F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Finally Got My 1st Decent Log! Opinions Please?
Studio RSR

10-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Finally Got My 1st Decent Log! Opinions Please?

After a bunch of error messages, I finally saved my first decent log! Would you guys who are experienced with reviewing logs please take a look and provide your opinions? Thanks in advance!

2015 335i N55 EWG BootMod3 Stage2 93 Octane OTS tune

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5da5d76bc090c64dcce41c79
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
After a bunch of error messages, I finally saved my first decent log! Would you guys who are experienced with reviewing logs please take a look and provide your opinions? Thanks in advance!

What in the hell happened at 6700rpms, did you just bounce off the rev limiter and not switch gears??
      10-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
What in the hell happened at 6700rpms, did you just bounce off the rev limiter and not switch gears??
He must have Better check it is working from time to time

Log looks good. Great boost control! Try add some octane booster to see if that will clean up the timing (nothing to worry about though).
      10-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post

Log looks good. Great boost control! Try add some octane booster to see if that will clean up the timing (nothing to worry about though).
Right sorry, yes the log looks good aside from my initial reaction!
      10-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:

Try the 91 octane map also (running 93) and see how timing looks
      10-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
That's what it felt like!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for giving my graph a look. Hmm. Interesting that you commented on the boost control. This is actually an "After" log taken after installing two new mods on my stock turbo N55 EWG.

1) Pure Turbos N55 inlet pipe, enlarged the unboosted air inlet to the stock turbo by 42%
2) Turbosmart's new electronic N55 Blow Off Valve, plumb back version, replaced my stock Diverter Valve.

I thought that I had two good "Before" logs but the data was screwed up. I was attempting to see if I could reproduce data that another guy got when the addition of the Pure Turbos inlet increased his MAF reading from 5,000 RPMs and up.

I saved labor costs by installing both parts at the same time so this whole thing isn't a perfectly designed scientific experiment. I am getting MAF values up to 46 which is higher than he got. He was trying to estimate added horsepower from increased MAF numbers. Not sure how valid that assumption is. Tough when you only have a butt dyno!

My car is running very powerfully with an obvious decrease in low end turbo lag and an obvious increase in horsepower and torque. The engine just feels like it has power all of the time. Pretty cool!
I was hoping to have some real data to share but I'll be writing it all up and posting with photos over the next couple of days.
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      10-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD- USA

Quote:
2) Turbosmart's new electronic N55 Blow Off Valve, plumb back version, replaced my stock Diverter Valve.

Do you have a link to the one you are using?

I jut don't see one for a EWG N55

TY
(Retired - 1987 325i Vert)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungatron View Post
Quote:

TY
Sure I'll send it when I get home tonight
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

TY
I got it from Kies Motorsports. Bryan did an amazing job installing it on my 2015 335ix N55 EWG. There are two N55 models with links below.

Plumb Back Model which is quieter
https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...30992487317589

Dual Port Model which puts out a whoosh sound when it opens
https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...30992358899797

It is a huge upgrade. Rather than dumping all of the boost like the stock Diverter Valve, the Turbosmart electronic Blow Off Valve is more intelligent which eliminates a lot of the turbo lag. So great to step on the accelerator and get instant response.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:36 AM   #11
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

I wonder if they make one for the PWG... on their website even the ones for the e92 N55 have a harness like it's electric, but I don't think it should :
      10-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
I wonder if they make one for the PWG... on their website even the ones for the e92 N55 have a harness like it's electric, but I don't think it should :
I need to double check later when I have a chance but I think it works on PWG and EWG N55 engines. Remember those are both different waste gates for the N55. But I'm pretty sure they both use the same stock N55 diverter valve.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #13
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

TY
I got it from Kies Motorsports. Bryan did an amazing job installing it on my 2015 335ix N55 EWG. There are two N55 models with links below.

It is a huge upgrade. Rather than dumping all of the boost like the stock Diverter Valve, the Turbosmart electronic Blow Off Valve is more intelligent which eliminates a lot of the turbo lag. So great to step on the accelerator and get instant response.
How does this increase turbo response? The diverter valve is there to bleed of pressure when throttle is closed.
      10-27-2019, 12:03 AM   #14
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

TY

How does this increase turbo response? The diverter valve is there to bleed of pressure when throttle is closed.
I'm not a guru on this but my understanding is that the stock diverter valve in certain situations dumps too much pressure. Subsequently when you step on the gas it has to build back up causing a delayed response/turbo lag.

