F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > bmw 328i pop tune
GetBMWParts

10-05-2023, 02:44 PM   #1
Neidthebeamer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i x drive

Garage List
bmw 328i pop tune

I just got my bootmod3 tuner for my 328i and just had a few questions. I know you need a few performance mods before going up stages in tuning so I bought a intake, and some spark plugs. I also bought a blow off valve as well just because I’m intrigued by the blow off valve sounds (might sell later down the road) but my question is, is there a pop tune for the 328i on bootmod3 maps? Pop tuning meaning the loud pops not the burbles. Also if so what other performance mods should I get to better my performance with going for the pop tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
McGyv3r
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1989 325i & 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1989 BMW 325i  [0.00]
You should really read the BM3 user manual, all the answers are in there and it will help you to understand what the software does and the required modifications for each tuning level.

An intake is not required and may actually reduce power, but it might make some fun noises.

Throwing a set of plugs and coils at the car every 30-60k miles is generally a good idea.

You will be able to load a BM3 Stage 1 OTS (Off The Shelf) Map without any supporting mods (intercooler and downpipe). Stage 2 really requires both of those.

The burbles and pops are from excess gas burning in your exhaust. The factory settings will have very little impact on your catalytic converter. More aggressive burbles will shorted the life of your cat. Bangs will destroy your cat quickly. That means you won't be able to pass emissions.

Swapping for a catless downpipe allows you to have the stupid shotgun blasts, but you won't pass emissions.

My personal option is that modern pops and burbles are the equivalent to 90s fart cannon exhausts. It doesn't serve a functional purpose and is reducing the efficiency of your car. I also think catless downpipes for a daily driver is selfish when high performance cats are available. It's pay to play.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00