F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Just had a ride in an Evoque P300
Studio RSR

07-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Just had a ride in an Evoque P300

Brother in law came round in a new 19 plate Evoque P300 HSE, it’s a loaner as his 67 plate Evoque has broken down for the 4th time in 8000 miles and had to be taken in.

Got outside to it and it has a misted tail light and the rear view mirror is a camera that’s gone all fuzzy, not a good start for a 2800 mile car.

The tech still doesn’t feel as up to date as the German boys.

It’s just a bit meh and far more style over substance in my opinion, as for being near 300 bhp well it must’ve been dragging a parachute behind it.

It’ll sell like hot cakes
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      07-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Sounds like a normal LR ownership experience...
Appreciate 1
335dX430.00
      07-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Absolutely. They’ve always been shit, they’re shit now, and they’ll always be shit unfortunately.

I can remember starting work at a Land Rover dealership in 2011 and the dealer principle said to me: ‘people only buy a Land Rover so that when they’re talking to they’re mates in the pub, and the friends ask where’s your motor? They can say oh it’s at the dealers!!!’

and that goes for Jaguar now too....worked for them too and they’re also shit.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by .,. View Post
Quote:
Absolutely. They’ve always been shit, they’re shit now, and they’ll always be shit unfortunately.

I can remember starting work at a Land Rover dealership in 2011 and the dealer principle said to me: ‘people only buy a Land Rover so that when they’re talking to they’re mates in the pub, and the friends ask where’s your motor? They can say oh it’s at the dealers!!!’

We had a Freelander 2 where in 60,000 miles the only thing that went wrong was the ventilation was blowing hot air out of one vent when it should have been chilled for some reason. A software upgrade sorted it out.

We then had a 60 plate Jag XF which again, in about 60,000 miles only needed a software upgrade for strangely the same fault. Loved the XF. It was the 3.0d V6 which drove really nicely. Fast, smooth and handled very nicely.

Sounds like we were lucky.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Care to buy me a lottery ticket?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Here's a pic, nice looking in this spec but this one is around £50k so I'm told! No idea on monthlies.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

That does look really nice to be fair 👍
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I have to say, I couldn't disagree more. My RRS was flawless in reality and the dealer (ownership) experience was top top drawer.

I do feel that early releases are not well manufactured though. Seems this might be the case here with the new Evoque. Shame but I hope the owner gets it all sorted Bronchski. One good thing is you can really keep the PCP mileage low due to the loaners...
      07-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
We had a Freelander 2 where in 60,000 miles the only thing that went wrong was the ventilation was blowing hot air out of one vent when it should have been chilled for some reason. A software upgrade sorted it out.

We then had a 60 plate Jag XF which again, in about 60,000 miles only needed a software upgrade for strangely the same fault. Loved the XF. It was the 3.0d V6 which drove really nicely. Fast, smooth and handled very nicely.

My Dad had 2 Freelander 2’s and had barely any problems, he’s now got a Discovery Sport and has had loads of problems, including a new rear diff and 2 new heater matrix’s!

Freelander 2’s were from the Ford era (actually I think some early ones had BMW engines from the original Freelander), it’s since Tata ownership that things have gone tits up.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:46 PM   #10
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
My Dad had 2 Freelander 2’s and had barely any problems, he’s now got a Discovery Sport and has had loads of problems, including a new rear diff and 2 new heater matrix’s!

Freelander 2’s were from the Ford era (actually I think some early ones had BMW engines from the original Freelander), it’s since Tata ownership that things have gone tits up.
Conversely, I know 3 people with a Discovery Sport with zero problems!

