F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d Acquisition
proTUNING Freaks

08-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #1
JC72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 430d Mspt

335d Acquisition

Hi

Please excuse the impromptu email, I’ve been lurking around these forums for the last few weeks. Thought it was time to say hello.

The joy of company car replacement in on me. A once every four year event that’s been building for months as I’ve been fine tuning the final running. This time around 335d is looking like a sure given favourite. Just need to do the last minute ‘sanity checks’ before the order goes in. Driving one might be a wise idea!? (interesting how many people on here have bought blind too) and still not 100% on the suspension. I do have the option to ‘opt out’ and the PCP deals do seem fantastic. I am edging towards fully company supported though, purely for hassle factor. There’s not much in it financially either way.

My motoring history is quite varied and I do have a couple of ‘toys’ to supplement the 335d, so it seems like the perfect choice. I’m currently in a F10 520d. Std SE on 17’s – which I ordered blind. Lovely car but personally find too big. The loaner 320d (luxury on SE suspension) I had whilst the 5 was in for work pushed me back to a 3. Previous to that was an IS250 (t’was ok) and back again was an E46 330d Msport. I caught the LCI 204 bhp upgrade and loved that car. Probably the best daily I’ve ever had.

I’ve scoured any history from any digital source (including these forums) I can find as part of the research. The suspension and x-drive still seems to be a great cause of debate (I agree a 435d looks daft with x-drive BTW) and am keen to experience for myself. The loaner hadn’t come back when I visited my dealer last week, managed to grab a drive in a D3 though and almost wish I hadn’t as it was stunning. Looking at the history of orders on here I think I’ll be the only std spec (aside from probably suspension) on here. Glacier with Coral, maybe 441’s. That’s it.

Final concerns?

Well - I’ve not driven one yet, so this could go all ‘Pete’ – the other two in the final three are still lingering in the back of my head. Golf-R or C300 Hybrid, if you play with the head, the C300 is a no brainer financially and not driven an R either. Jag have also done a good job on me, making me think it might be at least worth waiting a month to see what the XE has to offer too. Also have the 2015 LCI niggling away, but I suppose you have to jump in at some point, although you say on here there is now a supply problem anyway?

Anyhow – from one petrol head to all the others on here, hello. If you think I’ve missed anything, including alternative choices (!?!) – under 160 co2 up to about £40k ish – please do share your thoughts. Aside from that, I’d love to join the suspension / x-drive debate and share and experiences of the car in general.

Many Thanks

Jon
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

You not speccing xenons? A must personally.

Yes it's worth waiting, especially as there appears to be a bit of a wait for the 335 as it is.

So personally, if you are not in a huge rush then road test the others as mush as possible.

Also if you go purely company car route as opposed to opt out, can you still upgrade the suspension to the ACS one?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #3
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d g31 540i

If it comes down to a choice between xenons and adaptive suspension then id go for the xenons. Unless sharp handling is a major concern then the standard susp (IMO) is just fine. Having an f11 msport its actually a welcome change having the softer ride and overall smaller car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:00 AM   #4
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Welcome to the forum!

I bought blind in terms of 335d, but did drive tourers v saloons, xdrive v sdrive, and 330d v 328i v 320d. Even then, the 335d didn't drive exactly as I'd expected.

If coming from a 5 series then make sure you are happy with the reduced refinement compared to it- more road, wind and engine noise. Engine noise perhaps less of an issue as it's now a 6 cylinder engine rather than the 4cyl in your 520d.

I'd have liked a 5 series but my wife found it way too big.

It's well kitted as standard, but for me a luxury car like this these days really needs:

Xenons
Decent stereo
Sat Nav (no doubt someone will be along soon to tell me their Tom Tom is better!)
Heated seats

If you do like to go for a blast then adaptive suspension is a must too.

So I'd spec a nav package and the sport plus pack to get the HK stereo, xenons and bigger wheels. The dark glass and bigger brakes are then a bonus.

These are nice, but not vital:

Memory seats (if wife drives too)
HUD
Sunroof
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

I notice the golf r is an option so Under 160g CO2 up to 40ishk ? I have to ask why not the 335i ? It's 159g and I managed to get mine at under 40k after haggling.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:20 AM   #6
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

I looked at the R but they just were not offering any discounts in 2012 when I got a 328i. Also I just couldn't bring myself to spend £35k on a Golf.

I've ordered blind based on BMW don't often build a shitter and if they did, you'd soon hear about it, especially on here! I tried to get a test drive but there wasn't any readily available.

I've opted for prof nav this time; I have a tom tom but nav package comes with other goodies and, along with HUD, integrates way better than a third-party peripheral. Residuals are also better as a result.

Xenons are the other must - I came from a non-xenon car and whilst they light the road only slightly better, they LOOK so much better than the standard offering. Almost as though BMW made their standard lights shite to encourage taking xenons.

