F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d Xdrive black smoke and strong exhaust smell
Extreme Powerhouse

09-07-2018, 02:29 AM   #133
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Well done Conor - clear communication with the dealer; sticking to your position and decision.

Obviously you'll see this coming, but the dealer will almost certainly wriggle and haggle to try and get a chance to repair the car and keep the sale (your cash).

I think you're doing the right thing with this car.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.

Last edited by Watsey; 09-07-2018 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:18 AM   #134
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d m sport xdrive

As expected the dealer has said that the law states they have an opportunity to inspect and repair any fault with the car. And they'd like that opportunity.

I said that's true but not at this moment in time because I'm still within the 30 day period, so I don't have to accept that offer. So as I've said before I'll be rejecting the vehicle.

To which he replied, he disagrees and that his legal team has advised him he has an opportunity to inspect and fix the car. He would like to take that chance.

Connor.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:24 AM   #135
H2B
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 MW X5 40i MSport

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0nn0r91 View Post
As expected the dealer has said that the law states they have an opportunity to inspect and repair any fault with the car. And they'd like that opportunity.

I said that's true but not at this moment in time because I'm still within the 30 day period, so I don't have to accept that offer. So as I've said before I'll be rejecting the vehicle.

To which he replied, he disagrees and that his legal team has advised him he has an opportunity to inspect and fix the car. He would like to take that chance.

Connor.
I love it when a dealer says "legal team" and makes you think he's got a legion of suits reviewing his dispute.

This is just another tactic to keep the sale. They'll inspect the car and make the necessary changes and then try to make you feel that they're awfully nice doing you this favor in the hopes that you won't reject the car. They get to keep their sale and you get a potential lemon.

Don't waste your time and find yourself a good car from a more honest and thorough dealer. They sold you a shady deal. End of story.
2014 Audi Q5 S-line (retired)
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2018, 03:36 AM   #136
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

All just time wasting tactics from the dealer to try and drag it out beyond the 30 day period.

Might be worth getting a solicitor's letter to inform them of your position then the dealer will have absolutely no doubt that you're serious and his position might well then soften
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:43 AM   #137
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Tell the dealer you want it in writing from his legal team that you HAVE to accept this as you are certain that the law states you are well within your rights to reject the car.

The law states it is best if you give the garage a chance it doesn't say you have to.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:47 AM   #138
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
I think you're doing the right thing mate.

You are under no obligation to allow the dealer an attempt to fix the problem.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/
This.

Stand your ground Connor. This feels like the dealer just wants to string things out until it is too late. A reputable dealer would not fight so hard against rejection IMHO, they would be confident of resolving the issue and reselling to someone else. Says to me that they know it's a lemon.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 04:03 AM   #139
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Apparently his legal lady is going to write to me
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 04:20 AM   #140
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I'd put it in writing, via recorded/signed delivery, that you are formally rejecting the car and setting out the precise details why.

This will categorically establish that your rejection of the car was within the 30 day period.

If the dealer writes to you after your letter that's his prerogative, however, if you delay your letter until you receive his it could tip the timescales beyond 30 days.

I'd act now and get this on the record.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2018, 04:21 AM   #141
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d 2015 M Performance

Hope everything's working itself out for you.

Once this blows over I'd recommend disclosing the name of this dealership so that people don't make the mistake of going to them or if they do they'll be extra cautious before making a purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 04:24 AM   #142
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Agree about sending the letter signed for.
They can write all they like in their letter but the law states you can just reject it and they can't change a thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #143
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I'd put it in writing, via recorded/signed delivery, that you are formally rejecting the car and setting out the precise details why.

This will categorically establish that your rejection of the car was within the 30 day period.

If the dealer writes to you after your letter that's his prerogative, however, if you delay your letter until you receive his it could tip the timescales beyond 30 days.

I'd act now and get this on the record.
Definitely this. Get the letter in the post and recorded before the day is out.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 04:46 AM   #144
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Yeah because she can't phone or email you as that's instant so instead she will do an archaic thing such as snail mail to waste more time.

