F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmer-Tech F30 Match PP 82DSP Amp/DSP Upgrade
proTUNING Freaks

06-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Bimmer-Tech F30 Match PP 82DSP Amp/DSP Upgrade

Quick review of the Bimmer-Tech Amp Upgrade for the F30.

Overall Impressions - Incredibly Happy with the Quality. Incredibly happy with the mounting bracket & installation system. Exactly what I was looking for to give my vehicle the next level in sound quality, without ripping apart every door panel and doing an 8 hour installation. Everything just sounds better. Treble, Bass, Mids.

I have a SA-676A - Hi-Fi 2015 320i, I found myself blasting the speakers to hear a phone call, radio, anything really. With the new hardware, I'm listening at 15-25% volume level. All tones are great. Absolutely worth it if you are SA-676A 320/328/335. You can check this with a BMW VIN online tool.

Install time (30 minutes) total.

DIY Instructions
Tools: Ratchet, 8mm socket, 10mm sock, T-40, large flat head screw driver, and trim/clip remove tool (I purchased on Amazon)

Step 1: Remove the 4 panels in the trunk.
Step 2: Remove quarter panel cover. 4 clips and T40 bolt (bolt is covered by a small plastic trim piece of the anchor)
Step 3: Remove the amp retainer. 1-10mm nut
Step 4: Remove the amp bracket. 1-10mm nut and slide the bracket towards the front of the car
Step 5: Remove amp. 1-8mm bolt and wedge it out with a flathead (as shown)

Install everything back in reverse. Secure loose cables with 1 zip tie. Plug the 14-ft USB in first, it's not easy to access once the amp retainer is installed.

The DSP is ready to go out of the box. You can connect a USB cable and optimize settings further through the Match software (for example if you have aftermarket speakers), but I didn't find that necessary.

This is a great upgrade if you want all aspects of audio to be improved on the car. I would purchase this over the BavSound Stage 1, as well as over a JBL MS-8 or JL 6-Channel (Since the F30 has 7 channels).

Installation Video & Pictures:

Video - Installed:

DSP:

Bimmer-Tech Mounting Bracket (Base of DSP):

Mounting Bracket Installed - OEM Amp:

Mounting Bracket Removal - OEM Amp:

Mounting Bracket Removed - OEM Amp:

Mounting Bracket Installed - DSP:

DSP Installed:

Last edited by CntryClub007; 03-01-2016 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: New video link
Appreciate 3
      06-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

How does the underseat subs sound? Does it get enough power from this amp?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 04:59 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
How does the underseat subs sound? Does it get enough power from this amp?
The PP82DSP outputs a little more than 3-times the OEM power output to the OEM woofers.

Or enough to wake them up without long term durability issues if not abused.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #4
Osmansky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i

So to make sure I understand correctly, How is it connected to the NBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Quick review of the Bimmer-Tech Amp Upgrade for the F30.

Overall Impressions - Incredibly Happy with the Quality. Incredibly happy with the mounting bracket & installation system. Exactly what I was looking for to give my vehicle the next level in sound quality, without ripping apart every door panel and doing an 8 hour installation. Everything just sounds better. Treble, Bass, Mids.

I have a SA-676A - Hi-Fi 2015 320i, I found myself blasting the speakers to hear a phone call, radio, anything really. With the new hardware, I'm listening at 15-25% volume level. All tones are great. Absolutely worth it if you are SA-676A 320/328/335. You can check this with a BMW VIN online tool.

Install time (30 minutes) total.

DIY Instructions
Tools: Ratchet, 8mm socket, 10mm sock, T-40, large flat head screw driver, and trim/clip remove tool (I purchased on Amazon)

Step 1: Remove the 4 panels in the trunk.
Step 2: Remove quarter panel cover. 4 clips and T40 bolt (bolt is covered by a small plastic trim piece of the anchor)
Step 3: Remove the amp retainer. 1-10mm nut
Step 4: Remove the amp bracket. 1-10mm nut and slide the bracket towards the front of the car
Step 5: Remove amp. 1-8mm bolt and wedge it out with a flathead (as shown)

Install everything back in reverse. Secure loose cables with 1 zip tie. Plug the 14-ft USB in first, it's not easy to access once the amp retainer is installed.

The DSP is ready to go out of the box. You can connect a USB cable and optimize settings further through the Match software (for example if you have aftermarket speakers), but I didn't find that necessary.

This is a great upgrade if you want all aspects of audio to be improved on the car. I would purchase this over the BavSound Stage 1, as well as over a JBL MS-8 or JL 6-Channel (Since the F30 has 7 channels).

