F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 DIY US Headlight Switch Modification for Rear Fog Lights + Coding
ARMA SPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #23
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

i tried this and was unsuccessful...it seems they have changed some key/value pairs on the F32...i do not see

Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output = nsl_l
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_Function = nebelschlusslicht
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsl_l
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_Function = nebelschlusslicht

The closest i have are

MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_OUTPUT AND MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_R_OUTPUT

i figured i'd give that a shot and change those values from "off" to "nsw_l" but when i coded the fdl it came back with an error...so i tried again but i think the error was pretty severe and i could not read coding data of the CAFD any longer...i had to basically reset FEMBODY to get it to work again which erases any coding you did and resets it back to stock

...but i'm an idiot and thought maybe i did something wrong the first time and i tried again...same thing...so i gave up

if anyone has any suggestions please let me know...it would be nice to get this working as i wouldn't mind having some extra light back there when i'm reversing...the current backup lights are way too dim
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #24
shawnsheridan
General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
4562
Rep
24,472
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasengan View Post
i tried this and was unsuccessful...it seems they have changed some key/value pairs on the F32...i do not see

Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output = nsl_l
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_Function = nebelschlusslicht
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsl_l
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_Function = nebelschlusslicht

The closest i have are

MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_OUTPUT AND MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_R_OUTPUT

i figured i'd give that a shot and change those values from "off" to "nsw_l" but when i coded the fdl it came back with an error...so i tried again but i think the error was pretty severe and i could not read coding data of the CAFD any longer...i had to basically reset FEMBODY to get it to work again which erases any coding you did and resets it back to stock

...but i'm an idiot and thought maybe i did something wrong the first time and i tried again...same thing...so i gave up

if anyone has any suggestions please let me know...it would be nice to get this working as i wouldn't mind having some extra light back there when i'm reversing...the current backup lights are way too dim
1) I would expect Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsl_l to be nsl_r (As in the right rear Fog Light not the Left one)

2) Those 4 codes are in REM (Rear Electronics Module) not FEM_BODY (Front Electronics Module).
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
1) I would expect Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsl_l to be nsl_r (As in the right rear Fog Light not the Left one)

2) Those 4 codes are in REM (Rear Electronics Module) not FEM_BODY (Front Electronics Module).

ah yes you are right, i was looking in FEMBODY for those 2...they were indeed in REM...thanks for the millionth time!

got it to work although i don't think these are quite as bright as the ones posted earlier...if anyone knows how to increase the backup light brightness, PLEASE let me know!

thanks to the OP for the very clear instructions...entire mod took about 30 minutes...the thing that took the most time were smoothening out those tabs that wouldn't allow you to press the button in
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #26
M2Cmtl
Captain
312
Rep
671
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2 Comp
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Is there a part number for a switch with the actual rear fog logo?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #27
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
Is there a part number for a switch with the actual rear fog logo?
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F31-328...hes/ES2562202/
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #28
hsk1610
Lieutenant
68
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

I ordered the ECS switch but the rear fog button does not light up. Does the button light up only after you activate the rear fog function? Just installed it but haven't had time to take the laptop out to the car to program it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #29
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
164
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: 2013 F30 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

No idea, the US spec one does not have an LED.. Let us know after you code it. I would guess not.
__________________
Current: 2020 M340i xDrive - DAP - DAP Pro - Prem - Executive - Remote Start - Wireless Charging - HK
History: 2008 e90 328xi > 2011 e90 LCI 335i xDrive > 2013 F30 328i xDrive > 2016 F30 LCI 340i xDrive

WE ARE!
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #30
hsk1610
Lieutenant
68
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
No idea, the US spec one does not have an LED.. Let us know after you code it. I would guess not.
You were right, the US original switch did not have the LED in the circuit board. I bought an USED ECS switch so was trying to mix and match since the used one had some cosmetic blemishes. Got all the buttons to lit up, and everything functions but the rear fog. Did program the 4 settings in REM as instructed plus activating one under FEM_Body. Double checked the work and all the settings are correct. Not sure why it's not turning on.

