F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > fuel smell when parked after LPFP replacement? Please help
ARMA SPEED

07-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

fuel smell when parked after LPFP replacement? Please help

I had my LPFP replaced today after it failed and left me stranded. Car had no fuel smells ever until now after I got it back, when the car was worked on it had about less than a quarter of a tank till empty and I filled it up all the way but now when I came home and parked the car there is a distinct fuel smell

not really sure what to make of it as its not strong in any particular spot
I was thinking maybe I over filled it?
No smell in the engine bay its mostly by the rear passenger seat where the fuel pump was located as well as the passenger rear wheel well.
No smell from the fuel filler area either.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
smallba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabiz View Post
I had my LPFP replaced today after it failed and left me stranded. Car had no fuel smells ever until now after I got it back, when the car was worked on it had about less than a quarter of a tank till empty and I filled it up all the way but now when I came home and parked the car there is a distinct fuel smell

not really sure what to make of it as its not strong in any particular spot
I was thinking maybe I over filled it?
No smell in the engine bay its mostly by the rear passenger seat where the fuel pump was located as well as the passenger rear wheel well.
No smell from the fuel filler area either.
Did you change it or did the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallba View Post
I had an independent shop take care of it. There isn't really a smell on the interior as much as it is on the exterior. Theres some sort of oily greasy residue on the tank itself under the car but no fuel drips or anything like that
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
smallba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabiz View Post
Quote:
I had an independent shop take care of it. There isn't really a smell on the interior as much as it is on the exterior. Theres some sort of oily greasy residue on the tank itself under the car but no fuel drips or anything like that
They could of simply spilled some when they removed it, and smell is liggering, or the o ring that sits in between the tank and LPFP is no good, or the pump ring isn't completely locked or seated. Take n back and have them check it out if the smell doesn't go away
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They could of simply spilled some when they removed it, and smell is liggering, or the o ring that sits in between the tank and LPFP is no good, or the pump ring isn't completely locked or seated. Take n back and have them check it out if the smell doesn't go away
OK so the car smell went away as I drove the car a bit more and the fuel had dropped right above half a tank,

Refilled my car yesterday and parked my car in my garage and the garage now once again smells like fuel,
Appreciate 0