This dealer is a cunt.
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2018, 04:48 AM   #145
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcami View Post
Hope everything's working itself out for you.

Once this blows over I'd recommend disclosing the name of this dealership so that people don't make the mistake of going to them or if they do they'll be extra cautious before making a purchase.
We know who the dealer is, its on page 4.
Appreciate 1
Lagemba27.50
      09-07-2018, 05:01 AM   #146
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Sounds like he's going to try and be a cock. As already advised get the rejection letter in immediately now via next day recorded delivery. You could still later change your mind and keep the car if you get a satisfactory outcome here from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 05:31 AM   #147
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

I've phoned the finance company and they have already received my formal email stating all the facts and that I'd like to reject the vehicle alongside my attached documents of proof. I asked if I needed to send a formal letter to the dealership and they said it wasn't necessary, since the handler of my case would be dealing with the rejection process and reviewing the documents to make a decision on whether the points raised are enough basis for rejection.

The 30 day period freezes from the point you make the complaint / make the rejection formal. So the dealer has no gain from trying to drag it out.

Thanks,
Connor.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #148
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d 2015 M Performance

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I've phoned the finance company and they have already received my formal email stating all the facts and that I'd like to reject the vehicle alongside my attached documents of proof. I asked if I needed to send a formal letter to the dealership and they said it wasn't necessary, since the handler of my case would be dealing with the rejection process and reviewing the documents to make a decision on whether the points raised are enough basis for rejection.

The 30 day period freezes from the point you make the complaint / make the rejection formal. So the dealer has no gain from trying to drag it out.

Thanks,
Connor.
Good news, glad to hear you're getting somewhere mate.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 05:42 AM   #149
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

i will say this and only you can make this decision as you will know how you are feeling towards the car.

if you are happy with the car other than the map and smoke. then i would consider the repair BUT i would ask them to throw in a 3 year warranty with the car for peace of mind going forward or if you have lost all confidence in the car then yea get the rejection

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #150
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
i will say this and only you can make this decision as you will know how you are feeling towards the car.

if you are happy with the car other than the map and smoke. then i would consider the repair BUT i would ask them to throw in a 3 year warranty with the car for peace of mind going forward or if you have lost all confidence in the car then yea get the rejection
As warranty (I assume you mean a 3rd party warranty, as you'd be batshit crazy to expect the dealer to personally warranty the car) only covers defective parts used in accordance with manufacturers instructions and use....and this car has had its ECU opened, map modified, exhaust modified, suspension modified.....exactly what is left of the car that would be covered by a warranty please?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #151
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks,
Connor.
Glad things are moving in your favour but whatever you do don't use the car as that could count against you, being your rejection claim is that it is unroadworthy

Would also consider reporting the dealer for selling a unroadworthy car and MOT station to VOSA (or whoever their trade body is?) if they keep playing these mind games

Once sorted I hope you post details of car reg etc so no one here gets caught out by it, suspect the dealer will just put it through an auction when they get it back so it could reappear anywhere
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:18 AM   #152
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Well done Conor for following the good advice on here. Stick to your guns and it should be fine.

Once it's all over and you're ready to buy I'm sure there will be plenty of advice from here :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #153
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
As warranty (I assume you mean a 3rd party warranty, as you'd be batshit crazy to expect the dealer to personally warranty the car) only covers defective parts used in accordance with manufacturers instructions and use....and this car has had its ECU opened, map modified, exhaust modified, suspension modified.....exactly what is left of the car that would be covered by a warranty please?
everything else, drive train, brakes, interior and lets be honest just cos you modify something doesnt automatically invalidate your warranty.

also you are presuming hte ECU has been opened as it could of been done via OBD

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #154
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
everything else, drive train, brakes, interior and lets be honest just cos you modify something doesnt automatically invalidate your warranty.

also you are presuming hte ECU has been opened as it could of been done via OBD
Unlikely since that's only been doable for a few months.
Appreciate 0