F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Ceramic coating wheels / rims
Studio RSR

09-26-2021, 10:05 PM   #1
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Ceramic coating wheels / rims

Can you actually ceramic coating rims? How’s the result? Will it require less maintenance? Will water repel more with the coating?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #2
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
yes you can ceramic coat your wheels and yes it will make your wheels easier to clean and it will have the same affect as it does on your paint so water will bead up on them.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Agree.

I've coated several sets of wheels on my cars using what was left over from coating my vehicles. It does make them much easier to clean.
      09-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

Yes you can now depending on the brakes you have the longevity can be a issue. I have the m sport brake pack and it generates alot of dust so. I tend to clean more often than most so I get about a summer season before I need a recoat i have only used car pro delux topped with a cermic spray but i may try delux topped with skin see if it gains me some more longevity.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
GCH
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

Sounds like the a good idea, the quality of the lacquer on BMW wheels is a little lacking in my opinion
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2021, 05:28 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Yes, you can! But please note there are ceramic coatings specifically for rims, as the temperature environment is very different there, so the product must be capable of enduring high temperatures.

I have ceramic coated both my sets + the calipers! Very happy with the result! Make sure you use a quality MF towel though, otherwise you will see stripes (did that mistake on my winter set, not a big deal, as you need to look closely to notice them, but annoying).
      11-15-2021, 07:58 AM   #7
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Yes, you can! But please note there are ceramic coatings specifically for rims, as the temperature environment is very different there, so the product must be capable of enduring high temperatures.

I have ceramic coated both my sets + the calipers! Very happy with the result! Make sure you use a quality MF towel though, otherwise you will see stripes (did that mistake on my winter set, not a big deal, as you need to look closely to notice them, but annoying).
what brand do you use for your wheel coating? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:23 AM   #8
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
While you didn't ask me specifically, I've used both CarPro CQuartz UK and CarPro CQuartz TiO2 on my wheels with great success despite neither being a designated wheel coating. UK is still on the market, but TiO2 has been replaced by their new SIC product which I've not yet tried.

Both coatings lasted more than two full seasons of use (I swap winter/summer sets).

I either use left over coating from when I've done one of my vehicles, or I'll buy one of the 10ml sample bottles from CarPro which are a perfect size if I'm only coating the wheels.
      11-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #9
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
While you didn't ask me specifically, I've used both CarPro CQuartz UK and CarPro CQuartz TiO2 on my wheels with great success despite neither being a designated wheel coating. UK is still on the market, but TiO2 has been replaced by their new SIC product which I've not yet tried.

Both coatings lasted more than two full seasons of use (I swap winter/summer sets).

I either use left over coating from when I've done one of my vehicles, or I'll buy one of the 10ml sample bottles from CarPro which are a perfect size if I'm only coating the wheels.
How much effort is it to do that coating? I have always just cleaned them well and did the spray on coatings and they last a month or so, but since I get a good cleaning in the same time frame except maybe the winter months, I usually don't have problems. But a better coating would be better. I have in the fall and winter I guess used some specialty wheel wax and coating and they also seem to work for the season at least.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
Quote:

what brand do you use for your wheel coating? thanks.
Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour

It is recommended by many as the more durable option amongst the wheel coatings.

Most of the work is to clean the wheels meticulously. Needless to say - you don't apply coating over dirt.
The application itself is easy, my only two recommendations - use a high quality MF cloth and gloves. Don't want that chemistry on your skin.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 11-16-2021 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2021, 08:00 AM   #11
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
How much effort is it to do that coating? I have always just cleaned them well and did the spray on coatings and they last a month or so, but since I get a good cleaning in the same time frame except maybe the winter months, I usually don't have problems. But a better coating would be better. I have in the fall and winter I guess used some specialty wheel wax and coating and they also seem to work for the season at least.
If you take the wheel off the car, it's really pretty easy no matter which coating you use. I keep my wheels really clean all the time, so my process is to simply pull the wheel, give it a good washing all over, wipe down the whole thing with a coating prep product like CarPro Eraser, and then apply the coating. I'll apply it to the barrel and the front faces of the wheels. You can do it while the wheel is on the car, but it will be more difficult to get around the faces, and I wouldn't even try to do the barrels.

Applying a coating like Skyhigh and I mention is different from a spray on/wipe off products which are really just durable sealants and not a high-solids coating. These coatings aren't hard to apply, but you have to understand and follow the application process to get good results. There are plenty of instructional videos available. You don't have to be brand specific since the same technique works for most coatings.
      11-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #12
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour 👌
It is recommended by many as the more durable option amongst the wheel coatings.
I've heard good things about this one. May need to try it one day.

Quote:
The application itself is easy, my only two recommendations - use a high quality MF cloth and gloves. Don't want that chemistry on your skin.
The gloves are good advice. I've coated my fingers a couple times when I got lazy and didn't use them.

Good ventilation is usually a good thing too as the solvents in these coatings can be quite strong. CarPro's coatings aren't too bad, but I recently coated my car using a product from a small brand I've never heard of (it was given to me to try out) and nearly gassed myself in my garage. Can't speak of GTechniq since I've never used them.
      11-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #13
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Good point about the ventilation, indeed!
I don't recall but I believe I even used a face-mask during the application. The smell is not that strong, I was doing it in a small utility room (with ventilation) but since I was getting really close to the rims to look from all angles for good coverage, it doesn't harm to wear a mask.

