F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > dealers attitudes
GetBMWParts

03-12-2016, 03:48 AM   #1
happycow6171
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

dealers attitudes

Just a observation I've experienced in the last couple of months.
Lets start with bmw, my local dealer doesn't do unaccompanied m car test drives now you have to sort out your own insurance, A trip to Shrewsbury and a totally different attitude, we'll lend you a car for the weekend and I'm not even a customer their.
Landrover have to say pretty good will lend you a car for a couple of days and no problem if it doesn't float your boat.
Audi cheshire oaks a bunch of wan..., we don't want your business, very unfriendly, a short drive to crewe audi and a totally different attitude cars of every shape and size to test drive and a deal to be done with decent discounts.
Porshe was a breath of fresh air, they lent us a boxster for the weekend no problem and felt properly treated, no pressure but felt you could so easy do a deal with them.
Mercedes had to complain to merc uk the dealer was a nightmare kept me waiting a hour for a c63 test drive and the customer service was shite.
Anyone else with similar experiences.
Cheers happy
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 04:02 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Yes very much been my experience, dealers vary immensely not only around the country but also in certain areas.

I have not found a dealer (any manufacturer) in Wolverhampton where they are not useless cnuts.

We now just drive to Stafford, Telford, Derby etc, where we can get decent customer care / conversation and actually be treated as intelligent customers.

Sourcing my wife's car was an absolute fucking nightmare, she did not know what she wanted and we had to go to lots of different manufacturers.

Had everything from, it's raining, we don't do test drives on a Sunday (?), to actually blanking out my wife and trying to discuss her car requirements with me...

Ended up with a great salesman, who actually made a 6am trip to a dealer 300 miles away to get a car for her to test drive for the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 04:04 AM   #3
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Unbelievable the way some dealers treat their potential customers .... like they think they are doing your a favour?

If you are spending tens of thousands on a new car then you want a decent test drive surely.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Unbelievable the way some dealers treat their potential customers .... like they think they are doing your a favour?

If you are spending tens of thousands on a new car then you want a decent test drive surely.
The Ford dealership in Wolverhampton is possibly the worst new car dealership I have been in.

They offered £500 quid off a new ST3 Fiesta, I pointed out that actually that was Ford UK doing £500 discount.

They then went okay (after a week) we will give you £500 as well.

I then pointed out, that their own website was offering £1500 discount, oh was it.

Test drives, oh we can't give you a test drive in a Fiesta ST, we do have a 1.2 fiesta....

Then when looked in to it further, it was only pre built stock sitting over at Ghent (or wherever Fiesta is built) and not build to order.

They knew our Mondeo was freshly serviced and had a quote on its value.

So very much a firm sale, utter fucking idiots.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 04:42 AM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Makes you wonder how they sell cars and stay in business.

Surely rule 101, treat your customer with respect and at least be polite.....

Sadly I'm not a fan of car salesmen, poor "acting" and no respect shows through very often.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #6
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Test drives, oh we can't give you a test drive in a Fiesta ST, we do have a 1.2 fiesta....
This sounds like my local Jaguar dealership... here is a summarised conversation (from memory as it was in early 2014)...

Paul: I'm looking at buying a new XFR (the supercharged petrol V8)

Jag: We don't have an XFR for test drives

Paul: OK, can you source one from Jaguar or another dealership in your group?

Jag: No, but we can offer you a drive in a XF 2.0D

Paul: And how is that going to compare with an XFR?

Jag: They're very similar you know!

Paul: What about a drive in the petrol XF V6S used car you have? That's going to be more realistic than a 2.0D

Jag: That car has been pre-registered so we don't want to put any miles on it, but we can start it up for you

Paul: Erm, okay (thinking that I'm not sure what that will tell me, but let's roll with it)

I then sit in the passenger seat of this car while the jackass from the dealer starts it up from cold and immediately starts revving it to the redline. I see the mileage on the car is 151.

Paul: I see the car has 151 miles, I would have said delivery miles would be under 10 or so.

Jag: Yeah, we drove it to a show and back last weekend, hence the mileage

Paul: So there's no chance I can drive it?

Jag: If you pay a deposit with an intention to buy the car then you can test drive it

Paul: Thanks but no thanks, I'm looking at an XFR

I had a couple of follow-up calls from the salesman, but as he coulldn't offer me a test drive I said I wasn't interested. I then started ignoring calls from them as he was becoming annoying.

I then got a call from a different number, which I answered, and it was the new car sales manager asking if I was still interested in buying an XF. After I'd had a good rant about the poor service, he offered me a test drive in the XFR-S that they had in the showroom. I said I'd think about it and get back to him.

I didn't bother as, by that point, I really couldn't give two hoots whether it was the best car on the planet, they obviously didn't take me seriously when I walked in, so potentially lost the sale.

A month or so later, I went to BMW and bought my 335i.
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
tinytrevor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Hearse

At least they talk to you. Every time I walked in to a dealer's they think I'm there no nick one of their more expensive cars and drive it off through the glass display...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
The Ford dealership in Wolverhampton is possibly the worst new car dealership I have been in.

