F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Discussion: F30s will hold their value over time
GetBMWParts

02-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #45
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
This is the correct answer. It takes all the fun out of a car when you "save it for the next guy". Just take excellent care of your car so it looks and performs as new or better everytime you go to drive it, not beccause you want it to hold value to eventually sell to someone else, but because you enjoy doing so and enjoy the ownership experience.
Absolutely.

One thing I really admire about collectors like Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfeld is the fact they actively drive everything in their collections as often as they can. A while ago I was listening to Jerry talk on a podcast about how he beats on even his more rare cars and even takes them to a track because they are cars and that is exactly what you should do; drive them and enjoy them to their fullest.
      02-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #46
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
This is the correct answer. It takes all the fun out of a car when you "save it for the next guy". Just take excellent care of your car so it looks and performs as new or better everytime you go to drive it, not beccause you want it to hold value to eventually sell to someone else, but because you enjoy doing so and enjoy the ownership experience.
Exactly. Although I don't think that was the OP's intention (rather, more of a curiosity), I think it is misguided to buy a (heavily) depreciating item and then worry about preserving its value for sale rather than enjoying it thoroughly for what it was built for. It is best to write it off the day you buy it, and when you are ready to sell, be happy with market value, because it is certainly not an appreciating asset.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 11:11 AM   #47
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 Saphire Black/Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Interesting. I see exactly one BMW wagon, of any form, in my area and it's a F31 in a neighborhood near mine. Seeing it is like spotting a unicorn. I used to see an E46 wagon occasionally, but haven't in a couple years. Other generations of 3 or 5 series wagons are non-existant. I've never seen one on a dealer lot, new or used.

The rarity of wagons here in the midwest isn't just BMW's either. Volvo, Audi's, and Mercedes are non-existant too. At one point a couple years a go a guy showed up to a Cars and Coffee with an E63 AMG Wagon and the guy became an instant rock-start for the event. I doubt an alien space ship would have attracted more attention. I spotted a current gen V70 once...once.... a couple years ago and haven't seen one again.

Subaru is no better either. As popular as the Outback is in some parts of the US, you rarely ever see them around here and the few you do see are a generation or two old, nothing new.
When I got my F31 in mid 2016, there were four, yes four believe it or not in Wheaton, IL. I saw them (different colors) frequently at the local supermarkets and walking the dog on long walks. I think they were leases as all of them have disappeared. There are Volvo wagons around and a red Mercedes E class wagon a couple blocks away from me.

Yet I guess people won't miss wagons as they will go for SUVs. With BMW taking so much actual sport from their cars, the reason to have a BMW wagon with the great combo of sport and utility doesn't seem to matter much now. My E91 had a visceral feel that the F31 lacks.
      02-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #48
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danddd View Post
Yet I guess people won't miss wagons as they will go for SUVs. With BMW taking so much actual sport from their cars, the reason to have a BMW wagon with the great combo of sport and utility doesn't seem to matter much now. My E91 had a visceral feel that the F31 lacks.
I've never driven an E9x so I don't know that I'm missing anything.

If I could have ordered an F31 with the diesel or N55 and 6MT it would be sitting in my garage right now. If the G81 ever makes it over the ocean I'd have to reassess my opinion of automatic transmissions -- what I've read implies it will only be offered with the ZF8.
      02-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #49
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Who cares how much it'll be worth? Drive it and enjoy it the way you should.
      02-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #50
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

"trade in value" and "actual value" are two very different things

I'd say they go the way of most older BMWs, except for the highly regarded ones. Reasonably priced in private party sale but with the caveat of expensive parts and repairs. The more basic the model, the less chance for fancy stuff breaking.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:27 PM   #51
Jay_Dixit
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 audi a4b9

F30s are gems

I thought I would run by f30 into the ground probably at 200,000miles.... that was about 50,000miles ago only reduced mileage because of the lock downs.

Bought it for 7k in 2016 at 140,000miles

Never missed a beat in 7 years of ownership and in the uk it is the cheapest car to own way cheaper than even a prius.
The road tax is £20/year, on the motorway it easily still gives over 70mpg and although official figures say 7.6seconds 0-60 this one will easily do under 7seconds all day (friend videoed) no idea how.

Sport mode always puts a smile on my face still and still rear wheel drive with a proper handbrake.

Also cheap to insure in the uk and a very easy drive with excellent visibility so good for learners.

When people figure this out wouldn't be surprised if values start to shoot up
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:12 AM   #52
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

What are you defining as holding value over time? Like just depreciating less than anticipated when the car hits 10 years old, or when the car becomes 20 years old, people realized they missed an opportunity to own a great car and are now willing to pay 10k, 15k, 20k or more for a nice example on Bring a Trailer?

The latter will depend on the exclusivity of the car. Excluding M cars, for the E46 model, people will pay top dollar for the ZHP package cars, but that's also not to say that a regular M-Sport model will not fetch similar pricing. The lower you go in the model and the less options, the less they will get unless there is some outlier thing that causes the car to really have a lot of value (say being almost new).