Finally got it to work. I wasn't saving it correctly.

Last edited by hsk1610; 11-21-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
Kankles
Rear Admiral
Kankles's Avatar
No_Country
943
Rep
1,429
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: €

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Hell yeah!

Awesome DIY! My rear fogs now work so I'm not eventually hassled by control technique here in Belgium! The only small difference, the nsl_r was the value for the right side:

Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsl_l >>>>selected nsl_r and worked great! no nsl_l value selectable

Again, great job!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #32
jplev
Private
7
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 435ix Convertible
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks for this write up. It was very helpful to make this modification.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #33
eyalgoldman
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bend, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk1610 View Post
I ordered the ECS switch but the rear fog button does not light up. Does the button light up only after you activate the rear fog function? Just installed it but haven't had time to take the laptop out to the car to program it.
If you look at the PCB board in the headlight switch assembly you will see a rubber pad which sits between the fog lamp buttons and the PCB itself.. If you remove it (and you don't need to… pain to get it back in) you would see that there is an LED mounted to the PCB for the front fog light, however there is not one for the rear fog.

Some research would need to be done to figure out the exact led that is being used by BMW on these PCB's… but you could easily solder one on.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #34
eyalgoldman
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bend, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasengan View Post
Anywhere to purchase just the rear fog button instead of the whole assembly?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #35
eyalgoldman
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bend, OR

iTrader: (0)

azwillnj… excellent post thus far… I have only been able to complete the physical switch portion as I am still trying to locate where and how to download the e-sys program and the data files. I have read the complete post by svache, however, are any of you guys able to point me in the right direction of actually getting the software itself downloaded.

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #36
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
164
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: 2013 F30 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

You need to PM shawnsheridan, he will give you the links and hook you up with a key.
__________________
Current: 2020 M340i xDrive - DAP - DAP Pro - Prem - Executive - Remote Start - Wireless Charging - HK
History: 2008 e90 328xi > 2011 e90 LCI 335i xDrive > 2013 F30 328i xDrive > 2016 F30 LCI 340i xDrive

WE ARE!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #37
shawnsheridan
General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
4562
Rep
24,472
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalgoldman View Post
azwillnj… excellent post thus far… I have only been able to complete the physical switch portion as I am still trying to locate where and how to download the e-sys program and the data files. I have read the complete post by svache, however, are any of you guys able to point me in the right direction of actually getting the software itself downloaded.

thanks,
PM sent.
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #38
eyalgoldman
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bend, OR

iTrader: (0)

Hate to be that guy... but I have a 2013 F30 and am new to coding but did a bunch tonight. I cannot locate the proper area in the code mentioned above... Any help with that?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #39
shawnsheridan
General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
4562
Rep
24,472
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalgoldman View Post
Hate to be that guy... but I have a 2013 F30 and am new to coding but did a bunch tonight. I cannot locate the proper area in the code mentioned above... Any help with that?
Did you look in REM module instead of FEM_BODY?
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #40
eyalgoldman
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bend, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Did you look in REM module instead of FEM_BODY?
So I edited the two values as shown in the attached picture, but it ended with an error.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #41
shawnsheridan
General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
4562
Rep
24,472
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
So you did the left only and not the right?

What is the error?
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #42
eyalgoldman
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bend, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
So you did the left only and not the right?

What is the error?
Correct and here is the error report
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #43
shawnsheridan
General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
4562
Rep
24,472
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalgoldman View Post
Correct and here is the error report
This is a coding issue, not an FDL Setting issue. Are you able to successfully code other things?
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:10 AM   #44
shawnsheridan
General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
4562
Rep
24,472
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalgoldman View Post
Well I just coded four other things, successfully in e-sys which are the following:

Default start in Eco mode
Speed display in the BC
Auto/Start Stop Last position memory
Doors to unlock after turning off engine (coded ok, but not working yet)

and it did code the rear fog light successfully this time, but the switch does not do anything
Are you able to successfully code any FDL Change in this specific REM CAFD file besides the two changes you attempted?
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST