F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > CIC Retrofit on F30
ARMA SPEED

08-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
marcoac14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

CIC Retrofit on F30

Hello guys,

I know this has probably been answered before but I can't find a thread with all the information I need to do a CIC retrofit on my non Nav F30.

I believe I have all the necessary hardware but before swapping the units I need to know what I need to code on my car. Can anyone share this information with me or point a thread where I can find this info?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
For the most part, it's just swapping out the screen and the head unit and adding 609 to your vehicle order.

You do however, need a combox for Bluetooth to work and that is very difficult to wire.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
marcoac14
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
For the most part, it's just swapping out the screen and the head unit and adding 609 to your vehicle order.

You do however, need a combox for Bluetooth to work and that is very difficult to wire.
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the car came with combox. So no wiring required, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
You don't find anything about F30 CIC Retrofit, because everyone doing a Nav Pro Retrofit, retrofits NBT and not CIC.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
marcoac14
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You don't find anything about F30 CIC Retrofit, because everyone doing a Nav Pro Retrofit, retrofits NBT and not CIC.
Makes sense. If I were to buy a entertainment unit, I'd certainly get an NBT.
However I have a friend who bought this CIC unit for his F20 and later figured out he'd need a Combox too. Then, instead of getting a Combox unit, he preferred to get an NBT unit because it's easier to install.

He asked me if I wanted to retrofit it on my car since I the car came with Combox from factory. Why not?

Last edited by marcoac14; 08-12-2014 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoac14 View Post
Makes sense. If I were to buy a entertainment unit, I'd certainly get an NBT.
However I have a friend who bought this CIC unit for his F20 and later figured out he'd need a Combox too. Then, instead of getting a Combox unit, he preferred to get an NBT unit because it's easier to install.

He asked me I wanted to retrofit it on my car since I the car came with Combox from factory. Why not?
If you already have a combox, it should be pretty much plug and play but you will need the 8.8" display, hardware activation module and a new connecting line for the display.

As for the coding, just add 609 to your FA, VO code HU_CIC and CMD_MEDIA or KOMBI if you have 6WA and you should be good.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
marcoac14
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you already have a combox, it should be pretty much plug and play but you will need the 8.8" display, hardware activation module and a new connecting line for the display.

As for the coding, just add 609 to your FA, VO code HU_CIC and CMD_MEDIA or KOMBI if you have 6WA and you should be good.
I have the display and the cable too. I still don't have the nav activation harness.
I'll make it work with the nav deactivated before spending a dime on it.

I'm thinking of retrofitting the cluster too but one step at a time.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

The NBT has the Combox built into the head unit, so it's easier to wire and has the latest graphics and features... If you have a F series, and your spending the money, upgrade to the NBT - If you have a CIC unit, sell it to a E series owner looking to retrofit... just my 2 cents... otherwise, just hit up some of the retrofit sponsors here and get the cables you need.. they can do the coding for you (for a cost) if you have all the parts...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
marcoac14
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
The NBT has the Combox built into the head unit, so it's easier to wire and has the latest graphics and features... If you have a F series, and your spending the money, upgrade to the NBT - If you have a CIC unit, sell it to a E series owner looking to retrofit... just my 2 cents... otherwise, just hit up some of the retrofit sponsors here and get the cables you need.. they can do the coding for you (for a cost) if you have all the parts...
What features are available on NBT that aren't on CIC?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Well, from a coding perspectives, there are a lot more options with the HUD, more options for video playback, Siri integration, and it will have more updates and compatibilities with future iphones, etc.. simply because the product is the current production system.

The CIC is good, and probably cost wise there are tons of them floating around... but if you are going to do the effort, spend the money, and update the car, then it would make sense to use the latest... honestly I still miss my CCC system for some things... I find the NAV worked somewhat better... the traffic seemed better... stuff like that...

Going back to the NBT - it also has the Nvidia graphics processor, and I think it's using a totally different hard drive system and more memory... and since Bluetooth and everything (including Xm) are built into the box, you just need to code it on... If you go with the CIC and get a combox, you will need to get one with XM and Bluetooth - getting it with the telematics stuff won't do any good because the SIM card in it won't be activated and you can't use BMW assist or any BMW connected apps... (unless you get one with the wireless adapter built in where you can pair a phone and get BMW internet). but at the end of the day, it's up to how much money you want to spend, how much work you want to put into the car and what do you want to get out of it... I when I had my E90 with CCC NAV, I tried to bring myself to get BimmerTech to do the upgrade and install the CIC for me... but after looking at the cost, I decided it wasn't worth it... and now that I HAVE it, I am happy I didn't do it... because I would have rather had the NBT - when I got this F30, I thought it had the NBT - but then I realized only the cars with the touchpad Idrive controller have the NBT's... so it was my mistake for not knowing / paying attention - but I'm happy with my purchase either way... hope this little bit helps... it' s just one person's opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
+1

Can sell Head Unit and Combox from car to help offset NBT costs.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #12
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The list of hardware upgrades (vs. the current) include:

* Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
* 1GB RAM (vs 512Mb)
* 8GB flash (vs 512Mb)
* Nvidia graphics (vs Fujitsu)
* 200GB hard drive (vs 80Gb)

For features, read this:

New BMW 609 Professional Nav Overview July 2012.pdf

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
As one of the few people who actually went from CIC to NBT, I get a lot of people asking me if it's actually worth it and my answer is no.

