F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Use of Car Horns
Studio RSR

04-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Use of Car Horns

A comment in another thread got me thinking...

The main purpose of a car horn is to alert others to your presence, but it seem the majority of the time in the UK many people use it to signify anger or frustration. From my observations, the sound of a horn in the UK also provokes anger in many people and for this reason I try to avoid using it if possible.

I drive a lot in Italy where the car's horn is used almost as often as its indicators, for exactly the intended purpose.

When I'm driving in Italy, my wife (she's Italian) often comments that I 'should have honked' and tells me that I don't use the horn often enough.
When she drives in the UK, I tell her she uses it too often.

So what are your thoughts, do you beep out of anger? How does being beeped at make you feel?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
Buttons
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Simple rule applied here..... Don't drive like a dick and I won't beep at you!
(Not OP obviously)
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Depends on the culture of the country, you can't say what is right or wrong.

Some countries it's a given you get honked at all the time, so you accept this.

Last year I actually got out of my car at a junction, the light literally went from red to Amber and as they changed to green the cock in the SUV banged on his horn.

I looked in my mirror and he was gesticulating for me to go, so I just got out and had a chat to him.

Utter cock and yes was an Evoque.

Saying that on Friday going to work I beeped mine as I came to a roundabout, the car in the right hand lane was drifting in to my lane.

As a rule I rarely use it, lights yes for flashing.

Oh and finger for putting Window down
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshybum View Post

When I'm driving in Italy, my wife (she's Italian) often comments and tells me that I don't use the horn often enough.
Make your own jokes

Sorry couldn't resist.
      04-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal001
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshybum View Post

When I'm driving in Italy, my wife (she's Italian) often comments and tells me that I don't use the horn often enough.
Make your own jokes

Sorry couldn't resist.
I tried to avoid the use of 'horn' and 'my wife' in the same sentence for that exact reason. Guess I failed!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Yes I beep out of anger.

It's also useful when you're sitting in the car at the chops and some Dorris is reversing nearer....and nearer....and HONNNK!
      04-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

The horn is reserved for drivers of epic cuntyness.

So in our country used about 50 times in every journey!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand

Last year I actually got out of my car at a junction, the light literally went from red to Amber and as they changed to green the cock in the SUV banged on his horn.

I looked in my mirror and he was gesticulating for me to go, so I just got out and had a chat to him.

Saying that on Friday going to work I beeped mine as I came to a roundabout, the car in the right hand lane was drifting in to my lane.

I rarely flash lights unless on a motorway to let trucks pull out. At junctions etc, never. Mainly because I was taught not to in the RoSPA training but also because fcuktards take that as read they way is clear - not always the case that there's not another car waiting to hit them!

Horn, yes I use that occasionally.

Bull bars are the best, no need for noise or warning.
      04-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post
Yes I beep out of anger.

It's also useful when you're sitting in the car at the chops and some Dorris is reversing nearer....and nearer....and HONNNK!
This.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 05:01 AM   #10
selbram
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

It does seems strange how people get upset in the UK with use of the Horn.

I was behind a lady at a set of lights the other day, the light turned to green and a good few seconds had past and I noticed that she was looking down at something. I lightly hit the horn and she quickly looked up, but rather than move off, she starting make all sorts of rude gestures as i was wrong to use the horn. 3 cars managed to get through the lights, then she continued to make rude gestures for next 2 miles while driving around 10mph.

... i put it down to her having a bad day

I've travelled and many countries, for example India the use a short blip on the horn to let everyone know they are making a move or signify anything. Even on the back of the larger vehicles it says "Please use your Horn"

Name:  9952-140413-6100-ed-blow-horn-indian-truck-parked-up.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  59.3 KB

I think that we in the UK should accept that a short quick signal on the horn is not someone being aggressive and picking a fight, but perhaps someone politely trying to grab your attention.

Now if someone is banging the horn for minutes on end - that might mean they are p'd off
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 05:37 AM   #11
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I like honking when I draw alongside Audi and Merc drivers to remind them they bought the wrong car.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 06:31 AM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by selbram View Post
It does seems strange how people get upset in the UK with use of the Horn.

I was behind a lady at a set of lights the other day, the light turned to green and a good few seconds had past and I noticed that she was looking down at something. I lightly hit the horn and she quickly looked up, but rather than move off, she starting make all sorts of rude gestures as i was wrong to use the horn. 3 cars managed to get through the lights, then she continued to make rude gestures for next 2 miles while driving around 10mph.

... i put it down to her having a bad day

I've travelled and many countries, for example India the use a short blip on the horn to let everyone know they are making a move or signify anything. Even on the back of the larger vehicles it says "Please use your Horn"

Attachment 1399209

I think that we in the UK should accept that a short quick signal on the horn is not someone being aggressive and picking a fight, but perhaps someone politely trying to grab your attention.

Now if someone is banging the horn for minutes on end - that might mean they are p'd off

Basically No.

We should not be using it as per Italy, India etc.

It's a cultural thing, why should we change?

Also, when everyone is basically using their horn, it's hard to work out exactly who the fuck are they tooting at.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #13
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

I used the horn in my car yesterday and got a stain on the seat, anyone know how to remove it
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #14
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Basically No.

We should not be using it as per Italy, India etc.

It's a cultural thing, why should we change?

Also, when everyone is basically using their horn, it's hard to work out exactly who the fuck are they tooting at.
I was in Delhi a few years ago, the stench, poverty and dirtiness I could poke up with but the incessant use of their horns drove me round the bend
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #15
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966
I used the horn in my car yesterday and got a stain on the seat, anyone know how to remove it
      04-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #16
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

I think some are far to quick to use it. I was crossing the road on foot the other day and noticed a car hesitate a bit at a junction before turning.

Bit confusing for the driver behind I think but neither was moving very quickly. Car behind than gave two or three sharp blasts, basically bollocking the driver in front. This action made no difference whatsoever and looked to be a simple display of impatience and intolerance.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #17
rich100
Colonel
Rep

I few years ago I failed to realise the cultural differences between drivers in Crete and the uk.

Tried to be polite and courteous and flashed my lights a couple of times when I saw people trying to pull out in order to let them go.

Didn't really understand the rude gestures until I looked it up later and read that apparently flashing of lights in Crete doesn't mean I'm giving way please continue.... It is perceived as f@@k you I'm coming through.

rookie error ....
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #18
isleaiw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d SE, silver with black lea

There are cultural differences in the UK - in and around London they use them much more than we seem to in the Midlands and North, I assume its because they are a miserable and impatient bunch of .....

I use the horn rarely - I was once told that if you had time to press the horn you didnt need it and if someone was really going to hit you then you would be too busy trying to avoid them...

Although when some tw*t blocks my way on Hemel's magic roundabout I do tend to use it - have they not read the highway code where it says keep junctions clear!
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #19
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Fair play to you mate. I suspect many people are "double hard" whilst within the protective confines of their car but possibly not so much if someone actually does call them out.

Out of interest how did they react?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #20
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
Fair play you mate. I suspect many people are "double hard" whilst within the protective confines of their but possibly not so much of someone actually does call then out.

Shocked lol.

May be the Geordie accent thing.

I actually found out or at least they said, they may have been looking at wrong lights....
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #21
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
Fair play you mate. I suspect many people are "double hard" whilst within the protective confines of their but possibly not so much of someone actually does call then out.

Shocked lol.

May be the Geordie accent thing.

I actually found out or at least they said, they may have been looking at wrong lights....
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #22
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Friend of one of my neighbours has a habit of always hooting twice as he drives off after visiting them

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0