F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > 2014 Formula 1 Debut thread
ARMA SPEED

02-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #111
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Mercedes powered cars looking strong in Bahrain test. Red Bull struggled again today.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #112
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Check this out:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/02/mercedes-f1-360/
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #113
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here's a good summary of day4:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26293435

Last edited by 954Stealth; 02-22-2014 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #114
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Here's a good summary of day4:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26293435
Another poor day for Red Bull, only managed 15 laps. Red Bull better start getting their act together. I still don't doubt they will, but it is taking a lot longer than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #115
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Another poor day for Red Bull, only managed 15 laps. Red Bull better start getting their act together. I still don't doubt they will, but it is taking a lot longer than I thought.
I think its also general Renault problem. Most Renault powered teams have trouble to run reliably.
      02-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #116
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Webber must be grateful he decided to bow out when he did and I wonder what is going through DRic's mind lately. I'm starting to wonder if these reliability issues are going to seriously affect the rankings. Maybe Vettel will be happy for the double points that he recently said he didn't agree with...

Last edited by 954Stealth; 02-24-2014 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #117
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Yeah, Webber will be quite happy at Porsche.

It has to have an impact. Just four days of testing left.

On one hand you have Mercedes doing full race distance runs currently in testing. While Red Bull is still struggling with getting their car to last a single stint, let alone get up the pace of the other cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #118
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Webber must be grateful he decided to bow out when he did and I wonder what is going through DRic's mind lately. I'm starting to wonder if these reliability issues are going to seriously affect the rankings. Maybe Vettel will be happy for the double points that he recently said he didn't agree with...
Yeah, because Red Bull Racing is sitting on their laurels and have decided 4 back-to-back championships is enough. Right.

Last year they got off to a relatively slow start too, not really picking it up until mid-season. You think with their amount of talent and resources Vettel is the least bit concerned, or that Mark is thanking the heavens he's not racing for them anymore? LOL
It's not an ideal start to the year, but it'll certainly be overcome - without the need for any double-point BS.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #119
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Johanness, don't put words in my mouth especially if you're going to be pompous and priggish with your response.
Did I say RBR is resting on their laurels? No.
Did I say Vettel is concerned yet? No.
But I do think Webber is confident that he made the right decision at the right time. And if Newey can't get the renault engine to work they'll have to do some catching up later in the season but that's not unique to RBR.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #120
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth
Johanness, don't put words in my mouth especially if you're going to be pompous and priggish with your response.
Did I say RBR is resting on their laurels? No.
Did I say Vettel is concerned yet? No.
But I do think Webber is confident that he made the right decision at the right time. And if Newey can't get the renault engine to work they'll have to do some catching up later in the season but that's not unique to RBR.
Who's putting words in your mouth? I made a statement based off your assumptions above. Don't get butt-hurt when an opinion differs to your own. It's mine that neither Mark nor Vettel are phased by RBR's lack of early progress. If your sensitive self can't handle it, I suggest u GTFO of a public forum
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #121
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Who's putting words in your mouth? I made a statement based off your assumptions above. Don't get butt-hurt when an opinion differs to your own. It's mine that neither Mark nor Vettel are phased by RBR's lack of early progress. If your sensitive self can't handle it, I suggest u GTFO of a public forum
It isn't RBR that is lacking progress. It is the Renault powerplant. Honestly nothing really RBR can do about it. All the Renault powered teams are way way behind. Teams were at the mercy of their engine builders going into this season.

Already rumors of RBR switching engines for next year.(A little premature...most likely)

This season is going to be like no other. Never have there been such dramatic changes to the cars from one season to another. The cars are so complicated this year, mostly having to do with the engines and ERS. With no in season testing, this is the last year to get behind. But if there is any team that can get through it, it would be RBR. When the engine problems get sorted, I have no doubt Newey's car will be very quick.

This season is going to be dramatic.

Last edited by hellrotm; 02-24-2014 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:02 AM   #122
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol alright whatever, man. Who's "butthurt" now? You want me off a forum because I commented on your assumptions? Anyway I'm not going to get sucked in this. We will just have to agree to disagree. Let's not ruin the thread for everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #123
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, because Red Bull Racing is sitting on their laurels and have decided 4 back-to-back championships is enough. Right.

Last year they got off to a relatively slow start too, not really picking it up until mid-season. You think with their amount of talent and resources Vettel is the least bit concerned, or that Mark is thanking the heavens he's not racing for them anymore? LOL
It's not an ideal start to the year, but it'll certainly be overcome - without the need for any double-point BS.
Never rule out RBR. Even if they can't win championship, they will definitely put up a fight throughout the season!

And I believe Mark Webber would prefer to take the challenges in F1 if he wants.
      02-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #124
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
It isn't RBR that is lacking progress. It is the Renault powerplant. Honestly nothing really RBR can do about it. All the Renault powered teams are way way behind. Teams were at the mercy of their engine builders going into this season.

Already rumors of RBR switching engines for next year.(A little premature...most likely)

This season is going to be like no other. Never have there been such dramatic changes to the cars from one season to another. The cars are so complicated this year, mostly having to do with the engines and ERS. With no in season testing, this is the last year to get behind. But if there is any team that can get through it, it would be RBR. When the engine problems get sorted, I have no doubt Newey's car will be very quick.

This season is going to be dramatic.
Dr. Helmut Marko did stated RBR will have a long term relationship with Renault.
However, either Ted Kravis or Croft stated their contract do have a performance clause condition. So we will see if Renault power units are extremely under-performing.

Guess what, while everyone was waving their hands about smaller V6 in F1 several months ago. This is the most exciting Winter Testing I've seen for the past several years. I'm sure I'll be enjoying this season a lot!!!

Stealth and johanness, let the fighting begin....haha...j/k~
      02-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #125
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Can't wait to see what happens in Australia. Should make for a very interesting race.

Both Renault and RBR seem to be the cause of RBR's current problems. Renault's power unit seems to be having issues with heating and reliability and RBR seems to have designed their chasis to aggressively and not allowing enough airflow to the cooling units. Lotus seems to be pretty strong given last week was their first test session.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #126
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I'll add that its been reported that Renault were not allowing the full range engine map to be used at the recent test...reducing power by some 100bhp. After they lock the engine performance on 28 feb, Renault will have to ask for an exemption to make further enhancements.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #127
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Christian Horner declared Mercedes the new favorites for 2014 a couple of days ago

Marussia just had a computer virus. Booth said it was Trojan malware and their fear is not being ready for season start

This certainly has been an interesting pre-season

Last edited by 954Stealth; 02-25-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #128
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I'll add that its been reported that Renault were not allowing the full range engine map to be used at the recent test...reducing power by some 100bhp. After they lock the engine performance on 28 feb, Renault will have to ask for an exemption to make further enhancements.
Yeah I remember hearing that. During the last four days of testing Renault had reduced engine power to 80%, just to get the cars reliable enough to run.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #129
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
shit!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #130
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Final four days of pre season testing has started.

Day 1 Red Bull had troubles once again.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #131
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

iiinteresting

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #132
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

I've always followed F1 from a distance (quite far lately actually) but have been getting quite into it this offseason, so excuse my ignorance, but is it normal for teams to seem so unprepared 3 weeks from the first race ? With three days left in final testing it looks like some of these teams have no idea what they're doing ! Or is it business as usual and it's normal for teams to be at this level of preparation and three weeks is plenty of time to sort things out ?

Last edited by 2blu; 02-27-2014 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0