F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Here's what happens at BMW vehicle processing centers, specifically Oxnard
GetBMWParts

01-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #1
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Here's what happens at BMW vehicle processing centers, specifically Oxnard

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Many of you may know this already but with vehicles arriving at various ports i thought i would include this info.

This is specific to the Oxnard Vehicle Distribution Center at Port Huenme, Ca, USA, but process wise i would think it is similar at other major BMW processing centers.

The Oxnard Distribution center is the primary west coast distribution center for BMWs, in 2009 the management and operation was outsourced from BMW to Amports. The capacity seems to be from 400 to 500 cars a day for processing.

Before the ship docks, a harbor pilot is transported to the ship and entrusted with mooring the large roll-on/roll-off auto transporter within the port. Next, local longshoremen are tasked with driving the vehicles off the vessel and into a preliminary parking area on the docks.

After the vehicles are checked for damage, part-time workers drive them one mile to the Oxnard distribution center where they ‘re washed, de-waxed and hooked to computers that download electronics into them.

A big part of this operation is the damage assessent, and where determination of responsibility for repair costs is made (shipper or?). There is a full body and paint shop at the distribution center that can do extensive repairs to BMW's specs. If damage exceeds 3 % of the cars value, the dealer must be notified. (note: this is dated info so dunno if that is still the percent used, I also don't know if the dealer is required to pass this on to a buyer....I would always ask a dealer if your specific car has received repairs at the distribution center...if in excess of 3 percent they would have been notified.)

It’s not exactly unusual for a vehicle to receive damage in one form or another during transport. The BMW VDC is quipped with a full—and quite expansive—body shop and paint facility, extensive repairs can be carried out onsite. From full panel or bumper replacement to a respray of a scuffed area or entire panel.

BMW seems concerned about tire/wheel damage relative to a potential safety risk, as a result suspected damage means the tire and rim removed, the tire is cut up and rims also cut up and destroyed so any employee etc cannot have access.

Cars arrive in transport mode with battery disconnection, at the center the cars are then downloaded with the relevant electronics. Among the final steps before departing the facility are the coding and programming.

Some, but not all, of their protective film and other materials are removed, the cars receive the real work . Vehicles are given a brief but thorough inspection, while things like manuals, miscellaneous documentation, and simple accessories such as first-aid kits are loaded in their appropriate places. The process obviously differs for special-order cars, which have their so-called “port- installed” options fitted here. Things like splitters, carbon-fiber bits, and various other offerings of the BMW M Performance catalog are also installed, in addition to vinyl graphics and smaller additions like door-edge protection film.

And then finally the cars get loaded on to transport haulers to arrive at your dealer, and then to the patiently (?) awaiting individual that ordered it, or perhaps the car just lounges in the dealers lot/showroom.
Appreciate 35
BigKutta3870.50
gp_solo2190.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
wk240i46.50
Jason40312.00
Entropy89196.00
chicagofan0018923.00
Xtabi1696.00
nerdogray1274.00
Neptune71416.00
Mani5913308.50
claykin1579.00
Surgx572.50
Bumpinjeep5363.50
paquet629.50
kayt69569.50
ct335i119.50
lab_rat394.50
Llarry14491.00
      01-11-2022, 02:17 AM   #2
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

That's pretty interesting. It would be cool if they documented in a video.
Appreciate 4
      01-11-2022, 08:04 AM   #3
drpie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240iX on 02/09/2022

Garage List
2022 M240iX  [0.00]
Find it hard to believe they are shipped with the battery disconnected; never have seen this in any of the videos I've seen of cars rolling on and off the carrier ship.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #4
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpie View Post
Find it hard to believe they are shipped with the battery disconnected; never have seen this in any of the videos I've seen of cars rolling on and off the carrier ship.
Good point, i was wondering about that as well. To clarify, i hate to be a purveyor of misinformation, that info was not from first hand experience rather it was copied from an article on the Oxnard facility. It may not be correct. I suspect that the writer may have gotten it mixed up with the "transport mode" that often is used from factory for shipping.

Quote:
transport mode is:

- vehicle is limited to max-speed or max rpm (depending on manufacturer)
- spacers in suspension (or transport mode for air suspension)
- electric consumers are disabled (navi, radio, seat heater, remote control, interior lighting etc.)
- fluids on minimum (oil, cooling water etc.)

enable/disable only by on-board diagnostic system
The writer of the article i used for my original post may have confused the disabling of certain electronics with a battery disconnect...the disable is to keep battery drain to a minimum in case of long shipping/storage times. Parasitic drain on some of these cars can be substantial.

