F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Screaming sound coming from my car!
GetBMWParts

07-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
ottawa_f30
Rep
Drives: 2013 328x

Screaming sound coming from my car!

Hey guys, I currently own a 2013 328ix. It has 3 main modifications to the car
1.Catless dp
2.K and n filter
3.Bootmod stage 2

I put the dp on a few months ago with no problems at all. About 3 months ago this whining sound (can be heard over 3,000 rpm) has been driving me crazy. I took it to my mechanic where they said nothing was wrong. I took it to Bmw 2 weeks ago where they said the sound is coming from the dp and that nothing was wrong. I am losing no boost, no engine lights, no loss of power.

I don't think is is a normal occurrence on cars with a catless dp. The screening is worse when I code boot mod onto the car. When I drive at slower speed I can here the turbos spooling a lot louder, but when I gas it it just screams (like a little girl)

From what I have been hearing it should be the turbos, but I have a feeling it may be something else.

I will add vids below

If anyone has any idea what it could be please let me know! I am going crazy with this sound
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
ottawa_f30
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
You really shouldn't be running stage 2 without an upgraded FMIC and CP.

I wonder if you do indeed have a boost leak. They can be whiny / whistly.

Also... the drop in filter is definitely increasing turbo sound. Could be just that, by itself.

Have you scanned for codes?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
ottawa_f30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
You really shouldn't be running stage 2 without an upgraded FMIC and CP.

I wonder if you do indeed have a boost leak. They can be whiny / whistly.

Also... the drop in filter is definitely increasing turbo sound. Could be just that, by itself.

Have you scanned for codes?
I haven't run stage 2 for more than a few days at a time(during the winter). I had the problem before the tune so I want to make sure the car is stable before buying the intercooler and running stage 2 daily.

I changed the drop-in filter to stock to see if that was what's causing the problem. Nothing changed sound wise

Regarding a boost leak, there is no loss of power nor a slow spool from what I can feel. I have also used the boot mod tool for testing (no loss of boost from what I can see)

The check engine light is on due to the oxygen sensors. No other codes have appeared since
Appreciate 1
sspade2460.00
      07-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #5
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Hmmm. I hear what you're saying. There's only so many possibilities and it definitely sounds like its coming from engine air intake / turbo induction systems...

I wonder if you're stock diverter valve has taken a dump. They are largely made of plastic and known to fail under stock boost over time, let alone increased boost pressures.

The GFB DV+ would be a nice upgrade and reasonably priced at under $150 shipped. Might be worth a try.

Interested to hear if anyone else has any ideas.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 01:20 AM   #6
Craeftig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa_f30 View Post
Hey guys, I currently own a 2013 328ix. It has 3 main modifications to the car
1.Catless dp
2.K and n filter
3.Bootmod stage 2

I put the dp on a few months ago with no problems at all. About 3 months ago this whining sound (can be heard over 3,000 rpm) has been driving me crazy. I took it to my mechanic where they said nothing was wrong. I took it to Bmw 2 weeks ago where they said the sound is coming from the dp and that nothing was wrong. I am losing no boost, no engine lights, no loss of power.

I don't think is is a normal occurrence on cars with a catless dp. The screening is worse when I code boot mod onto the car. When I drive at slower speed I can here the turbos spooling a lot louder, but when I gas it it just screams (like a little girl)

From what I have been hearing it should be the turbos, but I have a feeling it may be something else.

I will add vids below

If anyone has any idea what it could be please let me know! I am going crazy with this sound
Sounds like ur stock DV took a dump, Time to replace that shit. doesn't sound like a boost leak to me.
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2019, 06:30 AM   #7
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Interesting sound... doesn't sound like a normal boost leak IMO. Could be the diverter valve as others have said.
      07-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Like others have said, sounds like diverter valve and you should be on stage 1 not 2. Also FYi, you only have one turbo.
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
ottawa_f30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46 View Post
Like others have said, sounds like diverter valve and you should be on stage 1 not 2. Also FYi, you only have one turbo.
Alright, I will check that out and see if that's the problem. I am not using stage 2 daily. The fmic will be ordered before stage 2 will be used. Also, The engine is an n20 (twin-scroll)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
ottawa_f30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Interesting sound... doesn't sound like a normal boost leak IMO. Could be the diverter valve as others have said.
Thank you! I will order a new one asap. Let's hope that is what the problem is. I am surprised after paying BMW $500 to look at the car they couldn't even diagnose it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #11
ottawa_f30
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm. I hear what you're saying. There's only so many possibilities and it definitely sounds like its coming from engine air intake / turbo induction systems...

I wonder if you're stock diverter valve has taken a dump. They are largely made of plastic and known to fail under stock boost over time, let alone increased boost pressures.

The GFB DV+ would be a nice upgrade and reasonably priced at under $150 shipped. Might be worth a try.

Done just got the exact one you recommended. I will keep the thread updated
Appreciate 1
sspade2460.00
      07-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:

Just a word to the wise... there are a lot of knockoff DV+ floating around.

Just trying to save you the trouble of dealing with it.

I hope you purchased from a reputable dealer. This is one part that you dont want to buy at discount. That likely means its fake. For example... you can find them for around $70 on eBay.

YouTube it and youll see what I mean. Also this forum outlines the issues people have had.

Can be harmful to turbo and will cause you to take the car apart twice.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301997.00
      07-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
Craeftig
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I hope you purchased from a reputable dealer. This is one part that you dont want to buy at discount. That likely means its fake. For example... you can find them for around $70 on eBay.

YouTube it and youll see what I mean. Also this forum outlines the issues people have had.

Bought mine straight from KieMotorsports. I'm pretty sure his company is very well known here, so I suggest OP buys from him.
Appreciate 1
sspade2460.00
      07-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #15
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craeftig View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bought mine straight from KieMotorsports. I'm pretty sure his company is very well known here, so I suggest OP buys from him.
You are correct. I got mine from Extreme Power House who is also a forum sponsor.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #16
Craeftig
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craeftig View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are correct. I got mine from Extreme Power House who is also a forum sponsor.
Yeah I bought my BM3 license & ER DP from extreme power. So I agree also.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #17
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Alright, I will check that out and see if that's the problem. I am not using stage 2 daily. The fmic will be ordered before stage 2 will be used. Also, The engine is an n20 (twin-scroll)
Yes, correct. It has a single turbo, that has twin scrolls.
Appreciate 0