F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Driver's Seat Bolsters Deflating
proTUNING Freaks

09-17-2020, 03:42 AM   #1
MetzgerMeister
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Driver's Seat Bolsters Deflating

Hi all,

In my F30 the side bolsters are deflating immediately after inflating. I press and hold the button, feel them inflate and when I let go they instantly deflate.

I can't for the life of me remove the 2 clips at the base of the backrest in order to remove the cover. First of all the backrest doesn't fold down flat but the furthest it will go is to leave maybe 2 inches between the seat base and backrest.

Anyone have any tips on removing the clips? I have new fir tree ones to go back in but the ones in there aren't this type. They have little holes in the middle that look like they could take a torx bit but nothing I have in torx bits will fit.

All help greatly appreciated as I'd rather DIY than pay BMW Ä150.00 to do diagnostics on it.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
thebadboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i f30

242/5000
using a point, a nail for example, you must push on the middle of the clip, it will go inside and you can then remove it.

I had the same problem with the cushions, they were holed, we must put new ones
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
MetzgerMeister
Private
Rep

It's not one of those expanding clips where the centre pushes inwards.

It's a plastic clip with what looks like a hex (not torx) indentation in the middle.

I could be wrong though....I'll have another look this evening.

Last edited by MetzgerMeister; 09-17-2020 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
Zheez
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2014)

I just used a trim removal tool to rip mine out. Took some doing but since I had replacement clips to go in there anyway I figured it didn't matter what state they were in after. Once you get the head off and slide the back of the seat off you should be able to get anything remaining out of the seat quite easily.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
MetzgerMeister
Private
Rep

Badboy - you were right. Bit in the centre pushes out but I still canít get the fvcking things out.

Zheez-I think Iíll have to just destroy them as you did. Trying to just get the heads off but my god itís a job and a half!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
thebadboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i f30

do not force, push yourself fully in the center, the pin will fall into the seat, once it falls, just remove the clip, it comes out on its own
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
MetzgerMeister
Private
Rep

Got them out by cutting the heads off with a box cutter.

Sadly Iím no closer to solving the issue, further away in fact. Beforehand the bolsters would inflate and then maybe 30% of the air would leak out. After going at it, all the air goes out now.

Thereís a leak on the bottom left, beside where the junction box is that has all the pipes going into it. The pipe on this side seems good so Iím thinking itís worst case scenario whereby the actual bladder is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:19 AM   #8
MetzgerMeister
Private
Rep

I can hear air escaping in the circled area below:

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #9
MetzgerMeister
Private
Rep

Iím glad to report that I have solved my issue. In the pic above, if you pull the tube and expose that corner of the bladder you may have a leak to the left of the bladder.

What happens is that the metal piece that connects the tube to the inner bag rubs off the metal frame of the seat and pinched the bladder in between.

You could get a new bladder/valve but Iíd say itís a botch to shove it back in where it belongs bar your remove the foam. All I did was patch up the hole with duct tape and also put a piece of magic sponge against it to avoid the rubbing in future.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #10
MetzgerMeister
Private
Rep

Update:

I had to redo the job so I completely removed the bladder. It's actually very straightforward. Remove the small spring hook, pop out the 2 black clips holding the bladder to the seat and pull it out. Disconnect the pipe from the valve and that's it.

It's also a lot easier to put it back in position than I thought. Just ensure it's flat and there are no creases. It helps to wear a pair of cotton gloves so that when you remove your hand it doesn't pull it back out as you're right up against the seat foam with little wiggle room.
Appreciate 0