F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d Xdrive black smoke and strong exhaust smell
GetBMWParts

09-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #111
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

I know....................STRESSING!

lol
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #112
Steveo.G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

Garage List
2016 F30 335d  [0.00]
Every time I see this at the top of the thread list I think it's an update from the OP!
      09-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #113
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d m sport xdrive

Hi all, you'll be pleased to know this is an update haha!

I did say that it's booked in for Wednesday (today) for the inspection.

They had the car for only an hour and found out that the sensors have been bypassed and in fact aren't connected to the dpf. Photo I attached to the first post shows the black braided hose looped back into the dpf. Should go to a higher point.

They removed the front under tray to look at the dpf and it looks quite battered, it's dented so they suspect the honeycomb has been removed internally and the dde remapped to prevent back pressure faults and check engine light coming on.

I have all this in writing and have sent it to the dealer but he hasn't responded and that was around 10am today.

Plus in the notes accompanying this info on the invoice they quoted for genuine parts, dpf, gaskets, re installing the original ecu map etc. And it comes to the total of £2250 including vat. The dpf alone is £1800 or so for the genuine item.

Thanks,
Connor.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
      09-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #114
Roo12
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 4 Series GC M Sport +

Wow, glad you are getting closer to understanding the issue and will be interested to see what the dealer says - you may want to put him on notice that you are considering rejecting

Best of luck and looking forward to next update 😀
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #115
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo12 View Post
Wow, glad you are getting closer to understanding the issue and will be interested to see what the dealer says - you may want to put him on notice that you are considering rejecting

Best of luck and looking forward to next update 😀
Thanks

The dealer has been well Informed, that is why I've had to do the emissions test and inspection (also for my piece of mind and to confirm suspicions) because he wouldn't entertain anything to do with a rejection. So I had to get proof.

Will wait and see what he says, although I have about 10 days before my 30 day short term rejection period is up.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #116
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0nn0r91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo12 View Post

Best of luck and looking forward to next update
Thanks

The dealer has been well Informed, that is why I've had to do the emissions test and inspection (also for my piece of mind and to confirm suspicions) because he wouldn't entertain anything to do with a rejection. So I had to get proof.

Will wait and see what he says, although I have about 10 days before my 30 day short term rejection period is up.
Sounds like an open and shut case - I'm sure you'll have the backing of the finance company given he's flogged you (knowingly or otherwise) a car that isn't road legal.

Best of luck getting it all sorted, and hope it doesn't put you off another F30!
      09-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #117
Steveo.G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 F30 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi all, you'll be pleased to know this is an update haha!

I did say that it's booked in for Wednesday (today) for the inspection.

They had the car for only an hour and found out that the sensors have been bypassed and in fact aren't connected to the dpf. Photo I attached to the first post shows the black braided hose looped back into the dpf. Should go to a higher point.

They removed the front under tray to look at the dpf and it looks quite battered, it's dented so they suspect the honeycomb has been removed internally and the dde remapped to prevent back pressure faults and check engine light coming on.

I have all this in writing and have sent it to the dealer but he hasn't responded and that was around 10am today.

Plus in the notes accompanying this info on the invoice they quoted for genuine parts, dpf, gaskets, re installing the original ecu map etc. And it comes to the total of £2250 including vat. The dpf alone is £1800 or so for the genuine item.

Thanks,
Connor.
So what are you saying more towards?
Rejecting?
Or keping the car so long as the dealer foots the bill and puts this right?
I personally think I'd opt for the latter because the cars obviously has £££'s spent on it and it looks the part!
I know it's obviously made this an illegal car but who's to say this hadn't been done at the start of the cars life when mapping and dpf removal was a big thing, most tuners/mappers were doing this and emissions regulations weren't so strict.
Did you have the suspension checked out too?
      09-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #118
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

I'd not hesitate - reject, reject, reject !
If this is what has been found, what other horrors are lurking? Plus, you don't lower the car, tune it, remove DPF and then drive it like a nun...… chances are it's been thrashed by the previous owner. This car is a time bomb in my mind.

There's plenty of cars out there, bye a good, unmodded motor and get the work done yourself, properly. It'll be much better in the long run even if it takes more effort right now
      09-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #119
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo.G View Post
Rejecting?
I personally think I'd opt for the latter because the cars obviously has £££'s spent on it and it looks the part!
I know it's obviously made this an illegal car but who's to say this hadn't been done at the start of the cars life when mapping and dpf removal was a big thing, most tuners/mappers were doing this and emissions regulations weren't so strict.
I'll see what the dealer says really to putting it right, its just I can't tell whether the car has had a hard life if it was remapped for power or just remapped for the lack of the dpf internals.

I do like the car and the spec, I don't think it'll be easy to find another one with the same features in the same colour and fairly low mileage.

I asked them about the suspension in regards to whether the original springs have any markings or tags. And they said the originals tend to have plastic tags. Which this didn't. Without taking the springs off they said they couldn't be sure. But it does look lowered to me compared with others I see about.
They were going to check the measurement from floor to wheel arch against their wheel alignment figures but they didn't get time since they were very busy with customers. The main thing was the dpf really.

They did say they could check over the work if the dealer does get anything done, depending whether I go that route.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #120
Steveo.G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 F30 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Rejecting?
I'll see what the dealer says really to putting it right, its just I can't tell whether the car has had a hard life if it was remapped for power or just remapped for the lack of the dpf internals.

I do like the car and the spec, I don't think it'll be easy to find another one with the same features in the same colour and fairly low mileage.

I asked them about the suspension in regards to whether the original springs have any markings or tags. And they said the originals tend to have plastic tags. Which this didn't. Without taking the springs off they said they couldn't be sure. But it does look lowered to me compared with others I see about.
They were going to check the measurement from floor to wheel arch against their wheel alignment figures but they didn't get time since they were very busy with customers. The main thing was the dpf really.

They did say they could check over the work if the dealer does get anything done, depending whether I go that route.
Tough decision for you mate.
I know everyone is warning you away from the car and reckon that if it's had all that work done the then it's been wheelspun in every carpark that it's seen and been driven flat out everywhere between them but that's not necessarily true because their are people who just like to spend money on their car to make it look that little better looking and faster than the next one.
going by a lot of the comments on other stuff I've seen on here half the guys on the forum are driving their cars hard.
On the grand scheme of it to find another car with the same spec and to mod it the same how much extra is that going to cost you??
I plan on doing a few performance mods but that doesn't mean I'm going to drive flat out everywhere I go and start racing every other 335d or fast car I come across.... I just want to know that my cars going to be that bit quicker than it is standard.
EDIT:
I just checked there and my arch heights from the ground are front 700mm & rear 680mm sitting on 255/30/20 rear and 225/35/20 front.
I'd definitely say your car's been lowered looking at the pics of it
      09-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #121
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
I know everyone is warning you away from the car and reckon that if it's had all that work done the then it's been wheelspun in every carpark that it's seen and been driven flat out everywhere between them but that's not necessarily true because their are people who just like to spend money on their car to make it look that little better looking and faster than the next one.
going by a lot of the comments on other stuff I've seen on here half the guys on the forum are driving their cars hard.
On the grand scheme of it to find another car with the same spec and to mod it the same how much extra is that going to cost you??
I plan on doing a few performance mods but that doesn't mean I'm going to drive flat out everywhere I go and start racing every other 335d or fast car I come across.... I just want to know that my cars going to be that bit quicker than it is standard.
But if the previous owner was stupid enough to have the DPF removed, especially on an F30 which makes virtually zero difference, then I’d really worry what else he’s was stupid enough to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #122
Steveo.G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 F30 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
But if the previous owner was stupid enough to have the DPF removed, especially on an F30 which makes virtually zero difference, then I'd really worry what else he's was stupid enough to do.
Maybe this guy knows nothing about cars and had been ill informed by a mapper/tuner so they could charge that bit more.
I totally agree there are a lot of unknowns with this but this is the case with any used car.
The OP could just as easily go and buy a car with no modifications that's been thrashed and driven to its limits every mile of its life.
I've found out for myself the expensive way that it tends to be the cars that have had no money spent on them that tend to be the ones that have been abused
      09-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #123
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

i hope the dealer will be offering some form of compensation as well for all this effort you've had to go through, if you decide to keep it that is......
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
      09-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #124
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Rejecting?

You sound a nice guy and I hope the dealer doesn't keep stringing you along

I would get the official notice of cancellation in ASAP to cover yourself, that's all you have to do within the 30 day period even if you do work out a deal

You are also fully within your rights to ask the dealer to collect car, as now you know DPF has been removed it is technically illegal to drive it on the public roads so impossible for you to return unless on a low loader

Good luck anyway with decision

I wonder now they got the MOT done though? but that's another question
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #125
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
I'd not hesitate - reject, reject, reject !
If this is what has been found, what other horrors are lurking? Plus, you don't lower the car, tune it, remove DPF and then drive it like a nun...… chances are it's been thrashed by the previous owner. This car is a time bomb in my mind.

There's plenty of cars out there, bye a good, unmodded motor and get the work done yourself, properly. It'll be much better in the long run even if it takes more effort right now
100%.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #126
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
You sound a nice guy and I hope the dealer doesn't keep stringing you along

I would get the official notice of cancellation in ASAP to cover yourself, that's all you have to do within the 30 day period even if you do work out a deal

You are also fully within your rights to ask the dealer to collect car, as now you know DPF has been removed it is technically illegal to drive it on the public roads so impossible for you to return unless on a low loader

Good luck anyway with decision

I wonder now they got the MOT done though? but that's another question
This^

I would also report the MOT station for passing an illegal car for the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #127
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Glad you like to go the end of it, as said you could have found this out by a 5 minutes ista D session lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #128
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs_435d View Post
Glad you like to go the end of it, as said you could have found this out by a 5 minutes ista D session lol.
I'm not sure the finance company or the dealer would accept anything that hasn't been undertaken by a professional company with a headed letter invoice though.

Thanks,
Connor.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #129
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
I'm not sure the finance company or the dealer would accept anything that hasn't been undertaken by a professional company with a headed letter invoice though.

Thanks,
Connor.
have you got an update yet?

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #130
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Quote:

Thanks,
Connor.
No they're wouldn't but it would have saved you some time and money.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #131
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
have you got an update yet?
Yes I have. The dealer got back to me saying thanks for the information and that he'd need the car to do an in house inspection and if they find anything wrong with the dpf they'd endeavour to have it rectified at their cost.

I had already told him last week I'm thinking to reject the car. So I replied saying I'm rejecting the car and that since I'm still within my 30 day period he wouldn't need to do an in house inspection for the finance company to be refunded. Due to the proof I have from what I've paid to have done.

I went on to say that I've informed the finance company and sent them copies of the info I have in regards to emissions and inspection and that they would be in contact with him once they've reviewed them.

He replied saying that before rejection they need to have an opportunity to inspect and repair if necessary.

So I replied saying that I'd double check with the finance company because I believe that since I'm still within the 30 day period you can send a vehicle back and get a full refund.

Thanks,
Connor.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #132
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

I think you're doing the right thing mate.

You are under no obligation to allow the dealer an attempt to fix the problem.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/
Appreciate 1