F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > TRS Morimoto H7 Elite HID install problem
GetBMWParts

01-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
M3olsen
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335Cic

TRS Morimoto H7 Elite HID install problem

Hello all, I am having a problem with the The Retrofit Source kit and assuming someone else here has resolved this. I'm actually installing in F25 X3, but I bet many models are using similar internally wired headlights. The instructions say to drill a 3/4" hole in the cap, which looks right compared to the grommet they have pre-installed on bulb wiring.

Problem is, the two-prong connector pre-installed on the end of the wire set that needs to feed through hole in cap and plug into ballast is 1" wide, and easily 1" tall. I can't fit either end of the HID bulb wiring harness assembly through the 3/4" hole.

What have people done? I really don't want to clip wires as I assume that will void warranty and can't be what TRS intended. Unfortunately, TRS appear to be so overloaded from holidays that my e-mail from Monday morning remains unanswered as of mid-day Friday; I spent two hours on hold earlier this week before their queue system just hung up on me, and used their "dial 1 and we'll call you back", and 24+ hours later I haven't had a call. Hoping to not lose ANOTHER weekend without bulb upgrade. This X3 is new to us, and halogen is horrible!

Thanks for help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
M3olsen
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335Cic

Update for all - apparently this one was baffling. This solution here was to de-pin the 9006 connector at the end of the braided cable. YouTube video showing how to do so below - I found that using my slimmest micro-screwdriver worked better than a paper clip.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mW-ieXEP1M
Appreciate 0