F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > How to tell if my F30 is prewired for paddles?
GetBMWParts

10-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 320i xDrive

How to tell if my F30 is prewired for paddles?

I'm considering upgrading the base steering wheel in my car to the OEM M-Sport or Sport steering wheel with paddles. How do I know if I have the hardware (wire) support for it? I'm not sure I want to take apart my interior to find out.

2017 (LCI) 320i
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
orangesquared
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGengarEX View Post
I'm considering upgrading the base steering wheel in my car to the OEM M-Sport or Sport steering wheel with paddles. How do I know if I have the hardware (wire) support for it? I'm not sure I want to take apart my interior to find out.

2017 (LCI) 320i
You're going to have to take the passenger footwell panel off to access the ecm module there. Check out thicf30 or kies motorsports on YouTube for more info. I did the upgrade and mine wasn't prewired for paddles. I was incredibly nervous, however, it honesty was pretty easy using the YouTube videos from those guys. Also, I found an easier way to remove the steering wheel without poking holes in it in the video from thicf30. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
      10-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangesquared View Post
You're going to have to take the passenger footwell panel off to access the ecm module there. Check out thicf30 or kies motorsports on YouTube for more info. I did the upgrade and mine wasn't prewired for paddles. I was incredibly nervous, however, it honesty was pretty easy using the YouTube videos from those guys. Also, I found an easier way to remove the steering wheel without poking holes in it in the video from thicf30. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Ok yeah I know both of those channels, ill check it out!

I've seen some videos on removing the airbag, looks like a major pain. Are there many vendors that sell the M-Sport steering wheel with the airbag already in it? Very hard to tell exactly what people are selling. Obviously can't transfer my airbag from the base wheel to an M-Sport, but probably could for the Sport wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
orangesquared
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangesquared View Post
Ok yeah I know both of those channels, ill check it out!

I've seen some videos on removing the airbag, looks like a major pain. Are there many vendors that sell the M-Sport steering wheel with the airbag already in it? Very hard to tell exactly what people are selling. Obviously can't transfer my airbag from the base wheel to an M-Sport, but probably could for the Sport wheel.
So I had a sport wheel (sportline) already and went to a sport wheel with paddles. Because of that, I'm not 100% sure the difference of a base airbag, etc. You may try to find part numbers to see what's what. I'm regard to going to a M Sport wheel and airbag - you will need a new airbag. In the US, the airbags are dual stage. Most of what I see on EBay are single stage (from Europe). I'd expect to pay $1k+ for a wheel/airbag combo if you're going M- Sport. Whether it matters is up to you and might need more research.
      10-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:

2017 (LCI) 320i
If interested i have a full sport line steering wheel for sale can pm me. It doesn't have paddles but you can add and code those in.
Appreciate 0