F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > No Start, drivetrain malfunction issue. help diagnosing
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #1
Fondry
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Stage 2+
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

No Start, drivetrain malfunction issue. help diagnosing

I have a 2013 335xi. The car has a bootmod stage 2+. It has been running excellent until out of nowhere a few days ago as I tried to get onto there interstate and hit the accelerator the car it had no power, shaking as it was accelerating etc.

I limped my way to work and now the car won't start with a "drivetrain malfunction" error message on my screen. The car will continue to turn over easily if I try to start it but won't catch.

I ran my codes and came up with:

133E10 Valvetronic system disabled. More common to h verstellfehler

113026 relay ignition and injectors. Supply voltage injection. Short circuit to ground

119404 rail pressure sensor signal: fixed lying

I've tried to search the forums for each one as well as Google. They are all fairly non-descript and haven't lead me anywhere to start my diagnostics.

The nearest BMW dealer is over 2 hrs away from my rural town and I do have fairly extensive mechanical skills but I am struggling to find the first step to go with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've so far:

Replaced the IVM, replaced the battery. I have new coils that just arrived (waiting on my plugs) I'm afraid it might be the DME was fried, but unsure how to test for that (just basing that off of reading my search results). Fuel pump does prime itself.

I have BM3, Bimmercode, and bimmer-tool for diagnostics
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
2814
Rep
5,477
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Can you install ISTA? You might need a more in depth diagnostic tool.

Did you check the connections to the DME? If you are running stage 2+ i assume you have a HPFP and at some point have messed with those connections?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #3
Fondry
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Stage 2+
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Can you install ISTA? You might need a more in depth diagnostic tool.

Did you check the connections to the DME? If you are running stage 2+ i assume you have a HPFP and at some point have messed with those connections?
I will look into installing the ISTA software. I'm assuming it's a pretty straight forward install on my laptop.

I unfortunately was not the owner who had the car tuned, so I'm not 100% sure what was done to the engine. I'm pretty much trouble shooting blind and trying to eliminate one thing at a time. I will check the connections at the DME ( I need to go out and locate it, most of the videos and pictures I've seen for the location of the DME is not where mine is) I was an E46 guy for a long time so I'm very familiar with those engines, but I'm very new to the f30 world.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
Phantom10R
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
527
Rep
1,806
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i, 2015 X3 x35i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chelsea, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Can you install ISTA? You might need a more in depth diagnostic tool.

Did you check the connections to the DME? If you are running stage 2+ i assume you have a HPFP and at some point have messed with those connections?
I seen that too about 2+.. my guess is he's pwg and just stage 2... add the fact that he doesn't know if it had an upgraded hpfp, I'm gonna say no.
__________________
2015 335i xDrive 11.37@121.9mph w/bm3 ots map
2015 X3 x35i pwg 12.96 catless w/bm3 stage 2 93 ots

IG: @N55David For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #5
Phantom10R
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
527
Rep
1,806
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i, 2015 X3 x35i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chelsea, MI

iTrader: (0)

fondry, fyi.. bm3 stage 2+ requires an ewg car with an upgraded hpfp and either race gas or e30+.

definitely check all the wiring though for issues but you may have a valvetronic issue that will need further diagnostic
__________________
2015 335i xDrive 11.37@121.9mph w/bm3 ots map
2015 X3 x35i pwg 12.96 catless w/bm3 stage 2 93 ots

IG: @N55David For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #6
Fondry
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Stage 2+
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
fondry, fyi.. bm3 stage 2+ requires an ewg car with an upgraded hpfp and either race gas or e30+.

definitely check all the wiring though for issues but you may have a valvetronic issue that will need further diagnostic
You are correct. I was looking back at what the seller had said but it is just the stage 2 in my BM3.

Is there any way to check the Valvetronic system myself? I'd hate to trailer the car 2 hours to the closest bmw dealer.

Checking the wiring, anywhere specific I should be checking? The wires to the DME? I finally found it under the intake manifold. Is there any way to access the DME with the diagnostic tools to check if it's working properly?
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
Phantom10R
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
527
Rep
1,806
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i, 2015 X3 x35i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chelsea, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
fondry, fyi.. bm3 stage 2+ requires an ewg car with an upgraded hpfp and either race gas or e30+.

definitely check all the wiring though for issues but you may have a valvetronic issue that will need further diagnostic
You are correct. I was looking back at what the seller had said but it is just the stage 2 in my BM3.

Is there any way to check the Valvetronic system myself? I'd hate to trailer the car 2 hours to the closest bmw dealer.

Checking the wiring, anywhere specific I should be checking? The wires to the DME? I finally found it under the intake manifold. Is there any way to access the DME with the diagnostic tools to check if it's working properly?
I've never done it but I believe you can with insta.. I've never used it, so I don't know.
__________________
2015 335i xDrive 11.37@121.9mph w/bm3 ots map
2015 X3 x35i pwg 12.96 catless w/bm3 stage 2 93 ots

IG: @N55David For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 08:11 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
2814
Rep
5,477
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondry View Post
You are correct. I was looking back at what the seller had said but it is just the stage 2 in my BM3.

Is there any way to check the Valvetronic system myself? I'd hate to trailer the car 2 hours to the closest bmw dealer.

