F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Check oil level
Studio RSR

12-23-2021, 06:29 AM   #1
Bembara031
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 318d

Check oil level

Greeting.
An interesting thing happened to me with my bmw f30, it wrote me a mistake to add 1l of oil. At home I waited 20min and checked the oil on the dipstick and the actual oil was at a minimum. I didn't add oil right away, but I waited until the morning and measured again, and the interesting oil was half dipstick. It is not very clear to me how it had a larger volume in the cold in the morning, by about 0.5l, since I know that the oil expands when it is warmer. Where it could have disappeared and then returned that oil, because obviously the sensor was well shown error.
edit:
I forgot to say that inside is Castrol’s 5w40 oil, but I don’t know how important that is.
That's if someone can explain more professionally what's going on. Thank you

Last edited by Bembara031; 12-23-2021 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Good morning,
I am going from memory here, so bear with me:

Official BMW procedure recommends checking oil level when the engine oil is at operating temperature, but about 5 minutes after you shut off engine. That will give you factory official way. Make sure your car is parked on a level surface. Our dipstick being on one side of engine makes oil variability more dramatic when slopes are different (i.e. I can have it on minimum if car is facing downhill a little).

Now, once you leave the car overnight, the oil itself will contract in volume when it cools, but very minimally. However, much of the oil will come back into the oil sump from all over the engine. Of course, there are valves all over to ensure that some oil always remains in certain places, such as oil filter, but nothing is perfect. Some will leak out from there, some will come down from the camshafts. In other words, gravity will bring oil back down when it normally sits in many different higher sections of the engine. My car will do the same, oil level is always higher after it sits overnight. So use your first measurement and definitely add some oil to it.
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
Bembara031
Rep

Good morning. Thanks for quick response.
That's what I'm going to do then, I didn't know how it went officially for BMW vehicles. Since some write that it is better to measure in the cold, some better in the warm.
I will watch the next 500-1000km now to see what happens.
It's a little strange to me since 2000 km ago the oil was at its maximum and it doesn't smoke and the car is running normally....
bmw 318d 2013
260k km
dpf off
changed chain, water pump, crankshaft pulley and everything that goes with it
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

You already have the right answer up there. Always check the oil in the same method and conditions.

Verify the crankcase ventilation valve diaphragm and clean the sealing areas in there under the cap to reduce oil loss.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
Eaglesview
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 28d

Just a theory. On my 2015 N47 the dip stick seems to have an o-ring seal on the top. If the dip stick tube extends ioto the surface of the oil when the engine compartment cools down oil will be drawn up the tube. If the oil level was checked on only one pull of thr stick then you may get a false reading. Clean the stick and repeat.

Lot’s of “ifs” in this theory.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #6
Tommi_Mav
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx

Garage List
+1 what eugene89us said.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:46 AM   #7
Bembara031
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
You already have the right answer up there. Always check the oil in the same method and conditions.

Verify the crankcase ventilation valve diaphragm and clean the sealing areas in there under the cap to reduce oil loss.

I checked the crankcase ventilation diaphragm and that “rubber seal” is terribly hard. I am now waiting for the new one to arrive, although I have already received the wrong, smaller orange twice and I need the bigger black one.

Mostly what's going on, he drinks almost 1 liter of oil per 1000 km now, I don't know if that's possible only because of the PCV valve.

The car normally smokes nothing and goes normally. What sometimes gets weird, about once every two weeks, and I may have noticed that when I drive higher in the city and stand idle, is that the car changes the sound, not from the engine but from the exhaust.

The car starts to sound like some kind of sports car, already at 2000rpm, farting an ugly sound. And after I stand idle, it smokes a little from the exhaust and stinks, somehow more whitish than blue.
I felt a little I would say the smell of oil in the cabin at that moment.

I have to mention that the dpf has been removed, so otherwise the car sounds a little louder, but nothing like driving a fart.

And now, I come home, park, turn off the car and tomorrow when I drive again in the coming days, everything is normal, without strange sounds.

Does anyone have an explanation?

Thank you.

Last edited by Bembara031; 02-03-2022 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 05:03 PM   #8
Bembara031
Rep

I changed the pcv valve but everything is the same....

The car normally smokes nothing and goes normally. What sometimes gets weird, about once every two weeks, and I may have noticed that when I drive higher in the city and stand idle, is that the car changes the sound, not from the engine but from the exhaust.

The car starts to sound like some kind of sports car, already at 2000rpm, farting an ugly sound. And after I stand idle, it smokes from the exhaust and stinks.

I have to mention that the dpf has been removed, so otherwise the car sounds a little louder, but nothing like driving a fart.

And now, I come home, park, turn off the car and tomorrow when I drive again in the coming days, everything is normal, without strange sounds.

Does anyone have an explanation or idea what's going on?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 09:59 AM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Has the DPF been completely removed, or just that the internals (the ceramic core) has been gutted ?

Has the ECU been coded accordingly ?

If the DPF has been gutted but the ECU has been left alone the ECU may be trying to regen a DPF which doesn't exist. Additional fuel will be injected into the DPF housing, which is now just a can, which will of course be prone to smoking / noise / smell.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 07:25 PM   #10
Bembara031
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Has the DPF been completely removed, or just that the internals (the ceramic core) has been gutted ?

Has the ECU been coded accordingly ?

If the DPF has been gutted but the ECU has been left alone the ECU may be trying to regen a DPF which doesn't exist. Additional fuel will be injected into the DPF housing, which is now just a can, which will of course be prone to smoking / noise / smell.
It is not software shut down and dpf is inside, everything is just taken out of it.
After changing the oil, the first 2-3 thousand km does not consume a drop of oil and then begins to swallow 0.6.-0.7 per 1000km. From what should I start checking?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 05:53 AM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bembara031 View Post
It is not software shut down and dpf is inside, everything is just taken out of it.
After changing the oil, the first 2-3 thousand km does not consume a drop of oil and then begins to swallow 0.6.-0.7 per 1000km. From what should I start checking?
If the DPF has been gutted but the ECU hasn't been remapped then it's likely you're going to experience problems - the ECU will be periodically running a DPF regen based upon the calculated soot levels (soot levels are calculated according to mileage and fuel consumption - nothing is actually measured), injecting more fuel into the DPF housing and leading to noise and smell (unburnt diesel).

Gutting the DPF will also lower the exhaust back-pressure, which is turn can lead to turbo seals not working as they should, which leads to oil leaks from the turbo.

If the DPF was gutted, without any other modifications being made, and no consideration was given to the consequences then the obvious question is "why ?".
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:42 PM   #12
Bembara031
Rep

Oh shit. My car mechanic didn't mention anything to me about it. I’ll call him right away on Monday to see if he turns off my regeneration.
I took everything out of the dpf because it got stuck and started showing a drive train error.
The consequence is I guess consuming oil.

It is not clear to me how after changing the oil, the first 2-3 thousand km does not consume a drop and then begins to swallow 0.6.-0.7 per thousand...and so the last 3-4 oil change intervals...5w30 twin power turbo

Turbine, piston rings or something else?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 02:44 PM   #13
GtSport
Rep
Drives: F87N & F30

Hi Bembara031

How did you solve it? I’m having a similar issue
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 05:16 AM   #14
TurboWeasel
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Sounds like his is just burning it if there are no leaks. The DPF will mask any oil burning smoke, but also clog it with ash at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
Good morning,
Make sure your car is parked on a level surface. Our dipstick being on one side of engine makes oil variability more dramatic when slopes are different (i.e. I can have it on minimum if car is facing downhill a little).
Exactly that. My driveway is a mild 10 degree or so slope and when I first got the car, it was parked nose down on the slope and it showed minimum on the dipstick, so I put a litre in. The next day I checked it at work on level ground and it was a litre over max

With the dipstick at the back of the engine, it doesn't take much of a slope to move a lot of oil away from it.
Appreciate 0