F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Finding the perfect intake B58
Studio RSR

01-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #67
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turas View Post
Hi. I'm consider two options for the intake, both withe the air scoop and dry filter.

1. https://afepower.com/afe-power-51-12...-intake-system

2. Stock air box with: https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10...y-s-air-filter

My current setup is:
440i
MPPAS exhoust
Wagner DP 200 cat
VRS charge pipe
Supra HPFP
Custom tune 500 HP

I wonder which option choose. Please list the pros and cons of each option.
If you don't mind spending the extra money then just go for the Magnum Force Stage 2 intake. It flows a bit more compared to just replacing the filter and maybe gives you a tiny bit more noise since it eliminates the resonator in the upper intake tube, and I personally think it looks cleaner overall.

With the Flow Pro Dry S filter the only con I have read is that it increases the amount of particles entering your engine, however I personally believe that shouldn't be of concern. AFE is a very reputable company and they know what they are doing. Many people run this setup and have no issues. Pros are it's much cheaper and combined with your stock intake which is already very good from factory should work just fine.

I personally have the Flow Pro Dry S Filter with the AFE intake scoop, will soon be getting the FTP intake pipe to complete my intake setup.
PJ ACN91 + Meth tune| XHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:48 AM   #68
SimSimmaF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i Msport

When I tell you I wish the eventuri wasn’t so expensive so it made sense for everyone to purchase. Aesthetically, it’s the most beautiful one out there. Financially it’s stupid to spend so much on an intake.
Whatever kind of engineering magic they did, the sound is intoxicating. There’s a grumble/rumble/fluttering sound it makes under light acceleration that’s 🥵🥵🥵🥵.
Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:20 AM   #69
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

MAD released their new intake, it's not a fancy one like Eventuri but it sounds great with spot-on fitment, great price and comes with an upgraded intake pipe for a better airflow

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 12:28 PM   #70
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

It is also important to note that some folks have received a CEL due to the sensor placement on some aftermarket intakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:49 PM   #71
ATL_Nak-Muay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Msport

I have the bms with the silicone snorkel. Got rid of that over baffled pipe and sounds good. I think it was the cheapest of the pack.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 05:13 PM   #72
SRB440IGC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Hey guys,
So after reading this thread (and many others) i decided it would be best to post here.
If i understand correctly, there's nothing wrong with the factory airbox and the only real "restriction" is the OEM filter. That being said, i tried searching for any data that compares our factory filter vs drop-in vs CAI and came up with no results. I've seen a few dyno sheets with 10-12hp gains from full AI kits but nothing for drop-in filters.

I'd like to keep my OE Airbox w/ after market drop-in and intake piping. I see BMS makes a silicon option and was wondering if there are any other choices out there.

I don't care much for flashy looks or induction noise (although I wouldn't hate it as a side effect) just looking for better flow. This set-up would run me about $150 - $160 for what I feel would be comparable to any other AI on the market.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:33 PM   #73
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB440IGC View Post
Hey guys,
So after reading this thread (and many others) i decided it would be best to post here.
If i understand correctly, there's nothing wrong with the factory airbox and the only real "restriction" is the OEM filter. That being said, i tried searching for any data that compares our factory filter vs drop-in vs CAI and came up with no results. I've seen a few dyno sheets with 10-12hp gains from full AI kits but nothing for drop-in filters.

I'd like to keep my OE Airbox w/ after market drop-in and intake piping. I see BMS makes a silicon option and was wondering if there are any other choices out there.

I don't care much for flashy looks or induction noise (although I wouldn't hate it as a side effect) just looking for better flow. This set-up would run me about $150 - $160 for what I feel would be comparable to any other AI on the market.

Thanks!
The drop in filter makes a very small difference, if any. I use to have a BMS intake (the blue cone filter) and power wise I really didn't notice much either, but when I read on the forums about the stock OEM airbox being better at keeping IAT lower I went back to the stock airbox to give it a try. After some testing and logging I did notice a decrease in my IAT therefore I just kept it and sold the BMS intake. Now my intake setup is the AFE Pro Dry S filter coupled with a BMS intake silicon hose. It doesn't sound as loud but I can still hear it a bit and I personally dig the stealthier engine bay look.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 01:44 AM   #74
talontdone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 340 View Post
If you don't mind spending the extra money then just go for the Magnum Force Stage 2 intake. It flows a bit more compared to just replacing the filter and maybe gives you a tiny bit more noise since it eliminates the resonator in the upper intake tube, and I personally think it looks cleaner overall.

With the Flow Pro Dry S filter the only con I have read is that it increases the amount of particles entering your engine, however I personally believe that shouldn't be of concern. AFE is a very reputable company and they know what they are doing. Many people run this setup and have no issues. Pros are it's much cheaper and combined with your stock intake which is already very good from factory should work just fine.

I personally have the Flow Pro Dry S Filter with the AFE intake scoop, will soon be getting the FTP intake pipe to complete my intake setup.
I went with the CTS intake.... similar to the old AFE ... its quite loud in a good way. Happy with the Purchase but can't really quantify the value add .
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 09:30 AM   #75
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontdone View Post
I went with the CTS intake.... similar to the old AFE ... its quite loud in a good way. Happy with the Purchase but can't really quantify the value add .
Nice! That is a good choice since they come with a heat shield and look clean in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #76
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Quote:
Hey guys,

If i understand correctly, there's nothing wrong with the factory airbox and the only real "restriction" is the OEM filter.
The biggest restriction is the OEM cold air tube, not the filter:

For reference, the sensor I did these tests with can detect the change in atmospheric pressure between your waist and your forehead. The stock filter accounts for 0.0578 psid of the total pressure drop. The cold air tube accounts for about twice that.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2022, 03:33 PM   #77
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogram View Post

is there an aftermarket solution that is less restrictive ?

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #78
SRB440IGC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Quote:

For reference, the sensor I did these tests with can detect the change in atmospheric pressure between your waist and your forehead. The stock filter accounts for 0.0578 psid of the total pressure drop. The cold air tube accounts for about twice that.
Thank you very much for posting this.

I'll keep searching for more options that retain the factory airbox. If I can't find one, I'll just fabricate it myself.

Last edited by SRB440IGC; 02-24-2022 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
Wires1644.00
      02-25-2022, 07:54 AM   #79
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:

Just so some folks dont get confused, this is the tube going from the front of the car to the airbox, not the tube going from the airbox down to the turbo inlet.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #80
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:

It would be interesting to see if it's the whole hot weather intake track, or the tube.

When you look at the tube, it goes from a large outlet and shrinks to a small inlet. That does a 90 degree to pull from in front of the grill which has a grill to stop leaves, etc from getting pulled in.

Is it the mostly the tube? Or that grill which is blocking a portion of incoming airflow?

Great info though! Nice to see real data vs butt dyno conjecture!
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 11:49 PM   #81
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

Quote:
Thank you very much for posting this.

I'll keep searching for more options that retain the factory airbox. If I can't find one, I'll just fabricate it myself.
It's been two years, i was half hoping/expecting to see a for sale link to a custom front intake tube by now what's the hold up

i know the path is not the same but when i first came to japan 20 years ago i saw people using dryer hose vents in their bumpers on their old jdm rust buckets that would dump out right infront of their old krusty ass flaky cone filter really not sure of any real-world gains there though