They offered £500 quid off a new ST3 Fiesta, I pointed out that actually that was Ford UK doing £500 discount.

They then went okay (after a week) we will give you £500 as well.

I then pointed out, that their own website was offering £1500 discount, oh was it.

Then when looked in to it further, it was only pre built stock sitting over at Ghent (or wherever Fiesta is built) and not build to order.

They knew our Mondeo was freshly serviced and had a quote on its value.

So very much a firm sale, utter fucking idiots.

Weird that when we got Fat Kid 1s first fiesta there thought they were great dealt with a couple of salespersons there initially a young lad then an Irisnh girl couldn't fault them !!!!

Must depend on who you get to deal with I presume.

Now Jaguar Wolvehampton there's a company that's good for BMW sales.
      03-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #9
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrevor View Post
At least they talk to you. Every time I walked in to a dealer's they think I'm there no nick one of their more expensive cars and drive it off through the glass display...
so many experiences like that

I make a point when buying anything expensive such as a car to dress scruffily, and roll up in my wife's rather modest car (which until recently was a 2005 basic Seat Leon scratched to hell) Anyone in life who treats you differently because of the way you look can do one. There have been occasions with car sales 'executives' where I've been treated poorly in one way or another when they have no idea how easily they could have made a sale and I've just walked out. I've sometimes made it a point to let their managers know but these days don't even bother with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Agree. Wanted an C350 merc 5 years ago - sales guy wouldn't let me drive one - bought the 530d a week later. Wanted to drive the new C250 in Autumn - again dealer couldn't be bothered to even return phone calls.

At BMW, Steven James in Enfield had a right prick of a sales guy. Told me I had 'illusions of grandeur'. The brand new 330d I bought a few weeks later says otherwise, and as I told the dickhead at the time, I could pay for one in cash. He was a monumental bell-end and I think my complaint had a severe effect on his job there...

My local dealer - Tring, were very poor at retaining my business. Very nice sales lady but everything had to go through a business manager who tried to blind me with figures, and lecture me on how I would get a better return in my money by upping my deposit than I would 'keeping it in the bank'. Again, a pratt.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Oh, I'd forgotten the joys of the "Business Managers".

What exactly is their purpose? Dealerships seem to have quite a few of them and they don't appear to manage anything, they just put some fictional information into a computer, it gives them some numbers which they blindly mis-quote and which don't seem to actually reflect any reality.

Also, they just cannot grasp the concept that you might not want finance and go around in circles asking what monthly payment you want... I don't want a monthly payment, I just want you to give me a bottom line price to change my car.

I spent almost 2 weeks going backwards and forwards with one of these muppets over a stock M5. They told me the discount they'd given me, but the bottom line was over £1,000 different to what I added it up to be. All I wanted were all of the numbers in one place so I could see where the mistake was. I eventually got fed up when they told me somebody else was interested in the car and told them good luck selling it to this other person. Several weeks later, that exact car turned up on the AUC site as a pre-registered vehicle with delivery mileage for less than I was prepared to pay for it new.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

I'd an experience with my local Merc dealer, ignored even when I resorted to opening and closing bonnets,walked. Wrote to Merc got an apology both by phone and letter. Dealer Principle phoned demanding I had a one to one meeting with him so that I could explain why, exactly why I complained, he also said that his staff ever ignore any customer. I was left with the feeling that I was to blame for this complaint, so I've never been back.
I've had good experiences with BMW, two dealers, both AUC purchases.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #13
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Agreed, Audi dealers seems to be the biggest jerks lately. They need to refresh their models if the arrogance is too continue.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #14
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo
Agree. Wanted an C350 merc 5 years ago - sales guy wouldn't let me drive one - bought the 530d a week later. Wanted to drive the new C250 in Autumn - again dealer couldn't be bothered to even return phone calls.

At BMW, Steven James in Enfield had a right prick of a sales guy. Told me I had 'illusions of grandeur'. The brand new 330d I bought a few weeks later says otherwise, and as I told the dickhead at the time, I could pay for one in cash. He was a monumental bell-end and I think my complaint had a severe effect on his job there...

My local dealer - Tring, were very poor at retaining my business. Very nice sales lady but everything had to go through a business manager who tried to blind me with figures, and lecture me on how I would get a better return in my money by upping my deposit than I would 'keeping it in the bank'. Again, a pratt.
Illusions of grandeur??? Jesus how the hell this guy sells anything is beyond me. On what basis did he manage to come to that conclusion?

Perhaps the dealership recruited him from Jaguar.....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #15
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_335i
Oh, I'd forgotten the joys of the "Business Managers".

What exactly is their purpose? Dealerships seem to have quite a few of them and they don't appear to manage anything, they just put some fictional information into a computer, it gives them some numbers which they blindly mis-quote and which don't seem to actually reflect any reality.

Also, they just cannot grasp the concept that you might not want finance and go around in circles asking what monthly payment you want... I don't want a monthly payment, I just want you to give me a bottom line price to change my car.

