F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My big F30 328i review thread!
ARMA SPEED

07-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755MSL
How did you get the special Ipod screen to display? Is that through BMW Apps?
That is called PlugIn in ConnectedDrive which gives the car an iPod interface when the iPhone is connected to the Media Cradle. I really like this interface!
I don't think it's part of the BMW Apps.
I will create a video on it for you (tomorrow evening probably UK time) and let you know when I post it in my first posts on this thread.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #24
755MSL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
That is called PlugIn in ConnectedDrive which gives the car an iPod interface when the iPhone is connected to the Media Cradle. I really like this interface!
I will create a video on it for you (tomorrow evening probably UK time) and let you know when I post it in my first posts on this thread.
I don't use an iphone, hence no cradle etc. Is there a way to get that interface via an ipod? I've connected an ipod classic to the usb port and I was able to access my music but no fancy screen like yours.

Also, I appreciate the depth of your review. I've got about 500 miles on my F30, I'm doing something similar to your review soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #25
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
Thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough review. It's nice to hear the perspective after one has lived with the car for awhile.

As you pointed out, you're one of the few I've heard who have migrated from the N57 to the petrol engine (not like we get that choice here in the U.S.) What initially motivated you to make the switch?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #26
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Hey SomeRandomer123,

First, your post is fantastic. It really doesn't take much for us BMW fanatics to sit down and write a review on our beloved cars, but yours is TOPS!!! Great effort. Thanks for some rare RHD pics too!!!

I chose not to have a rear camera in my E90 and the same with my order for the F30. I read that your camera was 'free' in your lease package, but is it really necessary in a low sitting sedan with a fairly large rear window?

I haven't regretted ordering one for my E90 and as I currently have iDrive, the on screen animation is more than enough for me. I doubt I will miss it in my F30.

Any thoughts
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Not really no...
I can't fault this car! It's just so god damn perfect! I mean, eventually, something will go wrong - all my BMW's have had one or two little faults (engine on all I think...) in their 3 year life time.
I'm on 27000miles per year in this by the way!
Even the ASS is quite good although it did leave my car running. Mind you, I've not been able to recreate the problem so I'm not fussed!
Oh and it misfired for 2-3 seconds on a cold start once but sorted itself out immediately and has been perfect again since.
I think I would like somewhere to put the key like in my E90 but that's not really worth mentioning.

It's just that good!!
First time I've ever been able to go mad on the options list and not compromise anything!
Great review!

I've not driven an F30 with the standard suspension.
Your review shows it to be very acceptable. That's great.

BTW, your steering and controls are on the wrong side.
What's up with that!? Must be one of the "Euro" options we don't get in the colonies...er....states.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
G80_Soom
Freude am fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3 6MT IOMG/KO

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Very detailed and nicely done but I'm afraid there was no objectivity in your review. You loved everything about the car and found it to be perfect in every area. Congratulations though
'13 F30 Estoril Blue 335i 6MT
#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #29
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post

[...]

Only done 80 miles so far so can't really say much (yet ) but initial impressions are much the same as yours. Only thing that I'm reserving judgement on are the adaptive headlights with high beam assist. On a dark country road they are perfect and spotted oncoming cars brilliantly. However I had to follow an MX-5 for a few miles and the lights were dancing around all over the place! Some of the time it's as if the lights formed a black box around the rear of the car in front and I thought "wow, that's clever!". But some times the full beam came on and eventually the car in front pulled over and indicated for me to pass - guess they thought I was flashing them (well the car might have been but I wasn't).

[...]
I have to admit that's funny to me, as my daily driver is an 07 MX-5. The fixed HID lights dance all over the place due to the stiff suspension and uneven road surfaces. I've been on the wrong end of more than one road-rage incident from a person ahead of me who thought I was flashing my lights at them. When it was new, it took me a while to figure out what kept annoying people.

Anything that helps mitigate bouncing sharp-cutoff light patterns is a good thing in my book. Even if it helps just a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #30
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755MSL
Quote:
I don't use an iphone, hence no cradle etc. Is there a way to get that interface via an ipod? I've connected an ipod classic to the usb port and I was able to access my music but no fancy screen like yours.

