F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Fall Trifecta at COTA
proTUNING Freaks

11-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #23
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentgbr View Post
I was referring to the same holding down of the DSC-OFF button that you describe above. What part of the description do you think is inaccurate?
I don't think sport+ turns off DSC. It just turns it to DTC.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #24
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Hah, yah, we did some pretty crazy stuff, there's one scenario where we have to see what it will take to get the ITS student to say "enough, go into the hot pits...you're driving like an azz", funny to see how different each candidate was in that regard!

As to the car, I had an interesting situation where the ITS student I was assigned had my old car, a 2011 E90 M3 (though 6sp vs DTC in my old car). I got to drive them back to back for 8 sessions Friday and Saturday and that made the differences crystal clear.

In a nutshell, the 340i pushes like crazy, even with the square set up. That lack of camber in the front is a lot of it. Also had problems in sport + putting power down between 13, 14 and 15. Lots of wheels spin. LSD would be a huge help there. I was able to give rides to a couple of friends who came out and they thought it was fast, but it's all relative to their experience.

Net is the car will be fine for intermediate/yellow run group speeds, but in the instructor group, it was slowest out there where I had been running mid-pack in the M3.

One really interesting data point on straight line speed vs. the F80, I gave one a pass right before T11 so got to essentially drag race him down the back straight, by the 150 brake marker he has only pulled about 7 car lengths on me down the entire back straight, so the 340i def has some balls!

Sorry I missed you, Tim (the X5M owner) told me someone came by. They just had our schedules pretty well packed with the ITS stuff.
Read the other thread. Great looking car!

Now that you've tracked it, was it worth the trade off for the softer suspension and a less expensive vehicle or do you miss not going with a newer M3 or rolling the dice and keeping the old one with a 3rd party warranty?

Around town, how comparable is it in "fun to drive"?

I notice you didn't mention anything about the electric steering feedback? Did that difference affect anything?
      04-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #25
Allensjourney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82, AW, CCBs, JB4, Dps,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
That's the perfect attitude to have, can't tell you how many students come out thinking they're better than they really are, only to realize it's not as easy as it looks.
I've been tracking for over 10 years, instructing for 6+ and STILL have room to learn and improve.
Long shot here but do you know an instructor named Bill Stacy from Florida?
      04-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #26
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensjourney View Post
Long shot here but do you know an instructor named Bill Stacy from Florida?
Nope, sorry!
Appreciate 0