If you have CIC, going to NBT really doesn't add much functionality to what you already have. The only two things that stand out is the Siri Eyes Free and the USB Video playback; other than that, the rest is all improvements to the UI and processing speed. The NBT maps look more detailed and you get gas station logos.

If you had it 100% OEM with a TCB with the 6AK option, I think it's more worthwhile since you will have the Real Time Traffic Infomation which proves quite useful. I don't think anyone will be able to retrofit that so I might just consider getting a native NBT system with the 6AK set of options on my next car.

I mainly just got it because I wanted to keep up with the changes that they are making to the new vehicles and I really liked the design of the new interface.

If you do upgrade to NBT though, I highly recommend getting the touch controller as it does prove pretty useful and I feel that it's the finishing touch to the retrofit.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 08-12-2014 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I may actually attempt the TCB retrofit when I do my NBT retrofit.

You would get ARTTI with 6AM with TCB. Without it, you should still get 6UH RTTI as fallback on NBT, same as CIC has.

Besides all the features shown in the "New BMW 609 Professional Nav Overview July 2012.pdf" I posted above, there are many other things that are added or improved. iDrive Touch with Handwriting Support, Map AutoZoom on main map, not just side map, etc.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
^

I think it might be possible if you already have an active BMW Assist subscription. You can probably take the SIM from the CMB_ECALL and move it to the TCB. I've seen threads about people with older CIC builds and replacing their TCU's with CMB_ECALLs so maybe the same can be done with CMB_ECALL to TCB.

It's probably going to take some annoying phone calls to BMW NA to convince them to activate your 6AK and 6AM options unless you use someone else's account and VIN.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #16
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I was in Upstate New York last week and I do get TMC traffic but it doesn't show up in a grid with all the roads outlined in green, yellow and red like on RTTI. It doesn't suggest new routes either so I don't think it's as useful.

Funny part was, I never needed to code it and I don't even have my FM Radio FAKRA connected so it has to be getting it from my SDARS antenna.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
^

I think it might be possible if you already have an active BMW Assist subscription. You can probably take the SIM from the CMB_ECALL and move it to the TCB. I've seen threads about people with older CIC builds and replacing their TCU's with CMB_ECALLs so maybe the same can be done with CMB_ECALL to TCB.

It's probably going to take some annoying phone calls to BMW NA to convince them to activate your 6AK and 6AM options unless you use someone else's account and VIN.
Yeah, I haven't got my head around this one yet. I don't know how best to approach the VIN in TCB if one can be written to it, nor the SIM Card. I believe when BMW replaces a TCU, or Telematics Combox, or TCB, they do not take old SIM card and reuse it, so there must be some procedure with BMW Assist to update account with new SIM card and provision it. The issue though may be getting them to add different services like Floating Point Data for ARTTI. I just don't know.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I was in Upstate New York last week and I do get TMC traffic but it doesn't show up in a grid with all the roads outlined in green, yellow and red like on RTTI. It doesn't suggest new routes either so I don't think it's as useful.

Funny part was, I never needed to code it and I don't even have my FM Radio FAKRA connected so it has to be getting it from my SDARS antenna.
Maybe you need to add 6AM or 6UH to FA and VO Code your NBT before RTTI fallback works properly.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #19
marcoac14
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all guys.

In my opinion the touchpad is too expensive and I wouldn't benefit much from it because I'm left-handed. It'd be difficult for me to write with my right fingers. Don't know.

Is CIC unit too slow that would make me regret not getting NBT?

Satellite radio is not available here in Brazil just like Real time traffic.

Selling this kind of hardware here in Brazil is very difficult.

I do like the internet feature. Isn't it possible to make the internet browser work on CIC?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #20
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You may still need a iDrive Controller if yours does not have all the buttons.

NBT is quicker for sure, but CIC speed is tolerable.

I would think selling used parts on eBay in Brazil is no different then selling them from anywhere else.

Internet is actually easier to get working with CIC and standalone Combox then NBT with integrated Combox. But internet on CIC is absolutely worthless. I decoded my 2 days after coding it because.
  • No Internet-In-Motion
  • Speed - 3G connection and the CPU in the CIC is just plain slow. Maybe with a 4G phone and the new upgraded HU_NBT Head Unit, the speed will be better.
  • Browser - The CIC uses some flavor of Firefox 3.5, and there is no support for Flash, Java, or Silverlight, etc.
  • Input - iDrive Controller scrolling through the alphabet one character at a time to enter URL's or fill in User Name or Password fields is painful. The Touch Controller will improve this.
  • Loosing Google - Send-To functionality, which is part of BMW Assist.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #21
marcoac14
Private First Class
Rep

My friend lent me everything I need to make it work hardwire wise, including cables and controller.

Shipping cost from Brazil to other countries is sometimes expensive and there's no market for this kind of product here. My friend has tried to sell it for months actually.

Dont't know if the touchpad will help me much as I'm left-handed.

Why is it more difficult to get internet working with NBT?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Because NBT Combox is integrated in Head Unit, and lacks an FDL Code that allows for writing a Whitelisted VIN to it.

Appreciate 0