Have not gone for adaptive suspension - budget meant other priorities came first and after lots of reading on here came to the conclusion (gamble) it is a must for the enthusiast.

Last edited by zofinger; 08-04-2014 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #7
JC72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
You not speccing xenons? A must personally.

Yes it's worth waiting, especially as there appears to be a bit of a wait for the 335 as it is.

So personally, if you are not in a huge rush then road test the others as mush as possible.

Also if you go purely company car route as opposed to opt out, can you still upgrade the suspension to the ACS one?
It does worry me that I'll be in this for 4 years and would be gutted to miss the LCI my a few months. Saying that, I've got very itchy feet (to get out of the F10)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:51 AM   #8
JC72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwol View Post
If it comes down to a choice between xenons and adaptive suspension then id go for the xenons. Unless sharp handling is a major concern then the standard susp (IMO) is just fine. Having an f11 msport its actually a welcome change having the softer ride and overall smaller car.
if the suspension has a dynamic value (need to drive it) I'd take it all day long over xenons. I'm restricted on options as right up to CC budget. (company rules and all that)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:56 AM   #9
JC72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I bought blind in terms of 335d, but did drive tourers v saloons, xdrive v sdrive, and 330d v 328i v 320d. Even then, the 335d didn't drive exactly as I'd expected.

If coming from a 5 series then make sure you are happy with the reduced refinement compared to it- more road, wind and engine noise. Engine noise perhaps less of an issue as it's now a 6 cylinder engine rather than the 4cyl in your 520d.

I'd have liked a 5 series but my wife found it way too big.

It's well kitted as standard, but for me a luxury car like this these days really needs:

Xenons
Decent stereo
Sat Nav (no doubt someone will be along soon to tell me their Tom Tom is better!)
Heated seats

If you do like to go for a blast then adaptive suspension is a must too.

So I'd spec a nav package and the sport plus pack to get the HK stereo, xenons and bigger wheels. The dark glass and bigger brakes are then a bonus.

These are nice, but not vital:

Memory seats (if wife drives too)
HUD
Sunroof
Thanks for the warm welcome.

As I'm restricted (unless I opt out) on option due to budget - it will probabaly just be the AS tick box. My F10 was a pre LCI so is pretty basic. No Nav, HK, Heated seats. The only tick was 'Sport Seats' - just like your wife(!?) I find it too big. TBH it doesnt even ride that well............
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #10
JC72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
I notice the golf r is an option so Under 160g CO2 up to 40ishk ? I have to ask why not the 335i ? It's 159g and I managed to get mine at under 40k after haggling.
looked at the R - noit driven it yet, but the 'golf' thing put me off a bit.

I would (waits to be shot down) take petrol all day logn over the D (not my fuel) Co2 tho' mate..........

I make 335, 186cO2
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:29 AM   #11
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
Drive the Deal shows the 335i M Sport with pro nav at £32k, so even with the right options it should be mid 30s at most I would have thought. Certainly worth considering, particularly if the company pay for fuel...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Golf R Is The One.

You Dont Want The Fuel Of Satan.......

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:37 AM   #13
JC72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
I looked at the R but they just were not offering any discounts in 2012 when I got a 328i. Also I just couldn't bring myself to spend £35k on a Golf.

I've ordered blind based on BMW don't often build a shitter and if they did, you'd soon hear about it, especially on here! I tried to get a test drive but there wasn't any readily available.

I've opted for prof nav this time; I have a tom tom but nav package comes with other goodies and, along with HUD, integrates way better than a third-party peripheral. Residuals are also better as a result.

Xenons are the other must - I came from a non-xenon car and whilst they light the road only slightly better, they LOOK so much better than the standard offering. Almost as though BMW made their standard lights shite to encourage taking xenons.

Have not gone for adaptive suspension - budget meant other priorities came first and after lots of reading on here came to the conclusion (gamble) it is a must for the enthusiast.
The Golf is a fair bit cheaper on the company car scheme. Zero contibution (unlike the 335d) - I'm with you though, struggling with it still being a Golf.

Not really bothered about asthetics (big wheels / tints / xenons) once the shine has worn off, they all 3 Msports look pretty much the same. I even considered 'luxury' - same suspension. Ok you dont get the skirts, but I quite like the wheels and brown leather. For the ultimate Qcar - debadge it and it looks like a bogo 3.

My main criteria was "quick - <160co2"
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:40 AM   #14
JC72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Drive the Deal shows the 335i M Sport with pro nav at £32k, so even with the right options it should be mid 30s at most I would have thought. Certainly worth considering, particularly if the company pay for fuel...
I may be wrong but thought 335i (or M235 which I would have seriously considered) was >160
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:42 AM   #15
JC72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Golf R Is The One.

You Dont Want The Fuel Of Satan.......

but not a 328? I could get in a very nicely spec'd 428 c or CC. Not driven it but didn't seem fast enough on paper
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
JC72
Private First Class
Rep

Hi again…..