Also, I appreciate the depth of your review. I've got about 500 miles on my F30, I'm doing something similar to your review soon.
Hmm I'm not sure you can...

Do you have a Y cable for your iPod? It may work with that.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #31
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Very good review and I was personally looking to see what you think of the ride quality on our UK roads.

Quote:
The Comfort
The Suspension
I didn't go for the Adaptive M Suspension because of one little letter. "M". I didn't want a hard ride, especially coming from the E90, I wanted more comfort, so I went for the standard setup. I then learnt that the "Adaptive M Suspension" is pretty much VDC as on the F10/F11 long after I placed my order, so I though "ahh shite!" VDC made such a change on the test cars I had so I was frustrated! If it was called "Variable Damper Control" and not "Adaptive M Suspension" then I would've ticked the box.
Thankfully, I really like the standard suspension and it's so much more comfortable than my 330d so I'm happy! It's also still stiff enough to feel the road and maintain composure with very little body roll.
If I knew what I know now, I would've gone for the Adaptive M Suspension because it's supposed to be even more comfortable in Comfort than the standard springs and I like how it would stiffen up in Sport mode so this is my ONLY regret on this car, but even then, I'm not that bothered by it because the standard setup is so good!
I found the 328i I tested (on standard suspension and 18" wheels) a massive improvement over standard suspension on the E90/91 models. But not firm enough for press on driving. My review comments were...

Quote:
I leave the M90 after about 19 miles (with 38mpg on the OBC) and head along the A91 to Stirling, (my normal test route) as the surfaces are typical of my driving conditions. Roads with all sorts of contours, poor surfaces and a lot of patching, plus some pretty poor repairs through some of the villages. Very impressed with the car and how it copes, better than my car with its modifications, the best RFT shod BMW I’ve ever driven along this section of road. I get a chance to try the car out a bit, as there are some interesting bends and twisty sections of road. The car is well balance and so precise on its line, the suspension is set perfectly to blend the comfort with an edge of sportiness. I’m positive the smaller 4-pot up front has a lot to do with this car’s balance and agility. Push a bit too hard and you know it is softly setup, I’d want a bit more ‘tightness’ for the faster drives. But drive moderately and it is giving me what I’d want for the conditions, a blend of dynamics that copes with poor surfaces without upsetting the drive. The issue of whether the car is on RFTs just didn’t come into the equation.
So I'll be going for the adaptive suspension.

I also made the following comment...

Quote:
I took the car into a busy car park (Garden Centre) to try congested areas and some speed bumps. The car goes over the speed bumps in the strangest way, hard to describe, but seems far too bouncy for the ride and control you get out on the road. I’m sure this is the ‘odd ball’ from how BMW have tuned the suspension in such a fine way, for a blend of comfort and decent control.
Have you come across this one?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #32
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM_OMG
Thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough review. It's nice to hear the perspective after one has lived with the car for awhile.

As you pointed out, you're one of the few I've heard who have migrated from the N57 to the petrol engine (not like we get that choice here in the U.S.) What initially motivated you to make the switch?
It's a pleasure!

Good question, let me take you back 18 months or so when I started to survey the market thoroughly and look for my new car. I heard of the F30 and was watching its testing thoroughly but was unsure if it would be launched in time!
So, after many spreadsheets and looking around, I ended up back at BMW with only the Audi A6 2.0TDI or 3.0TDI (204ps version) with little toys as a competitor. So with no 3 Series as yet, BMW offered up the 5 Series and X3 which were both more pleasant offerings than the A6, which I did like I must be honest but only for the interior. The exterior needed serious money spending on it and still looked bland as trout and the price for the little performance put me off. Also, I preferred the F10's interior.
So, it was between the 520d and 525d, and X3 xDrive20d. The 30d/35d in both was too expensive on tax.
The the X3 lost out because the 5 Series did everything for me better than the X3. So, 520d or 525d?
Both however needed a lot of money spending inside and out and I felt required M Sport to make them look like they should which was a huge compromising factor as I didn't have much left to spend on the overpriced optional extras and still didn't have the ideal engine, although both units are strong.
So, when I about decided on a 525d SE with a few average options, the F30 was launched and it looked amazing!
I even managed to get a drive in a lightly camouflaged 320d Sport Line before it was launched and I loved the car! Then I saw the engines and my heart sank. No 330d, no 335d. Gutted. The 320d was good, but coming from a 330d, I wanted more!
About to go back to the 525d, I saw the 28i and it beat or matched my E90 330d in every aspect apart from MPG.
A petrol?! Can I really get a petrol?
I must!
I did!
I'm glad!

