F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car detailing
proTUNING Freaks

03-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D M SPORT

Car detailing

Sorry guys to have started a new thread as it probably has been covered before
I am cancelling my seal & protect and decided to have it professionaly detailed. I ask my dealer how long they spend applying seal&protect and the answear was "i don't know" so i don't really see a point paying them £400 for something they don't have a clue about.
So my first question is that..

1. is it a good idea if i detail the car myself? I have been polishing and waxing quite alot in past 5-6 years. Also can buy all the good products including electric polisher under £400. (Do you really need 1?? Or it can be hand polish) I havn't actually used a polisher but it dsnt seem thAt difficult after watching a youtube.

2. If it ain't a good idea then is there someone whom you would recommend? I am in Blackburn Lancashire and how much will it cost.?? Can also travel and stay over if it really matters

Thanks in advance guysrolleyes:
      03-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Machine polishing of scratches, etc needs practice.

You can certainly carry out a good detail yourself if you have the time and know how.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Get a detailer to do it. DO NOT TOUCH A POWERED POLISHER!

If you do like idea of detailing, some do training courses.

For a new car, it is more the sealant that is required.

Polish is used to remove marks within the paint (swirls etc) then usually detailer applies product he uses.

Untrained people + electric polisher = respray

Checking out http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...splay.php?f=89

Or someone on here may advise.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Machine polishing of scratches, etc needs practice.

You can certainly carry out a good detail yourself if you have the time and know how.
Do i need machine polish? Or just hand polish will do
      03-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Get a detailer to do it. DO NOT TOUCH A POWERED POLISHER!

If you do like idea of detailing, some do training courses.

For a new car, it is more the sealant that is required.

Polish is used to remove marks within the paint (swirls etc) then usually detailer applies product he uses.

Untrained people + electric polisher = respray

Checking out http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...splay.php?f=89

Or someone on here may advise.
So the detailers wont use machine unless theres swirls marks?? bmw seal&protect= swirls and scratches right ?
      03-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
Sabo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i

You definitely made the right decision not having it done by dealer. If you are familier with car detailing you can easily do it yourself it's all about preparation a good wash folowed by claying if necessary and just apply sealant/wax of your choice, I wouldn't want to attack the new car paintwork with a polisher unless it's really needed you can get rid of small marks by using hand polisher products like farelcaG3, autoglym polish etc. save that clearcoat for future corrections. Using rotary polisher is not rocket science but does require practice as it's very easy to get hologram marks in the paint work or ruin it on the edges/corners where the paint is thinner, my advice would be to buy a body panel(like boot lid, door, or bumper) from breakers or ebay if you'd like to practice.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
DrSteve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xdrive msport+

