F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 8HP45 fluid change procedure
proTUNING Freaks

11-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #133
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
On the last step. If you open the fill plug while engine is not running and not going thru all gears prior, the level will be above the fill plug. You need to have the engine running to completely fill the transmission.
Agreed. The re-check is cycling through gears, engine running, then tranny in Park and check.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 01:14 AM   #134
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouth View Post
Agreed. The re-check is cycling through gears, engine running, then tranny in Park and check.
I think the second video posted :

Might touch on the issue people like Polo saw with refilling the transmission. (Skip to 12:30) Any clue if BMW uses a similar bypass for the cooler?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #135
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

^ Yeah, that video is long and slow but has good information is why I shared it. I was also wondering the same thing myself regarding Polo's issues. All I know is that I am more reserved about doing this myself with our most recent discussion in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #136
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
^ Yeah, that video is long and slow but has good information is why I shared it. I was also wondering the same thing myself regarding Polo's issues. All I know is that I am more reserved about doing this myself with our most recent discussion in this thread.
Screw it. I am doing it Monday. I will report back! LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 07:21 AM   #137
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

The first time I ever did this, I forgot to cycle through the gears
took the vehicle off the stands put everything back on
went for a drive
then realized through the procedure I forgot to cycle through the gears
had to put it back on stands and take everything off again
topped it off
guess what it did not take one pump from the transfer pump before it started streaming out
but please don't do what I did on my maiden voyage
which is why I suggest writing down the procedure and reviewing it several times before
and as always think safety first here
no money saved is worth your life
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #138
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
The first time I ever did this, I forgot to cycle through the gears
took the vehicle off the stands put everything back on
went for a drive
then realized through the procedure I forgot to cycle through the gears
had to put it back on stands and take everything off again
topped it off
guess what it did not take one pump from the transfer pump before it started streaming out
but please don't do what I did on my maiden voyage
which is why I suggest writing down the procedure and reviewing it several times before
and as always think safety first here
no money saved is worth your life
Did you allow the tranny fluid to cool off after the drive and pump in the fluid when the fluid temps were within specs for filling? If not and since the fluid expands when hot, it may not be accurate.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #139
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
Did you allow the tranny fluid to cool off after the drive and pump in the fluid when the fluid temps were within specs for filling? If not and since the fluid expands when hot, it may not be accurate.
Coeff of expansion of transmission oil is not much at all and the pan has a large surface area so any negligible expansion effect on depth is even more negligible
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #140
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

To each their own I guess. I'd stick with what ZF has clearly documented in their ATF refilling procedure manual where it clearly states that the fluid MUST be within the specified fluid temperatures in order to accurately fill the tranny. There must be a darn good reason for that...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:21 AM   #141
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
To each their own I guess. I'd stick with what ZF has clearly documented in their ATF refilling procedure manual where it clearly states that the fluid MUST be within the specified fluid temperatures in order to accurately fill the tranny. There must be a darn good reason for that...
Fair enough. However, for your own reference, I would suggest you measure out how much you drain out and see if you can fill the transmission with exactly what you drained out based on procedure in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #142
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
After 3 separate attempts on 2 different cars, I am not able to put back the amount of ATF I drained even having the car hooked up to ISTA and following it step by step.
Were there any detrimental affects to either of the 2 cars with any of the 3 separate attempts where you were missing a quart each? You'd think at least there will be more heat build up if there isn't enough lubrication or fluid touching the components.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #143
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Were there any detrimental affects to either of the 2 cars with any of the 3 separate attempts where you were missing a quart each? You'd think at least there will be more heat build up if there isn't enough lubrication or fluid touching the components.
Well, for the 2014 335i, the transmission was replaced at 96,000 miles under the extended warranty.

We added an additional liter of ATF to the 2016 X3 35i and no issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #144
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Just completed this Monday. It wasn't difficult but a little time consuming. I utilized a foxwell scanner for transmission temperature. It took FOREVER for it to come down to temp low enough for me to be comfortable to begin the process. While I waited I did an oil change, rear diff fluid, fuel filter, air filter and a brake fluid flush. After draining the pan I got 4.25 quarts out of the transmission. I was able to put about 2.8 back in with the car off. Started it and followed ZF's instructions (rev to 2k for 30 seconds in park to fill torque converter) then hold each gear for 10 seconds. At this point the transmission was slightly above ZF's recommendation for temperature but I continued with the fill process. With the engine running and car in park I was able to add about 1.7 more quarts into the transmission. (Give or take some as it ran out of the transmission a few times during the fill process.) Ultimately, I added just a little more than I took out which made me feel good about the whole process.

I removed this bracket to give me more space to remove the fill plug and to give room to run the hose for the fluid transfer pump.

I took a sample of the old fluid that I will send out to Blackstone in the next few days. I know it says lifetime fluid but I am curious to see what Blackstone says. The filter looks pretty full and was doing its job for sure. My 2014 328d had 49,960 miles on it and you can see in the photos the filter and what the magnets caught! The new ZF fluid is a very clear green. I put some of the old fluid on a paper towel so you guys could see.

I hope this post helps people who are thinking about doing this service/ wondering if it is worth while. I really wanted to take the time to do this and take photos for you guys. Feel free to ask any questions!
Appreciate 5
sspade2464.50
cxp213313.00
FaRKle!4016.00
Noelified228.00
      11-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #145
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Great job... what was total out of pocket cost not including lift rental?