Nice enough car, although I wouldn't buy one as I don't like the looks or engine choices.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:17 AM   #11
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

The only Land Rover I would have is a Defender
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:26 AM   #12
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
The only Land Rover I would have is a Defender
+1

I had one in my early twenties
It wasnt particularly reliable but my neighbour on the edge of Dartmoor used to fix it for a couple of pints
      07-17-2019, 03:42 AM   #13
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Here's a pic, nice looking in this spec but this one is around £50k so I'm told! No idea on monthlies.
Quite handsome...but for £50k list, there are loads of better drives for the price. Loads.
      07-17-2019, 03:52 AM   #14
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

Mate had a Freelander 2, he'd often get parts from Ford as they were a lot cheaper than getting them from LR. His was an 09 plate and he had a few issues split boost hose, knackered starter motor, numerous faulty wheel bearings. He chopped it in at 190k miles for a Disco Sport - for the prestige more than anything
      07-17-2019, 04:21 AM   #15
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Have a friend in the asbestos removal business who will only drive his ageing Discovery and he freely admits it's the most unreliable car he's ever owned. However he covers a lot of miles and swears that it's the only car he's ever driven that doesn't give him backache, so he's keeping it unless it dies completely or gets written off in which case he'd probably get another 2nd hand one. So, poor reliability doesn't stop some people.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #16
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:

We never had issues with Freelanders or Defenders, but of course a Freelander was never a Range Rover, it was a Land Rover....built for a different market.

Again XF’s were on a different platform to the current stuff, I was talking bout current XF and XE and F-Pace ... which are really shit!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #17
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:

We never had issues with Freelanders or Defenders, but of course a Freelander was never a Range Rover, it was a Land Rover....built for a different market.

Again XF's were on a different platform to the current stuff, I was talking bout current XF and XE and F-Pace ... which are really shit!
I've heard plenty of freelander horror stories first-hand. I think with all of them, if you get a bad one then you are in trouble. And there are a few more bad ones than the Germans, according to the likes of JDPower.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 03:20 AM   #18
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely. They've always been shit, they're shit now, and they'll always be shit unfortunately.

I can remember starting work at a Land Rover dealership in 2011 and the dealer principle said to me: 'people only buy a Land Rover so that when they're talking to they're mates in the pub, and the friends ask where's your motor? They can say oh it's at the dealers!!!'

and that goes for Jaguar now too....worked for them too and they're also shit.
Quote:
I have to say, I couldn't disagree more. My RRS was flawless in reality and the dealer (ownership) experience was top top drawer.

I do feel that early releases are not well manufactured though. Seems this might be the case here with the new Evoque. Shame but I hope the owner gets it all sorted Bronchski. One good thing is you can really keep the PCP mileage low due to the loaners...
How long did you own it for though Chris? You do have a reputation for swapping your cars rather often!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #19
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

I did the dealership circuit in Milton Keynes new car shopping for my dad, we hit every dealer in one day, he was looking at a mid size SUV/4x4.

In the Land Rover dealership they had a new Evoque, again £50k plus list price. The biggest shocker with it was the absolutely atrocious standard of the leather on the rear seats, it was badly creased and poorly stitched, I have honestly seen better rear seat leather on cars a quarter of the price. We both couldn't believe they would have it as an example in the showroom.

We both concluded that the new Q3 s-line was the best of the lot to replace his 2017 XC60 that he's bored of, the interior just seemed to be a fair bit ahead of what others were offering for the price point.
My dad decided not to buy in the end that day.......then days later went out on his own and bought another exact same XC60 base model but the new shape, go figure.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:18 AM   #20
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have to say I had a trip in a recent RR sport the other day and was quite underwhelmed. The satnav graphics were woeful and interior was far from a top of the line luxury 4x4 I was expecting. Maybe newer ones are better but not where my cash would be going.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2019, 01:52 AM   #21
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I have to say I had a trip in a recent RR sport the other day and was quite underwhelmed. The satnav graphics were woeful and interior was far from a top of the line luxury 4x4 I was expecting. Maybe newer ones are better but not where my cash would be going.
Agree on the tech/nav - iDrive is in a different league to the JLR system, as is MMI. Apart from JLR digital dash being better than BMW's.

Luxury wise, though, I thought the two RRS models that I drove (2018 HSE Dynamic/Autobiography) were similarly in a different league to the G05 X5 in luxury - and that was a well-specced extended merino one. The X5 was noisier mechanically, didn't ride as well and had some switches and plastics that were a little bit unbecoming.

Probably all comes down to different tastes/expectations, or spec.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0