You'll not be able to correct the paint without an polisher. You can certainly wash, clay and apply products by hand to achieve a great result but you'll never get the swirls out. I'm getting my car detailed before picking it up - washed, decontaminated, clayed, paint corrected and then sealed. Looking like about £300 for this.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
You'll not be able to correct the paint without an polisher. You can certainly wash, clay and apply products by hand to achieve a great result but you'll never get the swirls out. I'm getting my car detailed before picking it up - washed, decontaminated, clayed, paint corrected and then sealed. Looking like about £300 for this.
How would you get the car detailed before picking it up???
      03-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saby View Post
You definitely made the right decision not having it done by dealer. If you are familier with car detailing you can easily do it yourself it's all about preparation a good wash folowed by claying if necessary and just apply sealant/wax of your choice, I wouldn't want to attack the new car paintwork with a polisher unless it's really needed you can get rid of small marks by using hand polisher products like farelcaG3, autoglym polish etc. save that clearcoat for future corrections. Using rotary polisher is not rocket science but does require practice as it's very easy to get hologram marks in the paint work or ruin it on the edges/corners where the paint is thinner, my advice would be to buy a body panel(like boot lid, door, or bumper) from breakers or ebay if you'd like to practice.
I havn't clayed before either so i guess it will have to be a pro detailer
      03-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
DrSteve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
How would you get the car detailed before picking it up???
The detailer is coming in to do the new car prep instead of the guys in the dealership. Car will come off the trailer and sit unwashed till he gets his hands on it. Dealership is letting him carry out the work in their premises and will let the car sit indoors for a few days until the sealant cures. Must say they have been excellent about it. Must think I'm a nutter though.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The detailer is coming in to do the new car prep instead of the guys in the dealership. Car will come off the trailer and sit unwashed till he gets his hands on it. Dealership is letting him carry out the work in their premises and will let the car sit indoors for a few days until the sealant cures. Must say they have been excellent about it. Must think I'm a nutter though.
Right..i will ask my dealer if that's possible coz i wouldn't want them to wash or touch the car...the problem is now finding a good detailer who wud agree to do tht
      03-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
DrSteve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Detailingworld forums are great but be prepared to spend a lot on things you didn't know you wanted or needed!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Detailingworld forums are great but be prepared to spend a lot on things you didn't know you wanted or needed!!
Agree...
Once i get it detailed..suppose regular wash and wax will do..?
      03-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I've probably got about £400 of detailing products and would consider myself to be a competent amateur. However, I would NOT use a machine polisher! A gentle hand polish/pre-wax cleans is all that is required on a new car. Unless there are scratches that need attention.

I used DoDo Juice Lime Prime to hand polish my last car. This is a mid abrasive polish and takes out most minor swirls etc with some elbow. For my new car I've bought some DoDo Juice Supernatural Micro Prime, it's less abrasive and better suited to a car that doesn't need restoration...

I helped my mate Hand Polish with Lime Prime his 04 3 Series last summer and it came up with a great shine and a different colour!

Hand polishing is the way unless you're experienced or working on a car that is really faded and you have nothing to loose. I wouldn't learn to machine polish on a brand new car!

Wash
Iron remover
Clay
Hand Polish/Pre-wax Cleanser
Wax
Seal if you want.

I was going to get my car detailed but couldn't due to the guy moving on...

So, let the dealership prepare it... They did a good job and I can't see any swirls. Phew... Just waiting for the weather to improve so I can spend a day going over the car properly. Still need to invest in a Jack etc to do the wheels properly.
      03-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
I've probably got about £400 of detailing products and would consider myself to be a competent amateur. However, I would NOT use a machine polisher! A gentle hand polish/pre-wax cleans is all that is required on a new car. Unless there are scratches that need attention.

I used DoDo Juice Lime Prime to hand polish my last car. This is a mid abrasive polish and takes out most minor swirls etc with some elbow. For my new car I've bought some DoDo Juice Supernatural Micro Prime, it's less abrasive and better suited to a car that doesn't need restoration...

I helped my mate Hand Polish with Lime Prime his 04 3 Series last summer and it came up with a great shine and a different colour!

Hand polishing is the way unless you're experienced or working on a car that is really faded and you have nothing to loose. I wouldn't learn to machine polish on a brand new car!

Wash
Iron remover
Clay
Wax
Seal if you want.

So, let the dealership prepare it... They did a good job and I can't see any swirls. Phew... Just waiting for the weather to improve so I can spend a day going over the car properly. Still need to invest in a Jack etc to do the wheels properly.
Thanks rich..i wont use machine now thats defo.
Sorry but i need to know why have you bought another polish if it has been prepared by dealer?? Do u still polish or wax after it has been sealed? Are you not suppose to just wash the car until it wears off (5-6 months)
      03-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #16
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

How bad is the car for a start? A DA polisher with a selection of pads would probably do...with a DA it is harder to make an arse of it, unless it is soft paint which BMW is not. A rotary concentrates on one part/spot of the pain where as a DA is constantly moving at a lower speed....so can take longer although much safer and harder to make an arse of.