Really interested in the rear end fluid change as well, is there a DIY that you followed?

Where is the fuel filter located? Have the part number handy?
Appreciate 1
jh_f301307.00
      11-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #146
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Great job... what was total out of pocket cost not including lift rental?
Thanks for the rep! really appreciate that.

Total cost was 317 (FCP Euro): https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-24118612901kt

Quote:
Really interested in the rear end fluid change as well, is there a DIY that you followed?
No DIY I followed. Though I could write one super easy if you'd like. I removed the damper/weight thing on the back off the differential for easier access. Removed the 14 mm hex fill plug and used a hose and pump to pump out fluid. (It was WAY dirtier than the trans fluid) Refilled with fluid. Total cost I think was like 15.99 for the liqui moly fluid.

Quote:
Where is the fuel filter located? Have the part number handy?
fuel

Look past the transmission pan its the silver cylinder. Total cost 34 bucks... https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ve-mah-kl7361d
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
jh_f301307.00
      11-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #147
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

I did the same procedure recently on my 2010 E90 335d. I started the job in the morning with the transmission at room temperature (around 75F). I do not have a lift but I have 2 ramps, a low profile long reach hydraulic jack and 2 jack stands.

Here is what I did. I measured front and rear top wheel well distance from the ground. I then jacked the front and put the front wheels on the ramps. Then, I jacked the rear until the car is parallel to the ground and used the jack stands on the rear jack point location. I had enough space to remove the transmission pan and install the new pan. For filling the transmission, I used a funnel with a long PVC hose (Home Depot or Lowes). I refilled the ATF from the top of the engine.

After the new pan and ATF, I used my Foxwell NT510 to reset the adaptation. My transmission is a 6HP26. I was able to put in almost 7 liters by following the ZF procedure by the letter. From start to finish, took me about 3 hours.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      11-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #148
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

This thread cracks me up and reminds me what I was reading back when I did the transmission fluid and filter change on my E46.

Considerable debate over fluid volumes, wrench sizes and Walmart vs. OE fluid brands.

Seems like nothing has changed.

Back in the day I crawled under the E46 and figured out the allen wrench size I needed, and bought the hybrid fluid BMW recommended when their transmission supplier (General Motors) was too stupid to develop a high quality one.

I did the change at about 75,000 miles and then I sold the car at about 85,000 miles.

Question: Who benefited, me or the second owner?

On this car, the 2015 F32, I plan on doing nothing. Let the next guy deal with it.

Fun to read the thread though, takes me back a few years.

podman
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #149
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
This thread cracks me up and reminds me what I was reading back when I did the transmission fluid and filter change on my E46.

Considerable debate over fluid volumes, wrench sizes and Walmart vs. OE fluid brands.

Back in the day I crawled under the E46 and figured out the allen wrench size I needed, and bought the hybrid fluid BMW recommended when their transmission supplier (General Motors) was too stupid to develop a high quality one.

I did the change at about 75,000 miles and then I sold the car at about 85,000 miles.

On this car, the 2015 F32, I plan on doing nothing. Let the next guy deal with it.

podman
I drive about 25-30k per year. Plan to keep the car until around 160k. So this will benefit me directly!
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
Noelified228.00
      11-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #150
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post

podman

The next guy will deal with it at your expense via resale value. Near certainty of an out of pocket drivetrain replacement means the next buyer must price that into the offer.

That's why I never buy used - time is money. Who has the time to be f'ing around with someone else's second servings lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #151
deusexe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Sorry for my english but I've got a problem. I replaced the oil in the original parts and ZF oil with static replacement. Now, when I go to D, the manual gearbox is switched on from time to time with simultaneous reduction. And after a few seconds he returns to D. The incident happens sporadically in the summer. (once, two a month) And unfortunately in the winter at a temperature of about zero degrees every day. I have already mentioned even the selector, because I suspected that it was failing, but nothing improved...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #152
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deusexe View Post
Sorry for my english but I've got a problem. I replaced the oil in the original parts and ZF oil with static replacement. Now, when I go to D, the manual gearbox is switched on from time to time with simultaneous reduction. And after a few seconds he returns to D. The incident happens sporadically in the summer. (once, two a month) And unfortunately in the winter at a temperature of about zero degrees every day. I have already mentioned even the selector, because I suspected that it was failing, but nothing improved...
I'm not sure how this procedure is going to help your situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #153
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
The next guy will deal with it at your expense via resale value. Near certainty of an out of pocket drivetrain replacement means the next buyer must price that into the offer.

That's why I never buy used - time is money. Who has the time to be f'ing around with someone else's second servings lol.
It is not clear now long lasting the ZF 8AT can be without servicing, but do note there are E46 and E39 with 5MT that lasts till 200k on filter + fluid from factory.

ZF's recommendation is key, namely, if transmission fluid frequently encounters very high operating temperature(based on driving styles), then the fluid will need to be serviced per ZF guidelines. Otherwise even ZF does not recommend replacing fluid provided operating temperature is low.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #154
deusexe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Angry

That's how it looks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3bVK5m3U0s
Appreciate 0