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #33
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm looking to move from an M57 330d to the 328i touring (wagon), so again had reservations on the engine ability to feel solid.

My view...

Quote:
I know some would feel after the 6-pot diesel the petrol would be a let-down. But remember I had a V8 (E39 540i) and loved the silky smooth feel of the engine and transmission. OK, not a true comparison, but the softer feel and adding a few revs in the petrol, rather than the harder edged feel of the diesel is not miles apart, for normal driving. The 328i does have a decent mid-range, so not a flat engine, lacking torque. Will suit my driving conditions and the power is there for the overtaking when needed.
The other reason for me looking to the 328i, I'm a low mileage user these days, in the BMW, and many of the trips are only about 12 miles. So not good for a big diesel with the DPF regenerations and all the other issues of cold running winter time.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #34
340driver
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive35i Pure Experience

You'll need to spec BMW Apps (option code 6NR, which adds the mobile phone cradle preparation) to have the iPod Plugin option. It only works with iPhones with (i think os 4 or higher) which allows the iPod-out functionality.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #35
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport

Can you upload a video with instant fuel consumption when driving in the city please? I do 90% of driving in the city and I am very curious on what the 328 is compared to my MINI Cooper S. From what I've red about the 328, it is quite a bit more efficient than my car and I would like to buy a BMW in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #36
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia View Post
Hey SomeRandomer123,

First, your post is fantastic. It really doesn't take much for us BMW fanatics to sit down and write a review on our beloved cars, but yours is TOPS!!! Great effort. Thanks for some rare RHD pics too!!!

I chose not to have a rear camera in my E90 and the same with my order for the F30. I read that your camera was 'free' in your lease package, but is it really necessary in a low sitting sedan with a fairly large rear window?

I haven't regretted ordering one for my E90 and as I currently have iDrive, the on screen animation is more than enough for me. I doubt I will miss it in my F30.

Any thoughts
That's right yes. Lex threw it in on their quote so when I asked BMW to match or beat it, they threw it in too and so I lease this directly through BMW themselves, so it means they can just get on with it and perform work as they wish too, instead of getting Lex's permission.

I thought that too, especially as the car comes standard (328i Luxury) with front and rear PDC but it's actually really useful and I use it so much when reversing! The guidelines and really handy and really exact too and it's just another great piece of kit that I thought was going to be a bit of a gimmick, but no! It's really handy and I like it a lot. It also surprised me at night too because it makes night time look like daytime on the screen! Very impressive!

Makes me think Surround View must be pretty good too but I would rather blow the cash for that on the stereo or something instead, because I can look left and right, and have front and rear PDC!

It looks quite cool too and is another point of "ooh wow look at that!" for my passengers.

Yeah, you won't miss it at all! But if you had it, I reckon you'd get quite used to it too.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #37
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Great review!

I've not driven an F30 with the standard suspension.
Your review shows it to be very acceptable. That's great.

BTW, your steering and controls are on the wrong side.
What's up with that!? Must be one of the "Euro" options we don't get in the colonies...er....states.
Yeah it's a good setup, but if you can afford the Adaptive M, go with that, although I haven't driven an F30 with it in I must admit...

Haha, yeah they are the other way round to my E90 330d too! I've surprised myself in getting to know where everything is immediately though and not turning up the cruise control instead of volume

The cruise control is also an improvement over the E90 in ease of use and aesthetics!

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #38
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumithb13 View Post
Very detailed and nicely done but I'm afraid there was no objectivity in your review. You loved everything about the car and found it to be perfect in every area. Congratulations though
Thanks. True, but I really don't have anything bad to say about it, even coming from an E90! It just suits me more, and does everything apart from the MPG pretty much perfectly. Even then, I'm quite happy with its motorway MPG as it is matching what I expected. It is just more and better than I was ever expecting!

