F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Catted ER DP installed today
GetBMWParts

01-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Catted ER DP installed today

So the ER high flow catted DP is finally on. I ended up having a local and well known shop put it on due to my lack of tools and experience. Don’t roast me on this but I also had new tank ventilation valve or purge valve...whatever it’s called , put on with DP. I tried to pull those vacuum hoses off but I know I would of probably broke those squeeze clips.

Anyhow it was a total of $250 labor both DP and valve install....I figure that’s a decent price considering my car is Xdrive which is a little more work involving I guess.

I went from an OEM downpipe of 900 cells to the high flow cat with 200 cells. I get home and back into my small garage and I have to say that you could smell the gas no doubt more than with OEM downpipe. I figure that makes sense with only a 200 cell cat? It’s a smallish garage so.....inside the car with windows rolled up I didn’t smell any gas but I have to drive around more. I don’t expect any smell with windows up either at idle or driving around. I’ll try the windows down at idle and while driving for a total assessment.

There is defiantly a rawer rumble at start up and at idle and when getting on it. All the exhaust behind downpipe is stock. The only thing I did was a dummy plug ( which I was able to do myself lol ) to keep both valves open. I forgot to ask if he used a pipe expander...I’m assuming he did. He test drove car at warm and at cold to I guess check for any rattles and such. And no CEL yet.

Just a curiosity.....and I’m sure these guys did a proper job as they are known for quality of work but how can you tell if DP is leaking either off of the turbo or off of mid pipe connection?

Last edited by CrimsonMoonLight72; 01-26-2022 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:25 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

If there was a leak, you will easily smell it. If you notice a fuel smell inside the car, you have a leak.

It's normal to notice the fuel smell in a small garage, but it should be gone once you are outside

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 12:23 PM   #3
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
If there was a leak, you will easily smell it. If you notice a fuel smell inside the car, you have a leak.

It's normal to notice the fuel smell in a small garage, but it should be gone once you are outside
Yep +1. My car started smelling like fuel inside the cabin about a year ago. I installed the DP about 4.5 years ago, so I guess it got loose somehow. Shop used some penetration fluid and tightened my entire exhaust up and no more fuel smell. You'd know OP lol.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1