F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Monoball bushing size rwd vs xdrive
Studio RSR

07-05-2022, 06:34 PM   #1
Figgs_1979
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i, 2010 MCS

Monoball bushing size rwd vs xdrive

I been searching and can't find the answer. Are the xdrive and rwd front thrust arm and wishbone the same diameter.

For example.

I buy the milltech, vac or dinan monoball bushings do they fit on both the rwd and xdrive arms??

Why are dinans exclusive to rwd? Couldn't I just slip then into a set of xdrive arms??

Curious...I know I need to arms cause well the driver side is leaking was thinking of getting some lemforders and swapping out for monoball??
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 07:42 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figgs_1979 View Post
Are the xdrive and rwd front thrust arm and wishbone the same diameter.
For example.
I buy the milltech, vac or dinan monoball bushings do they fit on both the rwd and xdrive arms??
Curious...I know I need to arms cause well the driver side is leaking was thinking of getting some lemforders and swapping out for monoball??
i do not know anything about millway or dinan.

i believe the VAC monoball units are the same for either, however the shims for RWD and X-drive are different and have specific orientation. VAC sends theirs installed in the desired OEM arm(rwd or xd), with the correct shims installed, oriented correctly and ziptied.

the VAC uses either TRW or Lemforder arms, both are OEM...there is no concern with either. VAC sent me TRW and the OEM arm i removed was TRW.

buying the arms with the monoballs pre-installed will be cheaper and easier since you need not press out the OEM and press in the desired monoball. if they use shims like VAC does, it comes with the correct shims, correctly oriented so that you can just "plug and play".

i installed my VAC thrust arms in less than two hours. although there are only 2x connection points on each arm, i took longer than normal because i'm methodical and took my time.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
The stock bushings (and thus aftermarket monoball housings) are the same OD between xDrive and RWD for the tension strut/thrust arms. What differs between xDrive and RWD is the spacing between the mounts in the subframe. The space on either side of the bushing/monoball to the subframe mount is the same for RWD, but on xDrive one side has a larger gap than the other so two sized spacers are required for those monoball kits.

So the reason why Dinan are RWD specific are because they don't make the appropriate sized spacer to fill the void between the monoball housing/arm and the subframe mount.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 3
Ennoch2257.00
Jvac432.00