F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > EGR cooler recall
GetBMWParts

11-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #177
dexterdpc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d F30 Luxury Line

After they replaced my EGR and Manifold a few weeks ago within 3 days the check engine light came on and BimmerLink showed vacuum error. Took it back to Pacific in Glendale and turns out when they installed the new vacuum hoses on the EGR, they kinked one of the hoses so it rendered the EGR ineffective. I don't know if you can see it without taking everything apart, but they put more new hoses on and been fine since...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #178
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Mine passed the inspection. However, I do wonder what they reset in the PCM while they were in there. The car felt and sounded different with a bit more diesel clatter. After a couple of weeks that seems to be going away.

I'm using the car for my commute as I bought my wife a 2018 GLC. Seeing close to 40 mpg on my commute so looks like the thing is actually running well.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #179
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Mine passed the inspection. However, I do wonder what they reset in the PCM while they were in there. The car felt and sounded different with a bit more diesel clatter. After a couple of weeks that seems to be going away.

I'm using the car for my commute as I bought my wife a 2018 GLC. Seeing close to 40 mpg on my commute so looks like the thing is actually running well.
I assume they updated the dde software and reset adaptations, those two things could have a temporary effect on the diesel clatter. I had dde software updated last week and noticed a temporary increase in noise that has either gone away or I acclimated to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:32 AM   #180
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Find the hissing, you may have some soot to help identify where it is. Hissing sound correlates with the error code description you have given. Maybe you have a cracked or damaged intercooler if you have a hard time locating?
When I got the charge pipe replaced I had the mechanic check all other piping and I specifically mentioned the intercooler but nothing was found. Maybe a smoke leak test is the only way to fully find it.

Another guy I know who also has a 330d had the EGR recall carried out on his car and the hissing is still there afterwards so at least I know it doesn't have anything to do with that.

The thing is, I got the car remapped and I mentioned this to the guy doing it. He said that the car is holding boost as expected even though the hissing is there. It's coming from the turbo area (which is right in front of the driving position) and the remap made it louder so I'm guessing it's either induction noise or it's just the turbo wastegate releasing air/pressure it doesn't need at a given RPM.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #181
SCuomo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xd SportsWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion914 View Post
I landed a CEL a few days after having the EGR cooler recall addressed. This CEL came with a Drivetrain Malfunction popup. T'was the EGR itself this time. Not covered under warranty so swapped it myself and no more CELs since.
Dealer inspected for the EGR cooler recall on my 2014 328d, and said it was fine. Next day engine light came on, and not long after that I got a drivetrain malfunction light, then a few days later a loss of power. Dealer says the EGR itself is gone, and there is still no problem with the EGR cooler. He wants $625 to replace the EGR itself. Is it just a wild coincidence that the day after they inspect for the EGR cooler recall my EGR valve goes bad? Seems strange...

Last edited by SCuomo; 11-06-2019 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #182
Tomo366
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
They did mine a few weeks ago said it was just a gasket no problems yet
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #183
bringit
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just booked an appointment next week to have this recall done.

So the last week I started to get a coolant low light when starting the car. The light came on three different times but after a drive the light would go off and a few days later I would encounter there same issue. There are no visible signs of a coolant leak. I briefly spoke with a SA at the dealer and she said the fluctuation in the temperature could cause the coolant to expand or contract. Told me to bring in the car to top it off and see how the car is after a few days. Which I just did today.

The first time the light came on we did have a big dip in temperature but isn't the cooling system a closed system? I never had a car where the coolant needed to be topped up. I'm just curious to the validity of her comments. Again the light came on today and today there was also a big dip in temperature.

The car is a 14' 328d..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #184
dexterdpc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d F30 Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringit View Post
I just booked an appointment next week to have this recall done.

The car is a 14' 328d..
I have the '14 328d as well and it was losing at least 1 liter of coolant every three months with no leaks visible. The EGR was just very defective. Before the recall fix, it was obvious when I popped the hood that the reservoir was low each time the light came on though. After they replaced the system under the recall, no more losing coolant. Hopefully that will fix yours...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #185
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Anyone just end up deleting the EGR instead?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #186
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 N47

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Anyone just end up deleting the EGR instead?
The cost of coding the EGR out was 2x the cost of a replacement EGR. One day though...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #187
Hangman4358
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 328d Sportline

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
2014 328d F31  [0.00]
Dropped my car of at the dealer on October 16th for the recall. Car is sitting at dealer until parts come, can't release because of it being a safety issue. ETA for parts is mid December. Driving a bone stock G20 330i until then
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 06:43 AM   #188
bringit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman4358 View Post
Dropped my car of at the dealer on October 16th for the recall. Car is sitting at dealer until parts come, can't release because of it being a safety issue. ETA for parts is mid December. Driving a bone stock G20 330i until then
I just dropped off my car this morning.. I hope this doesn't happen to me.. no loaner either because I didn't buy the car from them..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #189
LuckyB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328D

Recall

I took my 16 328d to the dealership yesterday for service. The SA made me aware of the recall and wanted to know if I wanted it serviced for that. I asked if there was a reason I shouldn't get it performed. He mentioned that a few owners have actually denied the service, but didn't know a reason. I opted for the recall service. After leaving the dealership in the loaner I started googling and found this thread. I read up on a few others and the horror stories in relation.
I received a call later in the afternoon around 3 from my SA letting me know that "i'm in a later stage" and that those parts would need to be replaced before returning the car to me. He said he would call me the next day and let me know the shipping times. I get a call today saying that the EGR cooler, Boost pressure sensor & intake pipe w/ air flap will need to be changed and that i'm looking at mid December before they receive the parts. They stated that it's ok to drive the car. I asked if I had a choice and they stated no.
This information doesn't correspond with anything i've seen here and I understand that I could be thinking the worst here and over reacting, but I wanted to be sure. I called BMW NA recall line and they told me that they are relying on the dealer and if that is what they said then that is what I need to do. I thanked them and told them I just wanted to do my proper research.
I called my SA back and he assured me he wouldn't put me or my family in any danger. I am to pick up my car in the morning.
Am I over thinking things here? I don't have another alternative vehicle so kind of don't have a choice in the matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #190
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyB View Post
I took my 16 328d to the dealership yesterday for service. The SA made me aware of the recall and wanted to know if I wanted it serviced for that. I asked if there was a reason I shouldn't get it performed. He mentioned that a few owners have actually denied the service, but didn't know a reason. I opted for the recall service. After leaving the dealership in the loaner I started googling and found this thread. I read up on a few others and the horror stories in relation.
I received a call later in the afternoon around 3 from my SA letting me know that "i'm in a later stage" and that those parts would need to be replaced before returning the car to me. He said he would call me the next day and let me know the shipping times. I get a call today saying that the EGR cooler, Boost pressure sensor & intake pipe w/ air flap will need to be changed and that i'm looking at mid December before they receive the parts. They stated that it's ok to drive the car. I asked if I had a choice and they stated no.
This information doesn't correspond with anything i've seen here and I understand that I could be thinking the worst here and over reacting, but I wanted to be sure. I called BMW NA recall line and they told me that they are relying on the dealer and if that is what they said then that is what I need to do. I thanked them and told them I just wanted to do my proper research.
I called my SA back and he assured me he wouldn't put me or my family in any danger. I am to pick up my car in the morning.
Am I over thinking things here? I don't have another alternative vehicle so kind of don't have a choice in the matter.
My SA told me that they had suspended inspecting for this recall because of the parts backorder.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #191
bringit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dealer called to pickup the car.. inspection results appear fine and they only replaced the o ring as per the instructions..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:30 PM   #192
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringit View Post
Dealer called to pickup the car.. inspection results appear fine and they only replaced the o ring as per the instructions..
Just picked mine up today with the same thing. No issues reported and O ring replaced. Not sure if I fully believe it, but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #193
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Neither of the dealers here will inspect my car because of the parts backlog. Just put me on a list to contact once the parts come in.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #194
StealthnShadow
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M2 (LCI)

Well I will keep this brief:

I scheduled and took my wagon (14 328D) in for the recall on 11/1/19.

On 11/7/19 I was told that I needed to have replaced almost everything under the recall (intake manifold, map sensor, egr cooler, vacuum lines, etc.)

On around 11/11/19 I was told parts were on back order and to expect them by mid December or January.

Today and two loaner cars later I am still waiting for parts to come in. My wagon is literally just been sitting this whole time.

UPDATE: 12/5 Wagon is supposedly ready for pick up I will find out more tomorrow morning. This was unexpected but I am happy they finished without any issues.
      01-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #195
Chukker
Mini Cooper, Present F15 Owner
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 D

Yikes. I'm late to the party!!!

I bought my '15 328D in September '19. Then I found this site! Once again, a day late, many dollars short, possibly. My car has 56K miles on it. I've gone through a brake flush, LOF, and ... added a little coolant and DEF because I was low on both. I stopped by my nearest BMW dealership and talked to the SA to see what kind of service my car had undergone. Pretty minimal, actually, but he did mention the EGR recall inspection and told me if my car was affected, they'd need to keep it until the parts came in. I live 200+ miles from the dealership so this isn't going to be convenient if they impound the car.

So the questions in my mind:

1. Would an EGR delete be the real fix?
2. What does "coding" out the EGR actually do?
3. Does this shut off the EGR valve leaving it to no longer serving a function other than decoration?

I am a survivor of BMW/NA and a recall dilemma on MINI Cooper power steering pumps. They began by extending the warranty to cover cars that had expired until the NHTSA made them do a recall. I ended up having the power steering pump replaced three times under those directives. What a goat rope!

Sorry I'm late to the party but I'm wondering what to do next with my 328d - do a hardware/coding delete or let the recall process run its course. Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #196
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

The recall replaces the EGR cooler that had internal stress cracks with an updated part that isn't faulty.

They may replace up to the intake manifold as needed.
It is a definitive fix.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #197
Chukker
Mini Cooper, Present F15 Owner
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
The recall replaces the EGR cooler that had internal stress cracks with an updated part that isn't faulty.

They may replace up to the intake manifold as needed.
It is a definitive fix.
Thx. I don't live in a part of the world that has emissions testing (yet) which is why I am interested in the EGR/DEF delete. This would also be a definitive fix and from what I gather, results in more grunt and MPG. I might pay for that...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #198
EricD735i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘16 328d & ‘16 X3 28d

Couple of data points: took both my cars in for the EGR recall in the last 30 days. Both passed with no issues.
Appreciate 0