Excluding M cars, for the E39 models, the 2003 M-Sport's are the one to have. Touring's are even more rare for that year/package. But that's not to say that non M 540, 530, or 528 sedan/touring won't fetch good money.

But for both examples above, it comes down to several factors.
  • Exclusivity - what makes that particular car unique?
  • Condition
  • Mileage
  • Transmission (depends)

So from the F3X standpoint, what makes it unique enough for an audience to want to pay premium money for it in the future? As someone who has driven a manual transmission all my life, my F30 is automatic and I couldn't be happier with it. Do I wish it was manual, I guess. But these transmissions have come so far from the shit boxes we got in every other BMW before the F3X. Not to mention, they are faster than a manual now.

While B58 will be 'king', N55 cars are no slouch too, but let's not put all the 4 cylinders down. N20/N26 cars will probably take the hardest hit from a reliability standpoint for the pre 2016 engines, but the B46 in the LCI 330i is no slouch either. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds? What? That's faster than anything you can get in an E46.

The value is going to come in the packages on the F3X and IMO the later run models as they tend to have the most improvements.
  • Well equipped touring's I believe will hold the most value.
  • Well equipped B58 cars will also hold the most value.
  • Well equipped 330's will come in next.
In the end, it will come down to what cars have what packages, and how many miles did the car travel over time, and whether your example stands out from the majority of cars that still happen to be on the road. That will dictate the value.

I think if you plan on holding on to any F3X long term for value, it better be an M Sport at a minimum and it better sit in a garage.

With all that said though, I wouldn't buy an F3X hoping it will be the next E46/E39/E38. Those are arguably the best BMW's built.
| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |

Last edited by shoman24v; 01-28-2022 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:59 PM   #53
Vishal50028
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competion RWD

I sold my 2014 335i msport and bought a new m4
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:44 AM   #54
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

I have confidence my low mileage - thp 340i, with an untouched engine will hold value decently. Wont be a collector car, but I think there will be a market for it. Either way, I plan to drive this car for a while. Averaging like 5-6k miles a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:51 AM   #55
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
There's one interesting aspect to this, the Active Hybrid series. I bought one of these this summer, and in its core, it's a 335i but with extra horse power from the hybrid battery. These are extremely rare cars. In total, only 5,105 AH3's were made for the entire world, with only 1,488 of those ending in USA.

My model is imported from USA to Finland with a perfectly clean VIN. This is no doubt the best car I've ever owned. I think there are 2 of these cars currently here in Finland.

The hybrid battery replacement in Europe is now very affordable. Replacement of the whole HV-battery is 2600 € including labor, whereas in the US it's still above $10K dollars.

Tune software is also fully compatible, like bootmod3 and xHP with maps made specifically for the AH models. These tunes bring burbles and other goods for the platform that were originally missing. Downpipes and other mods are also easily mirrored from a 335i. if it fits a 335i, it fits the AH3 in most cases. Horsepower can get close to 420-440 range.

You can follow the maintenance schedule of a 335i and you're good. I wouldn't be surprised if these cars end up holding their value. AH's are typically also fully equipped. Mine is only missing like 2 or 3 needless addons.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:54 AM   #56
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

You'll need to keep a f3x that you can't get elsewhere.
F31 because bmw stopped doing wagons here
328d no more diesels from bmw here
B58, Manual, with xDrive because otherwise you can do f8x instead

Everything else will depreciate just like the e9x did. But technically true, a run of the mill f3x would "hold" its value around the $3k spot.

Last edited by anotheran; 01-31-2022 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 12:40 PM   #57
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Buying a car with depreciation in mind sounds like a dismal way to end up with something dull.

I bought mine to drive. I pamper the hell out of it, but that's for my benefit, not the next guy.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 07:23 AM   #58
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi MT

some experience selling low mileage, rare MT sports sedans

The sedan I owned before my 2014 335Xi was a 2012 MT Acura TL 3.8 Liter 6 with torque vectoring AWD. It was extremely rare because most owners of this model wanted AT. It was an excellent, fast, smooth shifting "Honda." I got bored and after 5 years sold it - in one week to a guy who had to have this car in a MT. I bought it (list price 45k$) for under 35k$ and sold it 5 years later with only 18k miles for $18k. Do the math.
My 335 has all the bells and whistles (electronic suspension, M styling stuff) plus MT, plus Dinan stage 1, ER charge pipe, upgraded custom speakers, Michelin AS3+ all season (non-run flat), quicker clutch takeup (bumpstop), front strut bar. At 50 k miles, it is sort of low mileage. Somewhere out there will be a guy who wants such a setup and will pay extra for it. It will in any case sell quickly because it is rare. It's a comfortable quick sedan and my Porsche is the performance car in the family. I'll keep it until I get an electric car I suppose. By then all F30s will be quite inexpensive, but mine will be the most expensive of those (a 340 with these mods would of course be more desirable still).
Charlie
Appreciate 0