Also i am not sure if the recoding to turn off transport mode is done at a vehicle processing center or at the dealer during PDI. I have heard of it being done at dealer PDI.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:33 PM   #5
John Casey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i, 16 320i

Thanks for the summary danallxt.

I remember seeing photos of the VDC from several years ago when the Los Angeles Chapter of the BMWCCA toured the facility. Here are a couple of links to some of those photos (not sure if a video exists).

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207104

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-center.html

For those of you not familiar with SoCal...if you happen to go to Port Hueneme be sure to let a local say the name first before you try and pronounce it.

Last edited by John Casey; 01-11-2022 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 6
e36uulm92.50
vj1233784.00
Chas8283351.50
      01-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #6
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Mustang GT Vert 5-speed

Photos are awesome.. other than the E46 vehicles the other BMWs look dated to me from these photos in 2004... already 17 years ago

'08 Mustang GT Vert w/5 speed manual
Past:325ci, 330ci (my favorite) & 2018 230i; '79 Vette (owned 13 yrs.)
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2022, 11:55 PM   #7
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

I'm surprised by so many cars needing repairs after transport. Anyone know what percentage of cars need fixing?
Appreciate 2
yanks1484.00
      01-13-2022, 07:34 PM   #8
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
You'd be surprised how many cars go directly from the end of the line to repair within the plant and most factories before ever leaving or going through shipping.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2022, 08:50 AM   #9
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
Thanks for the summary danallxt.

I remember seeing photos of the VDC from several years ago when the Los Angeles Chapter of the BMWCCA toured the facility. Here are a couple of links to some of those photos (not sure if a video exists).

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207104

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-center.html

For those of you not familiar with SoCal...if you happen to go to Port Hueneme be sure to let a local say the name first before you try and pronounce it.
“Why-knee-me”
Appreciate 1
HeadDoc25.00
      01-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #10
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

The article should be updated to include how BMW addresses the stop sales.

FYI I had stage II tune during my last ED for a F83, including catless dp installed. Car passed the VDC inspection.
      01-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #11
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Thanks for sharing.

Would be very interested in hearing what the process looks like today with all the various stop sales being out in place.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #12
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Many of you may know this already but with vehicles arriving at various ports i thought i would include this info.

This is specific to the Oxnard Vehicle Distribution Center at Port Huenme, Ca, USA, but process wise i would think it is similar at other major BMW processing centers.

The Oxnard Distribution center is the primary west coast distribution center for BMWs, in 2009 the management and operation was outsourced from BMW to Amports. The capacity seems to be from 400 to 500 cars a day for processing.

Before the ship docks, a harbor pilot is transported to the ship and entrusted with mooring the large roll-on/roll-off auto transporter within the port. Next, local longshoremen are tasked with driving the vehicles off the vessel and into a preliminary parking area on the docks.

After the vehicles are checked for damage, part-time workers drive them one mile to the Oxnard distribution center where they ‘re washed, de-waxed and hooked to computers that download electronics into them.

A big part of this operation is the damage assessent, and where determination of responsibility for repair costs is made (shipper or?). There is a full body and paint shop at the distribution center that can do extensive repairs to BMW's specs. If damage exceeds 3 % of the cars value, the dealer must be notified. (note: this is dated info so dunno if that is still the percent used, I also don't know if the dealer is required to pass this on to a buyer....I would always ask a dealer if your specific car has received repairs at the distribution center...if in excess of 3 percent they would have been notified.)

It’s not exactly unusual for a vehicle to receive damage in one form or another during transport. The BMW VDC is quipped with a full—and quite expansive—body shop and paint facility, extensive repairs can be carried out onsite. From full panel or bumper replacement to a respray of a scuffed area or entire panel.

BMW seems concerned about tire/wheel damage relative to a potential safety risk, as a result suspected damage means the tire and rim removed, the tire is cut up and rims also cut up and destroyed so any employee etc cannot have access.

Cars arrive in transport mode with battery disconnection, at the center the cars are then downloaded with the relevant electronics. Among the final steps before departing the facility are the coding and programming.