I spent almost 2 weeks going backwards and forwards with one of these muppets over a stock M5. They told me the discount they'd given me, but the bottom line was over £1,000 different to what I added it up to be. All I wanted were all of the numbers in one place so I could see where the mistake was. I eventually got fed up when they told me somebody else was interested in the car and told them good luck selling it to this other person. Several weeks later, that exact car turned up on the AUC site as a pre-registered vehicle with delivery mileage for less than I was prepared to pay for it new.
My local dealer has been getting very excited lately because my PCP is coming to an end.

At this time I've decided that I don't want to enter into another deal and I'm going to pay off the balance (although reading of the forum makes me question that decision on a daily basis)

They were very persistent in trying to do another deal which is fair enough but I eventually got it through to them that I was happy staying as I was.

I thought that was the end of it but next thing I'm getting messages saying that the business manager had looked at this and decided that it would be better for me if I refinanced the balance.

I clearly but politely declined this but this seemed to confuse them further as they started talking about "getting my payment down and making it easier"

Quite how he came to this conclusion about what was best for me whilst knowing jack shit about my financial position is beyond me but reducing the payment to an amount less than zero struck me as being as impossible even if they used their best jiggery pokery. Eventually I managed to make them understand that I reluctantly wasn't up for a deal right now.

My guess is that they would attempt to refinance at some loopy APR but I'll give them 10 out of 10 for persistence and they weren't arsey about it. I suppose that just didn't get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #16
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo

Illusions of grandeur??? Jesus how the hell this guy sells anything is beyond me. On what basis did he manage to come to that conclusion?

Perhaps the dealership recruited him from Jaguar.....
He was probably the biggest prick I've ever met. That was just one of about 20 insults before I walked out - having told him he was indeed that prick.

The dealer principle called me a few days later, it didn't sound like he was going to get away with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #17
Hprice1099
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycow6171 View Post
Just a observation I've experienced in the last couple of months.
Lets start with bmw, my local dealer doesn't do unaccompanied m car test drives now you have to sort out your own insurance, A trip to Shrewsbury and a totally different attitude, we'll lend you a car for the weekend and I'm not even a customer their.
Landrover have to say pretty good will lend you a car for a couple of days and no problem if it doesn't float your boat.
Audi cheshire oaks a bunch of wan..., we don't want your business, very unfriendly, a short drive to crewe audi and a totally different attitude cars of every shape and size to test drive and a deal to be done with decent discounts.
Porshe was a breath of fresh air, they lent us a boxster for the weekend no problem and felt properly treated, no pressure but felt you could so easy do a deal with them.
Mercedes had to complain to merc uk the dealer was a nightmare kept me waiting a hour for a c63 test drive and the customer service was shite.
Anyone else with similar experiences.
Cheers happy
I'd have to agree, i've had some very poor service from the likes of Audi and Mercedes, but on occassion some good service.
I've bough AUC and new from bmw at least 6 times and customer service has always been A+, thats one of the main reasons for buying bmw (and of course the dream M car lol)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #18
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Porsche OPC were the best, phoned up before going down, he was there ready to welcome me, told them what I could/would spend then they said lets walk round the showroom and see what you like.

I pointed to a new black 911 and they said sure lets get it out for you to drive, moved a few cars out of the way and off we went!

Very impressed, local BMW good as well but they know me so I'd expect that.
      03-13-2016, 03:04 AM   #19
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post

But isn't that last but right, you could save some interest by having a bigger deposit - interest rates dependant. Admittedly if it's your 'rainy day / emergency money' then tha would be a factor too.

I'm dealing with one now who is the first to really discuss a HP vs pcp and stated the interest element is a lot lower as long as I can stand the higher monthlies.

Very refreshing.
      03-13-2016, 04:44 AM   #20
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwils
Quote:

But isn't that last but right, you could save some interest by having a bigger deposit - interest rates dependant. Admittedly if it's your 'rainy day / emergency money' then tha would be a factor too.

I'm dealing with one now who is the first to really discuss a HP vs pcp and stated the interest element is a lot lower as long as I can stand the higher monthlies.

Very refreshing.
What's the old saying... 'It ain't what you say it's the way that you say it'

The way he presented figures would have given the FSA the hump. He was deliberately trying to confuse.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 05:46 AM   #21
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
What's the old saying... 'It ain't what you say it's the way that you say it'

The way he presented figures would have given the FSA the hump. He was deliberately trying to confuse.
Yes, know what you mean, even the standard quote layout disguises the facts so it's harder to compare the actual price your getting car for.

It's seems to be all about monthlies with most dealers, even had some change the term from 36 to 48 and omitting to mention !
Luckily have few that I can rely on a bit more.
      03-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #22
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwils View Post
Yes, know what you mean, even the standard quote layout disguises the facts so it's harder to compare the actual price your getting car for.

It's seems to be all about monthlies with most dealers, even had some change the term from 36 to 48 and omitting to mention !
Luckily have few that I can rely on a bit more.
I tend to go in armed with my iPad.

Some excel bits set up with tabs identifying other dealers, coast2coastcars etc already loaded up.

Then you can sit back looking at iPad, bit of tutting and sighing as you 'compare' figures, show them the coast2coast discount or similar again.
Appreciate 0