I have done waxing without gloves quite a few times (not very clever either), but figured coatings are yet another level of strong chemistry so better be safe than sorry.
      11-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #14
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
Can you actually ceramic coating rims? How’s the result? Will it require less maintenance? Will water repel more with the coating?

Thanks.
Photos show wheel cleaner and ceramic coating that work great. Makes it much more difficult for brake dust and dirt to stick.

Also, ditch the stock BMW brake pads with their sticky black dust. Hawk 5.0 pads have best bite and their dust is light in weight and color. Comes right off wheels!

Tip: If you are going to have tires mounted and balanced, do it before ceramic coating the wheels. Wheel weights adhere better if they are being applied on top of a fresh ceramic coat.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CajunBMW1288.50
      11-16-2021, 08:58 AM   #15
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Tip: If you are going to have tires mounted and balanced, do it before ceramic coating the wheels. Wheel weights adhere better if they are being applied on top of a fresh ceramic coat.
I would actually recommend the opposite. Rarely have I had the wheel weights placed in the exact same place after a new set of tires are mounted. I've also never had a wheel shop do anything more than just rip off the old weights. This means you've got a nasty, gooey patch left on the wheel from the old weights.

I wait until the new tires are mounted, and then do a proper, full cleaning of the wheel to include removal of any old weight adhesive and then coat a wheel I know won't be messed with by a tire shop for quite some time.

Most tire shops will hit the barrel of the wheel with a shot of some sort of solvent to clean the area below the weights before they stick them on. The last time I can remember a wheel weight coming off was over 15 years ago (maybe 20) when they still used the old-school weights that clamped on to the outside of the wheel.
      11-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #16
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Quote:
I would actually recommend the opposite. Rarely have I had the wheel weights placed in the exact same place after a new set of tires are mounted. I've also never had a wheel shop do anything more than just rip off the old weights. This means you've got a nasty, gooey patch left on the wheel from the old weights.

I wait until the new tires are mounted, and then do a proper, full cleaning of the wheel to include removal of any old weight adhesive and then coat a wheel I know won't be messed with by a tire shop for quite some time.

Most tire shops will hit the barrel of the wheel with a shot of some sort of solvent to clean the area below the weights before they stick them on. The last time I can remember a wheel weight coming off was over 15 years ago (maybe 20) when they still used the old-school weights that clamped on to the outside of the wheel.
How do you like to remove the goo from the old weights? I just got new tires and wanted to get the wheels and rims cleaned and ready for winter. After cleaning I will try to coat. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Your first line is that you recommend the opposite. Then you proceeded to say the same thing that I did, to have any new tires mounted and balanced first.

Tire weights have adhesive. They will stick better to a wheel that hasn't been freshly ceramic coated. Ceramic coating is designed to prevent things from sticking to it.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8225.00
      11-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Your first line is that you recommend the opposite. Then you proceeded to say the same thing that I did, to have any new tires mounted and balanced first.

Tire weights have adhesive. They will stick better to a wheel that hasn't been freshly ceramic coated. Ceramic coating is designed to prevent things from sticking to it.
Sorry... Reading it again I see we are saying the same thing. For some reason I miss-understood your post.
      11-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #19
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
How do you like to remove the goo from the old weights? I just got new tires and wanted to get the wheels and rims cleaned and ready for winter. After cleaning I will try to coat. Thanks for your help.
It isn't fun.

I'll take a plastic razorblade (yes, it is a thing) and scrape off as much of the surface material as possible. Then I'll use something like Stoner's Tarminator or Goo Gone (Goof Off works too if you can still find it), the plastic razor blade, and and old rag to remove what ever is left.

Many people I've talked to recommend 3M Adhesive Remover as a good choice too, but I already have the Stoner's on hand for tar and other messes.

Last edited by Desertnate; 11-16-2021 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
CajunBMW1288.50
      11-16-2021, 04:38 PM   #20
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It isn't fun.

I'll take a plastic razorblade (yes, it is a thing) and scrape off as much of the surface material as possible. Then I'll use something like Stoner's Tarminator or Goo Gone (Goof Off works too if you can still find it), the plastic razor blade, and and old rag to remove what ever is left.

Many people I've talked to recommend 3M Adhesive Remover as a good choice too, but I already have the Stoner's on hand for tar and other messes.
Sometimes temperature works better than solvents with various adhesives. Either a heat gun or cold. Some of the older underseat subwoofers are glued into their plastic underseat cabinets. Put the entire cabinet with the speaker in the freezer for an hour and you can work a plastic putty knife around the perimeter and pop the speaker out.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8225.00
      11-16-2021, 09:54 PM   #21
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I wouldn't try to put a wheel in the freezer, but a heat gun should soften the adhesive so that it can be easily removed with a putty knife.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 12:35 AM   #22
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I wouldn't try to put a wheel in the freezer, but a heat gun should soften the adhesive so that it can be easily removed with a putty knife.
I was thinking more about taping an ice pack to the spot. 😀
Appreciate 0