F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F32 Water pooling on cowl
proTUNING Freaks

10-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Wow. This is unbelievable. Something must be done at once! I'm headed to the dealer and taking this up with the service manager. If they don't buy my car back, BMW North America will be hearing from me!
Best Answer

For those who choose to drill... Didnt you think BMW actually cover that area with a cowl in order to prevent water from going down where it can rust stuff below and damage electrical wiring?

Good luck with your OCDs.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 04:49 AM   #24
LUV335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Wow. This is unbelievable. Something must be done at once! I'm headed to the dealer and taking this up with the service manager. If they don't buy my car back, BMW North America will be hearing from me!
Best Answer

For those who choose to drill... Didnt you think BMW actually cover that area with a cowl in order to prevent water from going down where it can rust stuff below and damage electrical wiring?

My thoughts exactly. So we hate water pooling on the plastic cowl but like to get it on the ecu and other electronic components? Jeez... There is a reason for the cowl, please dont drill holes in it... Its meant to protect components underneath it..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 06:42 AM   #25
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

...But if the LCI has it, I'd like to know where the water drains to on that. Can anyone post a pic of the LCI cowl and undersurface?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #26
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Best Answer

Look at the 2016...they have the holes from the factory
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2018, 03:34 AM   #27
Harleybuc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 440I MPPSK 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV335 View Post
My thoughts exactly. So we hate water pooling on the plastic cowl but like to get it on the ecu and other electronic components? Jeez... There is a reason for the cowl, please dont drill holes in it... Its meant to protect components underneath it..
If you look at the way the water drains on the driver side you will see it goes right through the hole where the wiper attaches.
On a right hand drive car the plugged holes in question will be open with wipers attached. Therefor there should not be any electrical components under that spot.

This leaves the open question, Is there an official fix to the pooling water problem? If not I will drill some small holes, as I park on a slight incline which makes the pooling problem worse, I end up with muddy water marks in those spots.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #28
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Same on my 2015 435, noticed when it was 1st delivered

I'm not drilling any holes, you think BMW would have made (2) design cowls - (1) for LHD (1) for RHD that would not have the extra swimming pools present

But that would mean xtra $$ and xtra inventory

The Service Information Bulletin everyone talks about (SI B51 05 14) was NOT related to this issue - it was to fix a grommet that is located behind front PS wheel liner @ bottom of inner fender (E-box).

This grommet is to drain water from above allowing it to go to ground. Apparently the grommet was designed with slit/flaps, it eventually gets plugged with crap & doesn't drain - hence routing the water into the cabin area.

The fix is to totally remove the grommet
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #29
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Our 2013 F30 is similar. Don't know if they added a drain hole on the LCI.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 04:13 AM   #30
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

My 2016 F32 has this issue as well. The first thing I do after I wash the car is pop the hood and just use a dry towel to absorb the water that pools in those areas. When I first noticed this way back when, I almost decided to drill holes to allow it to drain, but didn’t because I didn’t want to get water in an area that this cover was designed to protect. It’s just now become a step I do when washing the car.
Appreciate 0