Installation Video & Pictures:

Video - Installed:

DSP:

Bimmer-Tech Mounting Bracket (Base of DSP):

Mounting Bracket Installed - OEM Amp:

Mounting Bracket Removal - OEM Amp:

Mounting Bracket Removed - OEM Amp:

Mounting Bracket Installed - DSP:

DSP Installed:
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmansky View Post
So to make sure I understand correctly, How is it connected to the NBT?
This is a HiFi system... PP82DSP replaces the OEM amp in the trunk.

The last photo shows it plugged into the OEM amp harness in the car.

Last edited by Technic; 07-13-2015 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

CntryClub007 - Thank you for the great review!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 06:41 AM   #7
Fantom2k83
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix HIFI

Hi you still have this item? I have this item too but I clear all settings and cant tune it for, can you send me settings on my mail? please. Sorry for my bad English
Fantom2k83@mail.ru
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
jojo7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F320i

Hello CntryClub007,

I did the installation by foolowing your instructions. However, I am having trouble putting back the (amp retainer) Step 3: Remove the amp retainer. 1-10mm nut. Is it something I do not have to install after replacing the amp? If it's needed after the installation is it possible to take a picture of yours with the amp retainer attached so I know how to position it correctly. Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7
Hello CntryClub007,

I did the installation by foolowing your instructions. However, I am having trouble putting back the (amp retainer) Step 3: Remove the amp retainer. 1-10mm nut. Is it something I do not have to install after replacing the amp? If it's needed after the installation is it possible to take a picture of yours with the amp retainer attached so I know how to position it correctly. Thanks much!
Are you referring to the retainer as the black cover? If so, that doesn't need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #10
jojo7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F320i

Yes. I am referring to the black plastic cover. So it's something I can chose not to install? I installed it but then I am having a hard time inserting the other black plastic with the groves in that spot. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G31 530xD

Hi, guys, thanks for manual!

Do you have an idea how channels are distributed within this amp in Hi-Fi configuration?
2 channels - front doors
2 channels - underseat subs
2 channels - back doors (I believe I can split it for mid-high freq as well if I get HK door panel)
1 channel - central speaker.

So, main question - are OEM features will remain the same including simple BASS/TREBLE settings?

I hate there is no app for Mac OS ;( but i saw there are pre-made settings by a lot of users around here. Can I at least upload it with mac? or no way? I have no idea where can I get PC laptop...
      05-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by antah View Post
I hate there is no app for Mac OS ;( but i saw there are pre-made settings by a lot of users around here. Can I at least upload it with mac? or no way? I have no idea where can I get PC laptop...
I used Parallels Desktop running Windows 7 to upload the configuration file into mine. Do a search in the forum here, you'll find some really good tunings for the factory speakers that are a noticeable improvement from the factory amp. You still have the tone controls available in car's settings, but frankly I find leaving them "flat" is about right for the kind of music I listen to.
      06-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
AG17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi Black Sportline

Hey Guys,

Read through many many pages and have decided the bimmertech amp will be the best way to go to upgrade the weak sound/bass in the HiFi system. I have concerns about the ASD. Will it be way too loud with the new amp install? Do I need to buy the deactivation wire from bimmertech in order to code the asd off or is there another way?

Thanks for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #14
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG17 View Post
Hey Guys,

Read through many many pages and have decided the bimmertech amp will be the best way to go to upgrade the weak sound/bass in the HiFi system. I have concerns about the ASD. Will it be way too loud with the new amp install? Do I need to buy the deactivation wire from bimmertech in order to code the asd off or is there another way?

Thanks for your help!!

Either use ESYS or THIS (if you have a iPhone) to code ASD off...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:21 PM   #15
n55silverado
mercenary
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Selling my Bimmer-Tech F30 Match PP 82DSP Amp if anybody is looking.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 01:27 AM   #16
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G31 530xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdowens View Post
Selling my Bimmer-Tech F30 Match PP 82DSP Amp if anybody is looking.
I just placed an order with Bimmer-tech yesterday, damn!
      12-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #17
eruiz
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 coupe - Alpine White /

Hi

I purchased and installed a PP86DSP a couple of weeks back, I found myself frustrated.

The quality did improved, better sound definitely, clearer vocals and punchier bass, but a little over the midline volume, the tweeters started to crack, I had to bring the volume down again. I was thinking, maybe this is too much for the stock speakers, then I bought the focal IFBMW-S for the front, expecting to get along with the amp, They didn’t. Tweeters still cracking, I have tried the preset the company send and many others, I can’t turn the volume near 3/4 because there is this horrible distortion. When you spend the money the amp and speaker costs, is not to keep the volume down.

Appreciate 1
      12-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #18
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Hi,

I don't know if you purchased the amp from us or not but regardless here is a procedure for fixing almost all odd problems with A PP82 or PP86.

Hard reset

To do a hardware reset push the control button on the amplifier for at least for 5 seconds until the status LED keeps flashing red when no computer is connected to the amplifier.

Loading a tuning file to PP82

To load or modify a tuning file with the .afpx extension launch the 3.40a version of the DSP PC-Tool on a computer connected to the amp via the supplied USB cable

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/down...TOOL_3-40a.exe

Before the amp launches you may need to go to control panel in windows, then to device manager and update the USB device manually - as shown in the below video. Once the drivers are updated (some times it is necessary to update them twice in a row until the question mark vanishes) you should be able to start the DSPtool. The connection process prompts for an update. Confirm the update and load the tuning file (.afpx file attached). Once you have loaded the file to the amplifier make sure to save it with the save and store button.

Detailed information about the file loading process can be found on our website in the support tab under the DSP Special Vol.2 button:
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/audio-amplifier-for-bmw/

Loading a tuning file to the PP86

To load or modify a tuning file with the .afpx extension launch the latest version of the DSP PC-Tool on a computer connected to the amp via the supplied USB cable

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/down...TOOL_4-20b.exe

Before the amp launches you may need to go to control panel in windows, then to device manager and update the USB device manually - as shown in the below video. Once the drivers are updated (some times it is necessary to update them twice in a row until the question mark vanishes) you should be able to start the DSPtool. The connection process prompts for an update. Confirm the update and load the tuning file (.afpx file attached). Once you have loaded the file to the amplifier make sure to save it with the save and store button.

Hardware issues with these amps are practically nonexistent, so a hard reset usually solves any odd issues. As long as the tune that is loaded after the reset is appropriate distortion really shouldn't happen.

One more thing about the PP86

There is an "Input Sensitivity" Knob on the PP86 amplifier. This Input Sensitivity knob needs to be turned all the way to the right hand side in BMW's - or else the input will most likely be clipped causing all sorts of distortion.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #19
Previse
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i XDrive

Add another disappointed customer to the list.

Crazy distortion at ~70% volume. Crackling and all.

PP86DSP bought directly from bimmertech. sounds horrible past 70% with bavsound tune and bimmertech tune.

Tried the hard reset and everything; nothing works.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 04:18 AM   #20
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Previse View Post
Add another disappointed customer to the list.

Crazy distortion at ~70% volume. Crackling and all.

PP86DSP bought directly from bimmertech. sounds horrible past 70% with bavsound tune and bimmertech tune.

Tried the hard reset and everything; nothing works.
Hi,

Can you please contact me through a private message and let me know if you are in contact with our tech support team and if so let me know the ticket number and your order number.

Whatever the case is we'll find out and address the issue. It almost can't be anything serious - we have never had a hardware failure to date.

I'm sure we'll resolve the issue as long as you work with us on troubleshooting. We don't troubleshoot via message boards.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #21
Keltern
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mineral Grey f31 320dX

This might be a tiny bit off topic, but I see that Bimmertech is selling the PP 86DSP now.

This seems to be the same amplifier that can be found sold separate as the "Match PP86DSP by Audiotech Fischer". The interfaces seem to be the same as well.

Are there any important issues here that would prevent me using this instead of the one the Bimmertech one?

And if I were to buy this amplifier, what adaptor do I have to use? I'm having trouble finding it.

Edit - or perhaps their product named M117000 is a better match?

Last edited by Keltern; 09-03-2018 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #22
twodoor
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 30i G01 2020

The only difference is that the Bimmertech version also sells you the wire harness (adapter cable) which connects directly to the car's harness, replacing the BMW OEM DSP. That's why it's plug and play.

And if you install (correctly) the PP86DSP but it doesn't right, it's 100% because of the preset. There is a separate thread where people post the presets they use, if you don't know your way around the PP86DSP software you can try presets from there. Most of them are very good:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1182351

Note: PP86 is the new version of PP82 but their preset configurations are identical.

P.S. M117000 - or Match UP7BMW is essentially a Match PP86DSP which includes the harness (adapter cable) for BMW HiFi systems, just like the Bimmertech PP86DSP, but is a bit smaller in size and power than the PP86DSP, and has the exact number of channels required in a HiFi BMW.
Appreciate 0