As some have said

Wash with 2 buckets and a decent wash mitt (not sponges)
Autosmart Tardis to remove any tar etc. (rinse car afterwards)
Clay bar or clay mitt process
DA the car..this can take a whole long day dependant on the paint condition
wipe down with a 50/50 solution of IPA and water to get rid of the polish oils
Apply a durable wax, which can range from £20 to £200..if it is durabilti you want either Collonite 476 or Soft99 Fusso coat...or Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid wax (this is actually very good for £25).

Maintain the car from there with a PH natural shampoo such as Chemical Guys Glossworkz, dry with a microfiber and maintain with a QD spray.

If you want some advice on DA and polishing products and a place to buy them, call David at Chemical Guys UK...he is very helpful and will point you in the right direction.

Other stuff I have mentioned can be bought on ebay.
      03-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
Sorry but i need to know why have you bought another polish if it has been prepared by dealer?? Do u still polish or wax after it has been sealed? Are you not suppose to just wash the car until it wears off (5-6 months)

Have a read of some of these threads, start of with basic car washing.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=50574

Also.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54

Polish is basically an abrasive ( very mild) that sorts out marks in paint.
Most people should really just be washing and waxing , also sealants.

Remember your wheels need waxed as well.

You think options was a money sink, wait till you get some OCD with car care and start ordering dodo, swissvax, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #18
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
How bad is the car for a start? A DA polisher with a selection of pads would probably do...with a DA it is harder to make an arse of it, unless it is soft paint which BMW is not.

As some have said

Wash with 2 buckets and a decent wash mitt (not sponges)
Autosmart Tardis to remove any tar etc. (rinse car afterwards)
Clay bar or clay mitt process
DA the car..this can take a whole long day dependant on the paint condition
wipe down with a 50/50 solution of IPA and water to get rid of the polish oils
Apply a durable wax, which can range from £20 to £200..if it is durabilti you want either Collonite 476 or Soft99 Fusso coat...or Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid wax (this is actually very good for £25).

Maintain the car from there with a PH natural shampoo such as Chemical Guys Glossworkz, dry with a microfiber and maintain with a QD spray.

If you want some advice on DA and polishing products and a place to buy them, call David at Chemical Guys UK...he is very helpful and will point you in the right direction.

Other stuff I have mentioned can be bought on ebay.

Amazon also do some good deals on panel pots.

Quite good for trying wax against colour etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Oh and Asda are doing decent drying towels for about £3...don't use a leather, they do mar the paint.
      03-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #20
up_north
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

I recommend The Polishing Booth in
Leyland. He made a great job of the wife's Evoque. He also sells a lot of good cleaning products.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #21
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Amazon also do some good deals on panel pots.

Quite good for trying wax against colour etc.
I don't particularly rate Dodojuice products, however the Supernatural Hybrid wax is excellent I must say...one of the best products I have used.
      03-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #22
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post

Wash
Iron remover
Clay
Wax
Seal if you want.

The protection applied by the dealer will only last a short period. It felt sticky to the touch and may have even just been the residue from the transport wax. If it's a new product applied by the dealer it seems to be a quick spray wax or the like. I don't think it will have anything like the longevity of a decent wax or hybrid wax sealant or man made sealant.

The polish I've bought is less abrasive and so more suited to a new car that doesn't yet need the top of the paint finish cut back to remove the imperfections. Lime Prime is a mid-abrasive polish, the Supernatural Micro Prime I've bought is a very mildly abrasive polish and acts more like a deep paint cleanse. You can also get non-abrasive pre-wax cleansers, that just deep cleanse the paintwork without any physical action at all.

So, I'll strip off the existing stuff with a strong shampoo solution, then de-iron, clay bar and polish the car before applying protection.

I'll put Supernatural Wax on my paint, sealed and occasionally topped up with Supernatural Spritz. For my wheels I intend to use Supernatural Hybrid Paste. Glass to be sealed with Supernatural Glass Sealant. All washed with the matching and gentle Supernatural shampoo.

I'm maybe a little OCD about this all... But, she's worth it...