From a spirited driving enthusiasts view, I can see why the F30 doesn't live up to the E90's more hardcore side what with the softer setup, EPS, 4cyl 28i, turbocharging, etc... but for me who doesn't give the laws of physics a bloody know on each and every outing, it's great!

I hope I can inspire other F30 owners to write up their thoughts and see how people view and drive their cars differently too.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #39
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticamihai2003 View Post
Can you upload a video with instant fuel consumption when driving in the city please? I do 90% of driving in the city and I am very curious on what the 328 is compared to my MINI Cooper S. From what I've red about the 328, it is quite a bit more efficient than my car and I would like to buy a BMW in the near future.
Possibly! It's probably unlikely I'll be able to do a city one for you (but you never know!) as I'm not in too often but I can do some general running about town.

What I can tell you is that the worst I've seen in town driving is 29mpg with only 600mls on the clock and the range is to about 35mpg.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #40
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Very good review and I was personally looking to see what you think of the ride quality on our UK roads.

I found the 328i I tested (on standard suspension and 18" wheels) a massive improvement over standard suspension on the E90/91 models. But not firm enough for press on driving. My review comments were...

So I'll be going for the adaptive suspension.

I also made the following comment...

Have you come across this one?

HighlandPete
Yeah you should go for the Adaptive M, but like I said, I think the standard one does a great job of absorbing the bumps but still offering sportiness.

If you are one to push the car very hard, yep, go for the Adaptive M and stick it in Sport+!

Not come across this bouncy thing over bumps. I have speed bumps on the road lower down the hill which I go over most mornings (gently) but the car handles it fine. Couldn't say it was better than the E90 but definitely no worse. I'll look out for that next time though!

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #41
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm looking to move from an M57 330d to the 328i touring (wagon), so again had reservations on the engine ability to feel solid.

My view...

The other reason for me looking to the 328i, I'm a low mileage user these days, in the BMW, and many of the trips are only about 12 miles. So not good for a big diesel with the DPF regenerations and all the other issues of cold running winter time.

HighlandPete
Yeah I saw you mention this in one of the F30 UK threads - makes sense for you! A 330d would make more sense for me really because of the high mileage but it obviously wasn't on the market in time. And this is a pleasant change from diesel and has really changed my driving style mated to the 8AT! Made me... slower. Well, less punchy and aggressive. As you know, the 330d especially after 1600rpm just gives you a written invitation to boot it and I often gave in lol, but because the 28i is so linear and the transmission so smooth, I've found myself just tickling it along more. Until I get held up or the temptation of Sport mode is too much. Then it flies!

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #42
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Thanks. True, but I really don't have anything bad to say about it, even coming from an E90! It just suits me more, and does everything apart from the MPG pretty much perfectly. Even then, I'm quite happy with its motorway MPG as it is matching what I expected. It is just more and better than I was ever expecting!

From a spirited driving enthusiasts view, I can see why the F30 doesn't live up to the E90's more hardcore side what with the softer setup, EPS, 4cyl 28i, turbocharging, etc... but for me who doesn't give the laws of physics a bloody know on each and every outing, it's great!

I hope I can inspire other F30 owners to write up their thoughts and see how people view and drive their cars differently too.

Thanks for the extensive detailed review...

... as soon as i get mine back, i will be able to review mine 335i properly instead of going through the rush of an ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #43
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport

Quote:
Possibly! It's probably unlikely I'll be able to do a city one for you (but you never know!) as I'm not in too often but I can do some general running about town.

What I can tell you is that the worst I've seen in town driving is 29mpg with only 600mls on the clock and the range is to about 35mpg.

Thanks. It really is a surprise for me on how the N20 engine is efficient as is powerful. I know the N18 engine in my MINI was the best 1,6 litre engine but this 2 litre engine is amazing and this is also one of the reasons BMW has slightly higher prices than the competition(there's a thread about this). I think, if I can afford I will choose the F30 328i to the F20 without thinking twice.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #44
notSTAT1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Future F30

Best post I've read in weeks, I can't even thinl of any questions... thanks for taking the time
Appreciate 0