F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Is it possible for me to put this f10 part in my f30?
ARMA SPEED

07-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Is it possible for me to put this f10 part in my f30?

So i have a 550i and a 340i id like to put the black part in my f30 but it wont fit ive taken the console apart and it is two different parts. as you can see here it does not line up properly. Im trying to lift the black face off but it wont budge. Neither will the chrome.
Attached Images

07-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Also one more thing it goes into all gears and the wire seems to fit just not the bottom bracket. why would they use two part numbers omg. I really want this done
      07-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Considering all the parts there which are black you'll need to be more specific.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Considering all the parts there which are black you'll need to be more specific.
Sorry about that. Very stressed. Chrome gear selector came from f30. Black glossy came from 550i. Trying to install glossy black into f30 and it wont fit whatsoever. Anyway to remove the glossy black trim cover and move it to the chrome one?
      07-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
All the wires seem to fit and function properly. I successfully converted the idrive knob with no issues to glossy black from the same 550 to f30
      07-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Ap27
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: 2015 420i msport Coupe

This video might help you

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap27 View Post
This video might help you

Got the video just before you sent. Feel so dumb. Thanks!!!!
      07-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

FWIW no need to buy a carbon selector etc., it all wrapable:

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrmdoom View Post
So i have a 550i and a 340i id like to put the black part in my f30 but it wont fit ive taken the console apart and it is two different parts. as you can see here it does not line up properly. Im trying to lift the black face off but it wont budge. Neither will the chrome.
The black you are talking about is ceramic.

Billfitz clueless thinking a wrap will feel like a ceramic piece.

I am well aware that the F10 shifter has a different footprint so the holes do not line up. Besides that, a F10 ECU will throw an error if Dealer connects up to ISTA+ to diagnose or trying to correct an error.

Yes you can remove the trim from the F10 and use it on your F30 shifter.

You must remove the gearshift faceplate and a screw is behind it that allows the trim to be removed.

Remove the trim from both and swap.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

I am well aware that the F10 shifter has a different footprint so the holes do not line up. Besides that, a F10 ECU will throw an error if Dealer connects up to ISTA+ to diagnose or trying to correct an error.

You must remove the gearshift faceplate and a screw is behind it that allows the trim to be removed.

I got it thank sm though
      07-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I got it thank sm though
Here are some pics
Attached Images

07-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I got it thank sm though
Here are some pics
Now all you need are the rest of the knobs which are far more complicated.

The most expensive of any of my mods for the size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I got it thank sm though
Here are some pics

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I got it thank sm though
Here are some pics

Ahhhhhh that volume knob and ac switches ;(
      07-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #14
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Billfitz Besides that, a F10 ECU will throw an error if Dealer connects up to ISTA+ to diagnose or trying to correct an error.

I have just the ceramic iDrive controller from a M6 in my M2 and I heard that it's known to throw an error, yet on my ISTA+ communication tree it's all green. :

Do you know the coding parameters to change it to the proper controller variant?

Also, how did you source the ceramic volume knob?

Thanx.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Billfitz Besides that, a F10 ECU will throw an error if Dealer connects up to ISTA+ to diagnose or trying to correct an error.

I have just the ceramic iDrive controller from a M6 in my M2 and I heard that it's known to throw an error, yet on my ISTA+ communication tree it's all green. :

Do you know the coding parameters to change it to the proper controller variant?

Thanx.
It depends on if your car was produced working on the older KCAN instead of KCAN2 when touch was integrated. Your M2 (you still owe me title to) is on the newer KCAN2 so probably not an issue.

Ceramic knobs sourced on eBay from F10/G30 complete control units.

Getting the ceramic knobs to fit and work properly involved a ton of custom time, work and experimentation (not to mention failures running up the costs for additional control heads) as the knobs are a different size and shape between the 2 models.

You will also note the right AC Knob is Max AC in the F3x/F8x and a duplicate of the AUTO left knob in the F10/G30.

Which explains why it's the highest dollar cost retrofit per size in my car.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
1QuikWS61615.50
      07-23-2019, 03:37 AM   #16
akru88
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:

How can you retrofit the g series steering wheel ?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akru88 View Post
Quote:

How can you retrofit the g series steering wheel ?
The one in the pic was pretty straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 01:51 AM   #18
akru88
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
The one in the pic was pretty straight forward.
its just plug and play ?

how much was it ?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:41 PM   #19
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanx.
It depends on if your car was produced working on the older KCAN instead of KCAN2 when touch was integrated. Your M2 (you still owe me title to) is on the newer KCAN2 so probably not an issue.

Getting the ceramic knobs to fit and work properly involved a ton of custom time, work and experimentation (not to mention failures running up the costs for additional control heads) as the knobs are a different size and shape between the 2 models.

You will also note the right AC Knob is Max AC in the F3x/F8x and a duplicate of the AUTO left knob in the F10/G30.

I guess I spoke too soon; my upgraded ceramic iDrive knob is throwing a error codes 801410 & 80141.

Sucks..

Any suggestions on properly coding it, I'm willing to pay for a remote session, as I don't have ISTA-P.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #20
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanx.

I guess I spoke to soon; my upgraded ceramic iDrive knob is throwing a error code 801410 & 80141.

Sucks..

Any suggestions on properly coding it, I'm willing to pay for a remote session, as I don't have ISTA-P.
It still works though, correct?
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      07-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #21
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanx.

I guess I spoke to soon; my upgraded ceramic iDrive knob is throwing a error code 801410 & 80141.

Sucks..

Yes, works 100% fine but my OCD is getting the best of me.

Should I leave it alone?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanx.

Sucks..

Yes, works 100% fine but my OCD is getting the best of me.

Should I leave it alone?
The ECU is not supposed to be in that car so no way of coding around it that I am aware of.

It's an error you will only see with ISTA or a code reader (no CEL).

Just ignore it as it's invisible to normal operation.

Also, be aware to keep your old controller and swap it back in prior to any Dealer Warranty work on the M2. Takes less than 5 minutes. Not that it will affect your warranty but ISTA will show the error, the Dealer will throw a fit thinking your controller is defective and your istep cannot be upgraded with it in place.

Too many sell their controller or 6WA which is needed for situations like this.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00