Checking the wiring, anywhere specific I should be checking? The wires to the DME? I finally found it under the intake manifold. Is there any way to access the DME with the diagnostic tools to check if it's working properly?
ISTA should lead you through specific diagnostic steps, i.e., what the dealer would do. That's really the purpose of the software, far more than just "reading codes".
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #9
Fondry
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Stage 2+
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
ISTA should lead you through specific diagnostic steps, i.e., what the dealer would do. That's really the purpose of the software, far more than just "reading codes".
Is there a specific and trusted place to download ISTA? I'm assuming I'm looking for ISTA+?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #10
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
zole2112's Avatar
137
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Appleton, WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondry View Post
Is there a specific and trusted place to download ISTA? I'm assuming I'm looking for ISTA+?
Have you seen this thread?
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/b.../#post-9893663

I have a '13 335 xdrive with pwg, what I've found is that there are a lot of issues that will give a drivetrain malfunction. I have gotten that when the demand for fuel exceeds the capability of my HPFP but you should get a fuel pressure code. The last time I had drivetrain malfunction was when I ran too high of an ethanol content so my HPFP couldn't keep up with demand. Previous to that I replaced my HPFP but I did have codes related to fuel pressure.

When my HPFP failed the first time my car died when i was driving about 25mph and I got a fuel pressure code, I changed out my stage 2 LPFP thinking it was that and reinstalled my stock LPFP and then later my car died at higher speed accelerating and I got a fuel pressure code that pointed to the HPFP. After the car died it wouldn't start and after trying multiple times it did finally start. Since I changed my HPFP no issues.
__________________
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF

Last edited by zole2112; 11-12-2021 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #11
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
36
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: f32 n55
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Norwalk, CT

iTrader: (0)

Any update OP?
__________________
MHD Stage 2+ E20,xhp Stage 3
FBO FTP CP, CTS IC, VRSF Catted DP
MPE Axelback
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 09:18 PM   #12
Fondry
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Stage 2+
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112 View Post
Have you seen this thread?
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/b.../#post-9893663

I have a '13 335 xdrive with pwg, what I've found is that there are a lot of issues that will give a drivetrain malfunction. I have gotten that when the demand for fuel exceeds the capability of my HPFP but you should get a fuel pressure code. The last time I had drivetrain malfunction was when I ran too high of an ethanol content so my HPFP couldn't keep up with demand. Previous to that I replaced my HPFP but I did have codes related to fuel pressure.

When my HPFP failed the first time my car died when i was driving about 25mph and I got a fuel pressure code, I changed out my stage 2 LPFP thinking it was that and reinstalled my stock LPFP and then later my car died at higher speed accelerating and I got a fuel pressure code that pointed to the HPFP. After the car died it wouldn't start and after trying multiple times it did finally start. Since I changed my HPFP no issues.
Is there a way to test the HPFP to diagnose it? I've been throwing random replacement parts at my 335 with no changes
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #13
Fondry
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Stage 2+
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
Any update OP?
I wish. Unfortunately I was out of town for the past week so I lost a little time diagnosing. I'll be back on the grind starting tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:23 AM   #14
BMWILUVU
Major
510
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: 340ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Boibs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondry View Post
I wish. Unfortunately I was out of town for the past week so I lost a little time diagnosing. I'll be back on the grind starting tomorrow
Valvetronic, injectors, HPFP? Captain obvious but it looks electrical. Its less effort to first test all your related fuses and relays first and clear those components.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #15
Fondry
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Stage 2+
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Valvetronic, injectors, HPFP? Captain obvious but it looks electrical. Its less effort to first test all your related fuses and relays first and clear those components.
Agreed but either I'm completely stupid or it's hard to find. I can't find a good diagram for each of the fuse boxes to know which fuse goes to what. Is there a diagram somewhere that labels them all? And my car came without the pamphlet/diagram in the trunk from the previous owner
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 01:42 PM   #16
BMWILUVU
Major
510
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: 340ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Boibs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondry View Post
Agreed but either I'm completely stupid or it's hard to find. I can't find a good diagram for each of the fuse boxes to know which fuse goes to what. Is there a diagram somewhere that labels them all? And my car came without the pamphlet/diagram in the trunk from the previous owner
fuse-box.info/bmw/bmw-3-series-f30-f31-f34-2012-2018-fuses-and-relay
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 08:47 PM   #17
5w20
First Lieutenant
131
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: Bmw 435i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondry View Post
I wish. Unfortunately I was out of town for the past week so I lost a little time diagnosing. I'll be back on the grind starting tomorrow
Valvetronic, injectors, HPFP? Captain obvious but it looks electrical. Its less effort to first test all your related fuses and relays first and clear those components.
I am thinking the same thing. Electrical issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:17 PM   #18
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
zole2112's Avatar
137
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Appleton, WI

iTrader: (0)

Yeah,for sure check the fuse.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #19
Fondry
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Stage 2+
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Vermont

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
fuse-box.info/bmw/bmw-3-series-f30-f31-f34-2012-2018-fuses-and-relay
Thank you very much for this link.

Are there specific fuses I should be focusing on or just run though with my multimeter in the continuity setting and just check them all? I'm assuming the main one I should focus on is the engine bay passenger side one?

Also how can I check a relay to see if it's working properly?

Thanks so much!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #20
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
zole2112's Avatar
137
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Appleton, WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondry View Post
Thank you very much for this link.

Are there specific fuses I should be focusing on or just run though with my multimeter in the continuity setting and just check them all? I'm assuming the main one I should focus on is the engine bay passenger side one?

Also how can I check a relay to see if it's working properly?

Thanks so much!!
Check these fuses
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST