F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > f30 car went in Neutral on its own while driving then died
Extreme Powerhouse

09-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #1
tylertyler
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 320i

Unhappy f30 car went in Neutral on its own while driving then died

I was driving my car on the highway at normal speed yesterday. Suddenly, my car went in Neutral from Drive on its own, lose all power without any engine light on my dashboard (no engine light before either), just a message showed up, I can't read, it happens too fast, I have to take action. I roll it slowly to a safe place then my car just died.

My car lost all electrical power, I cannot even turn on flash (or blink signal). I cant start the car. The weird thing is, after I call a tow truck to bring my car to a local indy shop, I saw my tail light was kept on. Other electric parts are just dead. The mechanic cannot even open my trunk.

I didn't see any engine issue, I wondered maybe something wrong with my battery or alternator. btw my car is a 2014 320i 75000km. I never replace my car's battery.

Since it happens near the end of the day, the mechanic can't tell what's wrong with my car, I have to left my car in their indy shop.

I'll update it see what's happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Your battery is dead. It's 7+ years old. Why wait this long? At year 5, I start thinking of replacing the battery which is good because I've never had battery make it past 4.5 years.

Hook up a jump pack to the under hood posts and that might give you power to unlock the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 11:02 PM   #3
tylertyler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Your battery is dead. It's 7+ years old. Why wait this long? At year 5, I start thinking of replacing the battery which is good because I've never had battery make it past 4.5 years.

Hook up a jump pack to the under hood posts and that might give you power to unlock the trunk.
thanks a lot, ill try it!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A dead battery won't cause the car to stop. Once the engine is running the power required to operate it is provided by the alternator. You can even disconnect the battery and the car will function. The battery might be part of the problem, but it's highly unlikely to be the only problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 02:30 AM   #5
KarimS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post

It still renders me speechless that BMW places the battery in a location that is only accessible if the car has... well, a working battery. Horrible design.

On another note - and as the person above me posted - a dead battery won't make your car go into neutral and stop working completely. The battery probably needs replacing, but there's more here.
Appreciate 2
      09-28-2021, 01:10 AM   #6
tylertyler
Rep

Just update, my mechanic said my car's FEM module is damaged. I need to get a new one and program it, it costs me a lot of money . He said FEM is mostly cost damaged by water, but my car doesn't look like it's been flooded he checked. I think it might be because of the rainstorm in my city recently, and it cause some electric wire shorted, it is 7 years old car, maybe the waterproof is not good anymore?

Or is it some common issue? About a year ago, I found my car's windows don't work properly when I close it, it keeps up and down, I have to try several times to close it entirely every time. I ignore it since I thought it is not a big issue. And I found the FEM module is used to control these kinds of stuff.

ill see does it gonna save my car or not, still waiting for the part.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The FEM controls just about everything electrical in the front of the car and a good amount in the back of the car as well. Water damage to the FEM is rare, as it's tucked behind the front foot well trim inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #8
tylertyler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The FEM controls just about everything electrical in the front of the car and a good amount in the back of the car as well. Water damage to the FEM is rare, as it's tucked behind the front foot well trim inside the car.
alright, thanks for the reply. I have no clue how I damage this module, but I'll see how does it work after replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #9
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 120i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarimS View Post
It still renders me speechless that BMW places the battery in a location that is only accessible if the car has... well, a working battery. Horrible design.

On another note - and as the person above me posted - a dead battery won't make your car go into neutral and stop working completely. The battery probably needs replacing, but there's more here.
It's called weight balance! LOL You should be banned for this
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #10
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

There's places online that repair fem.modules. try contact them first. This way u don't need to reprogram. U just unplug, send to them. They send back and you are good to go. Search bmw fem repair
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #11
tylertyler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp View Post
There's places online that repair fem.modules. try contact them first. This way u don't need to reprogram. U just unplug, send to them. They send back and you are good to go. Search bmw fem repair
thanks bro!
Appreciate 1
racermp190.00
      10-18-2021, 10:46 PM   #12
tylertyler
Rep

final update, my car is fixed now. It is the fem issue, Maybe it is a common issue, I still can't figure out why it failed, and my car is out of warranty. My mechanic ordered a new one from Germany for me and install. we got it to program at the dealer, thanks for yall the advice, I will keep this post for reference if anyone else needs help too
Appreciate 0