Some, but not all, of their protective film and other materials are removed, the cars receive the real work . Vehicles are given a brief but thorough inspection, while things like manuals, miscellaneous documentation, and simple accessories such as first-aid kits are loaded in their appropriate places. The process obviously differs for special-order cars, which have their so-called “port- installed” options fitted here. Things like splitters, carbon-fiber bits, and various other offerings of the BMW M Performance catalog are also installed, in addition to vinyl graphics and smaller additions like door-edge protection film.

And then finally the cars get loaded on to transport haulers to arrive at your dealer, and then to the patiently (?) awaiting individual that ordered it, or perhaps the car just lounges in the dealers lot/showroom.
Great info! Can confirm 3% is still the value used, and actually in my case bmw said they CAN'T sell me the car since it had more than 3% of the value if value if car in repairs needed. My first car is still at port, they deleted all the VIA options and it's been there since late November (recall was done mid November then I was notified id have to process a new order)
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #13
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
This is awesome, thanks for the insight! Coincidentally my M4 Comp has been at the VDC in Oxnard for a week now waiting on some port installed options and some kind of amplifier issue (RAM related?). So I've been thinking about the VDC all week!!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #15
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

I stopped reading at "electronics downloaded".
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:08 AM   #16
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Great write-up! The local CCA chapter organized a tour of the VDC not too long ago and I was fortunate enough to attend. Hoping another opportunity comes up soon.

The cars all come from Germany fully assembled for the most part, so most port-installed components will be replacing a part that was previously installed on the car. The latter gets destroyed on the spot. We watched a tech swap out the stock kidney grills for the blacked out ones and they smashed the old ones right after the new ones were installed.

If I recall correctly from the tour, BMW also stopped using the cosmoline wax on the cars a few years back. There are some videos of cars being offloaded and driven that mile down the road from the port staging area:

01-14-2022, 10:24 AM   #17
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

**edit** oops I see someone already mentioned the tour

Some of the SoCal BCCA chapters do tours of the Oxnard facility on occasion. Went with my Son a few years back - hundreds of members showed up and we were served lunch after taking a walking tour of the entire facility. A very enjoyable and interesting a couple hours

Highly recommend that anyone jumps at the chance should the opportunity come up again

Most interesting for me was the "port installed options" just a couple bays of cars with parts getting slapped on them (from stickers to aero etc...)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #18
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Quote:
Great write-up! The local CCA chapter organized a tour of the VDC not too long ago and I was fortunate enough to attend. Hoping another opportunity comes up soon.

The cars all come from Germany fully assembled for the most part, so most port-installed components will be replacing a part that was previously installed on the car. The latter gets destroyed on the spot. We watched a tech swap out the stock kidney grills for the blacked out ones and they smashed the old ones right after the new ones were installed.

If I recall correctly from the tour, BMW also stopped using the cosmoline wax on the cars a few years back. There are some videos of cars being offloaded and driven that mile down the road from the port staging area:

Same thing happens with ALPINA - items from the base car get destroyed if you upgrade it with an ALPINA option. I was gutted when I found out.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:51 AM   #19
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I think more damages occur during rail transport and NOT over seas vessel transport.

I have done European Delivery twice and no damage was sustained to my vehicles during the over seas shipping.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:30 AM   #20
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Here you go .

Inside BMW UK Thorne reception centre (they have now moved to a much bigger facility at Immingham). These pictures are 6 years old. Real pictures inside these places are notoriously hard to get; maybe the below is why. They can do PLENTY to a 'new' car damaged in transit. I'm not sure if the 3% rule is a thing here.

BMW Reception Centre, 2015 UK

Last edited by MD707; 01-14-2022 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 8
      01-14-2022, 12:53 PM   #21
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpie View Post
Have you never seen the option

S818A - Batteriehauptschalter - Battery master switch

This is taken out after delivery at dealer and as it says, it’s to quickly disconnect and connect the battery.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1246.50
      01-14-2022, 02:23 PM   #22
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
Have you never seen the option

S818A - Batteriehauptschalter - Battery master switch

This is taken out after delivery at dealer and as it says, it’s to quickly disconnect and connect the battery.
This is long time gone!

All cars are delivered in transport mode so only with basic functions. The battery is connected, however all ECU are in transport mode.
You can start the car but no Radio for example.

Cars these days have 60, 70 or more ECU's ... Not a good idea doing a hard reset. It's like pulling the plug from you desktop PC or Router...lol

Last edited by LOW4LYF; 01-14-2022 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0