a downpipes.

i think it will be better to just wait and put a good exhaust system to get the most gain from it with jb4 and intake. what do you think?
If you are concert about your warranty, just get a cat back exhaust for the sound. Anything else might impact your warranty. You need a dp to even use the map 2 on jb4.
PS2+ WMI + MHD Bef+JB4, VRSF DP, CP, FMIC Race 6, AFE Intake, MP-LSD, MPPK, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-interior trim, MP-Alcantara Steering Wheels W/race display, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
If you are concert about your warranty, just get a cat back exhaust for the sound. Anything else might impact your warranty. You need a dp to even use the map 2 on jb4.
What do you mean why bother? why i'm not getting a downpipe? JB4 is easy to take off the car for a oil change or anything like this. Taking out a downpipe is more time and cost. I dont want to go to the dealer and make an oil change and they see the downpipe and taking note of it. If anything happen, they won't pay.

All my oil change and everything is paid for 4 years 80,000km, so i'm doing it to the dealer :P

Have any suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #9
yoandry
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F30 335i & JGC

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry
Quote:
What do you mean why bother? why i'm not getting a downpipe? JB4 is easy to take off the car for a oil change or anything like this. Taking out a downpipe is more time and cost. I dont want to go to the dealer and make an oil change and they see the downpipe and taking note of it. If anything happen, they won't pay.

All my oil change and everything is paid for 4 years 80,000km, so i'm doing it to the dealer :P

Have any suggestion?
Exactly, why bother on getting jb4, if you can't use his potential at lease for now. There are other tune options if you are stock, but you should now that by now. Good luck.
PS2+ WMI + MHD Bef+JB4, VRSF DP, CP, FMIC Race 6, AFE Intake, MP-LSD, MPPK, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-interior trim, MP-Alcantara Steering Wheels W/race display, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Exactly, why bother on getting jb4, if you can't use his potential at lease for now. There are other tune options if you are stock, but you should now that by now. Good luck.
Well, with an intake and exhaust, i can go on map 5 with JB4 wich will add a bit more power and it's the best bang for buck! I mean, i got it use for a really decent price so! Yes i could have go with a JB4 stage 1 ou a Dinan tune, but Dinan cost to much for what it bring, and a stage 1 jb4, i will later go on with a full bolts on.

And we can go on map 2 with intake and exhaust, That is what suggest on Burger website.

http://www.burgertuning.com/images/d...o_with_Jb4.jpg
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
odus
Call me daddy
Rep
Drives: dont worry

Welcome to the forum where everyone thinks we have money to drop on these over priced exhaust systems( Yes over priced). I did it a couple day after getting my CPO car and has been to shop a few times and they did not care one bit. It has a bit of drone while cruising at 60 other than that it doesn't really bother me. I planned to keep the muffler delete until I am a decent bit out of warranty. I also have the JB4 since I scored it for a steal and map 5 with 93 is way better than no JB4. I eventually will do a custom axle back and downpipe or just catless downpipe with a m performance muffler. I can't justify the prices for a damn axle back on these cars when I can buy a whole catback or turboback for other platforms for the same price an axleback on these BMW cost. Rant over OP it's worth it if you are in the same boat I am looking for little more noise without spending crazy money for a little more noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:

Mate WTF are you talking about ... no need for ECU adjusting if you just remove the muffler.

ECU will adjust after a few pulls if you are mixing race fuel or ethanol, etc. if that's what you mean.

Muffler delete sounds decent but I recommend getting a full exhaust system by AWE, Remus, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post
Mate WTF are you talking about ... no need for ECU adjusting if you just remove the muffler.

ECU will adjust after a few pulls if you are mixing race fuel or ethanol, etc. if that's what you mean.

Muffler delete sounds decent but I recommend getting a full exhaust system by AWE, Remus, etc.
AWE or Remus is 3k for a complete system, wich is pretty to expensive for a better exhaust sound and maybe a few HP. maybe i will go with the MPE or the magnaflow wich is 1.4k for the complete system.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #14
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Intake is useless dont bother with one.

you could try deleting your muffler now or just save up for an axle back
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #15
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post

its takes the ECU longer then just a few pulls to adjust, and it has to adjust for any sort of change/modification.

you dont need to believe me if you dont want to, im just saying this for ppl who want the most gains from an exhaust modification
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #16
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
its takes the ECU longer then just a few pulls to adjust, and it has to adjust for any sort of change/modification.

you dont need to believe me if you dont want to, im just saying this for ppl who want the most gains from an exhaust modification
What...

All the back pressure needed for the N55 is in the exhaust manifold, provided by the turbo. The only thing the ECU will adjust for in the exhaust is if you install a down pipe. Muffler/resonator deletes won't do the same. From the mid pipe and back, exhausts are primarily for aesthetics and sound on these cars.

On a NA motor, it's completely different.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #17
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_kay View Post
What...

All the back pressure needed for the N55 is in the exhaust manifold, provided by the turbo. The only thing the ECU will adjust for in the exhaust is if you install a down pipe. Muffler/resonator deletes won't do the same. From the mid pipe and back, exhausts are primarily for aesthetics and sound on these cars.

On a NA motor, it's completely different.
no.. all ECU's regardless of which engine configuration you have are the same thing.

an intake, any sort of exhaust mod (resonator, muffler delete) require a period of ECU adjustment. you wont get full gains or sound until 400KM pass. ask me how I know.. and no, A naturally aspirated ECU is not different from one in a turbo engine.

you can believe anything you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #18
zerreissen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 335i

Quote:
It's apparent that you believe anything you want seeing as you posted in another recent thread that the F30 w/ N55 has an x-pipe, when it surely does not.
odus33.50
cngo50.00

01-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #19
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
no.. all ECU's regardless of which engine configuration you have are the same thing.

an intake, any sort of exhaust mod (resonator, muffler delete) require a period of ECU adjustment. you wont get full gains or sound until 400KM pass. ask me how I know.. and no, A naturally aspirated ECU is not different from one in a turbo engine.

Not referring to the ECU..I'm referring to the way the engine works. A turbo car does not care what is after the downpipe...Could be straight pipe, muffler, etc. The downpipe is the restricted part of these cars. The only concern with back pressure is before the turbo.

An ECU controlling a turbo motor has a lot more to account for vs a NA one as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #20
JoelPirela
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i

I have resonator delete and muffler delete with no other bolt ons. I am in love. The burble, the crack and pop is amazing... but I come from a Porsche 911 with straight pipes. It's an acquired taste.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #21
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i

I had it done and could only bare it for 3 days. Way too much drone. You also don't need some ridiculous 3k system if you're only going to do a catback for sound improvement.

Resonator delete with a clean replacement is the same as some of these $500-700 midpipe mods.

I'm considering doing a custom axleback with removing the OEM muffler and putting in 2 Vibrant 1142 resonators. Should eliminate drone (in comparison to a muffler delete) for the most part but also sound much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #22
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu View Post
I had it done and could only bare it for 3 days. Way too much drone. You also don't need some ridiculous 3k system if you're only going to do a catback for sound improvement.

Resonator delete with a clean replacement is the same as some of these $500-700 midpipe mods.

I'm considering doing a custom axleback with removing the OEM muffler and putting in 2 Vibrant 1142 resonators. Should eliminate drone (in comparison to a muffler delete) for the most part but also sound much better.
For the price, i'm really considering the M performance Exhaust at 1291$. I will buy the BMS Black tip for 100$ and i think it will be the best bang for the buck!
Appreciate 0