I’ve been struggling to get a serious test drive so far, but after a few emails to our leasing company, I’ve got a loaner coming on Thursday for 5 days. Strangely its luxury spec running 401 19’s but looks like std suspension.

Very excited about the extended test drive but have to say a little apprehensive based on some of the comments on here (handing/height etc etc) – tempted to go 430d Sdrive, (same money give or take) but guess the test will tell all!?!?

Cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #17
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

In your shoes....my choice would be 535d M Sport (530d if above budget) or 430d M Sport, in that order. My concerns would be the drop in refinement and interior standard going from 5 to 3. Plus there are massive discounts on the 5 right now putting them into a similar cost bracket as a 3 (when you factor in the extra kit as standard on the 5).

Good job you have the 3 demonstrator for a few days, refinement is often overlooked in a few hour test drive. Use it on some long journeys and it becomes more apparent.

If you haven't already, dismiss the E300, it is old inside now compared to the new C, and other than for CO2 (i.e. reduced BIK) reasons, is not really as good as an E250 or E350Cdi. E is as big as a 5.

Good luck test driving, let us know your views.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #18
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

If I was looking at another diesel (which I'm not or never will be) I'd go for the 330d as it has better suspension, it's lighter and it's s-drive, I've been booting my 435i around in the rain and I'm amazed at just how well it pulls away even though it's only RWD, as for the 428i not being fast enough I'd say give it a try, stick it in sport and it goes like a scalded rat
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:29 AM   #19
JC72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
In your shoes....my choice would be 535d M Sport (530d if above budget) or 430d M Sport, in that order. My concerns would be the drop in refinement and interior standard going from 5 to 3. Plus there are massive discounts on the 5 right now putting them into a similar cost bracket as a 3 (when you factor in the extra kit as standard on the 5).

Good job you have the 3 demonstrator for a few days, refinement is often overlooked in a few hour test drive. Use it on some long journeys and it becomes more apparent.

If you haven't already, dismiss the E300, it is old inside now compared to the new C, and other than for CO2 (i.e. reduced BIK) reasons, is not really as good as an E250 or E350Cdi. E is as big as a 5.

Good luck test driving, let us know your views.
I'm finding the f10 too big. I did consider the E and dismissed for all the reasons you mention. I did take a C out, drove lovely but got my heart set on getting back into a 6 cylinder even though the C300 hybrid would save me a wedge in BIK

Fingers crossed, hoping I'm gonna love the 335d. Off to 'carfest' that weekend so long trip down the m4 with a few a+bs either end, if it's 70% of the d3 I dove I'm home and dry.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 04:05 AM   #20
JC72
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Guys

Not sure what the etiquette is on resurrecting old posts, I (rudely) turned into a lurker again whilst continuing to enjoy the new car decision making process.

Thought I’d drop a line as I’m as of yesterday in the ‘how do distract myself for the next 12 weeks stage’…..

Enjoyed the 335d, proper fast but something just didn’t feel right. Not sure if it was the 19’s with no adaptive or more sinister as per the many x-drive debates on here. It sure did grip but never felt really settled like previous RWD F30’s I’d driven (even with SE suspension). Back to BMW group, wanted to try a 430d – they only had a convertible available, it too strangely seemed to have non adaptive and also on 19’s.

Wow, what a difference - even taking into account extra chop top weight and wobble, it felt much nicer than the 335d. Had it for a few days and really fell for it. 430d Coupe sold…nearly.

For a few months I continued to poke around a W205 Hybrid. None available to drive (none in the country yet apparently). I knew in my heart it wouldn’t drive like the F32 but, you can get in a £45k car fully loaded for half the tax of the 30d. Pesky Co2 BIK rates.

Finally I threw the towel in yesterday and ordered the below:

430d M-Sport
Glacier Silver
Coral
HK
441’s Ferric Grey. (they we’re a free option so ticked it!?)

As a company car lease, I wanted to keep the options low. HK was the only must, the coupes seems to have a few more bits as std over the saloon. Nav and H/T seats etc. I haven’t driven one on 18’s but aesthetics aside I’m presuming they can only help the ride, especially with passive suspension. I’ve not found passive M-sport too hard so consider it will give a more constant feel than adaptive as I have no desire to soften it. Pondered colours for an age. MG to dark for me, EB a bit to flash. Had to be Coral to brighten up the interior so felt Glacier was only way to go.

Concerns?

Will the Ferric Grey wheels look naff
Should I wait for the Lci?
What do I do for the next 12 weeks?

Cheers Jon
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #21
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Any consolation I've ordered a 335 blind as none were available for a test drive. Did get a drive in a 330d msport and did find that to be spot on. Then mithered about 330d xdrive and eventually upgraded to a 335d.

Hearing all the concerns and thinking adaptive had to be better anyway ticked the option box and then upgraded to acs springs.

Now just got to wait and wait .......
Appreciate 0