The Turbosmart bleeds pressure down to a safe level but maintains pressure so it's right there when you step on the gas. I don't know if I did the explanation justice but it absolutely works. Bryan and I both test drove the car right after the installation and the difference was obvious. It's a blast to drive.
Appreciate 1
harkes1077.00
      12-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #15
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

TY

I'm not a guru on this but my understanding is that the stock diverter valve in certain situations dumps too much pressure. Subsequently when you step on the gas it has to build back up causing a delayed response/turbo lag.

The Turbosmart bleeds pressure down to a safe level but maintains pressure so it's right there when you step on the gas. I don't know if I did the explanation justice but it absolutely works. Bryan and I both test drove the car right after the installation and the difference was obvious. It's a blast to drive.
UPDATE:
Kies Motorsports just released a YouTube video showing Bryan installing the N55 Turbosmart BOV replacement for the stock Diverter Valve. He installed the louder Dual Port model on his car. He previously installed the quieter Plumb Back model on my car. Link to video below.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #16
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE:
Kies Motorsports just released a YouTube video showing Bryan installing the N55 Turbosmart BOV replacement for the stock Diverter Valve. He installed the louder Dual Port model on his car. He previously installed the quieter Plumb Back model on my car. Link to video below.
Do you have logs before/after the Turbosmart? A noticeable difference?
      12-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
UPDATE:
My "after" log is at the top of this thread. Unfortunately my "before" log was messed up. I had two mods installed at the same time: the Turbosmart N55 BOV (Plumb Back model) and the Pure Turbos Inlet Pipe.

Two other guys installed just the PT Inlet on their N55's. I have their before and after logs somewhere on my laptop. Both show a consistent increase in MAF value from 5000rpm upwards. I understand from them that MAF correlates to horsepower. We've all been told by knowledgeable people that there is no benefit to upgrading the inlet on a stock turbo engine, but our logs and butt dynos seem to refute that.

My "after" log differs from theirs in that my car achieved a MAF value over 40. I'm attributing that to the hp/tq increase predicted in my conversation with Turbosmart. I wanted to do before and after dyno runs to quantify the performance gain. But Turbosmart was in the midst of rolling out the product and weren't interested. They said that they don't really market this product based on dyno testing.

Bryan at Kies Motorsports test drove my car after he installed the BOV and PT Inlet. He was impressed how strong it felt. He commented that many of the intakes sacrifice power for sound. He speculated that the BOV could add sound to a quieter intake too. The Dual Port BOV that he installed on his car in his video is a way to get some extra sound. I'm going back to his shop for something else in the next couple of weeks and am anxious to hear his car live with the Dual Port BOV.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
UPDATE:
My "after" log is at the top of this thread. Unfortunately my "before" log was messed up. I had two mods installed at the same time: the Turbosmart N55 BOV (Plumb Back model) and the Pure Turbos Inlet Pipe.

Two other guys installed just the PT Inlet on their N55's. I have their before and after logs somewhere on my laptop. Both show a consistent increase in MAF value from 5000rpm upwards. I understand from them that MAF correlates to horsepower. We've all been told by knowledgeable people that there is no benefit to upgrading the inlet on a stock turbo engine, but our logs and butt dynos seem to refute that.

My "after" log differs from theirs in that my car achieved a MAF value over 40. I'm attributing that to the hp/tq increase predicted in my conversation with Turbosmart. I wanted to do before and after dyno runs to quantify the performance gain. But Turbosmart was in the midst of rolling out the product and weren't interested. They said that they don't really market this product based on dyno testing.

Bryan at Kies Motorsports test drove my car after he installed the BOV and PT Inlet. He was impressed how strong it felt. He commented that many of the intakes sacrifice power for sound. He speculated that the BOV could add sound to a quieter intake too. The Dual Port BOV that he installed on his car in his video is a way to get some extra sound. I'm going back to his shop for something else in the next couple of weeks and am anxious to hear his car live with the Dual Port BOV.
Can you show us exactly what Turbosmart said about the hp/tq predictions?
      12-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
UPDATE:

Can you show us exactly what Turbosmart said about the hp/tq predictions?
If you read the Turbosmart documentation I don't think they mention horsepower or torque. In conversation I suggested maybe me trying to find a dyno to do a before and after. They didn't express any interest in that, indicating that it wasn't a part of their product introduction/marketing program.
Appreciate 0