F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bosch MAF vs. OEM
proTUNING Freaks

06-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Bosch MAF vs. OEM

Hey guys, I have a N20 thats been dying on start up occasionally and idling a bit rough so I pulled my MAF about 2 weeks ago for a cleaning and re-installed. ran good for about a week and started back so I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and get a new MAF on the way.

My question is, is anyone running the Bosch MAF or know any nifty tricks to solve this issue? The Bosch is much cheaper than the OEM MAF and I figured it'd do the trick just fine but I wanted to see if anyone on here has a reason to buy the OEM MAF over it, Longevity and quality are important to me but if I'm not going to notice the difference between the 2 then there's no reason to spend an extra 150 bucks on the OEM one.
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
@youtube.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I wouldn't pay the BMW tax on something that they source anyway, quite likely from Bosch.
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I wouldn't pay the BMW tax on something that they source anyway, quite likely from Bosch.
Exactly! Just always second guessing myself lol.
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
Troy27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastActionJax View Post
Hey guys, I have a N20 thats been dying on start up occasionally and idling a bit rough so I pulled my MAF about 2 weeks ago for a cleaning and re-installed. ran good for about a week and started back so I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and get a new MAF on the way.

My question is, is anyone running the Bosch MAF or know any nifty tricks to solve this issue? The Bosch is much cheaper than the OEM MAF and I figured it'd do the trick just fine but I wanted to see if anyone on here has a reason to buy the OEM MAF over it, Longevity and quality are important to me but if I'm not going to notice the difference between the 2 then there's no reason to spend an extra 150 bucks on the OEM one.
Just cleaned my MAF the other day and it said Bosch on it. Works fine. Never changed it. Have 66k miles on the car
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy27 View Post
Just cleaned my MAF the other day and it said Bosch on it. Works fine. Never changed it. Have 66k miles on the car
Yeah I went ahead and ordered the Bosch, figured it never hurts to learn off others experience. Definitely not paying 350 bucks for a maf sensor lol. the Bosch was much much cheaper!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
Troy27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastActionJax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy27 View Post
Yeah I went ahead and ordered the Bosch, figured it never hurts to learn off others experience. Definitely not paying 350 bucks for a maf sensor lol. the Bosch was much much cheaper!
$350 is ridiculous. The OEM is probably Bosch and BMW branded.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I see you are running an K&N oiled filter. Have you tried putting back a stock paper filter and seeing if it lasts longer with a clean MAF sensor?

K&N oil will coat and damage MAF sensors over time.
      07-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I see you are running an K&N oiled filter. Have you tried putting back a stock paper filter and seeing if it lasts longer with a clean MAF sensor?

K&N oil will coat and damage MAF sensors over time.
I've actually put the stock filter back in, I get rich condition codes with the K&N filter but not with OEM filter, it's strange, even had halim over at PTF torn. I think they're false readings from the DME but having to clear the CEL all the time is enough for me to not run it lol.
Appreciate 0