F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Yet another CarPlay Question....
Extreme Powerhouse

01-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

Yet another CarPlay Question....

Hi all, and sorry for this, I'm sure its a subject thats been done to death.

We have a 67 plate 420D and an 18 plate X5, neither of which were specced with CarPlay when ordered.

Initially, it was of no interest, and when I went on the connected store, and saw the price for adding it, I decided not to bother.

Pretty sure it was available for purchase on the connected drive store for both cars when I looked.

Have since reconsidered, and definitely want it added to one of the cars, but its now no longer available on the connected drive store, probably to do with BMW now making it free for newer models.

Anyone know if we can add it? Is it now free if we can?

Or have they just removed it as an option for cars more than 2 years old, after having to cave in and make it free?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F36 440i

I still have the option to add CarPlay on my 2016 F36.

£265 - No Thanks.
Attached Images

01-11-2021, 04:15 AM   #3
Roo12
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 4 Series GC M Sport +

Mine is 2018 and says on the store that it is not available for my car

Had previously used an old iPod connected via usb socket which has given up the ghost so was interested in car play

Thought on a 68 plate this was possible
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:11 AM   #4
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC25 View Post
Hi all, and sorry for this, I'm sure its a subject thats been done to death.

We have a 67 plate 420D and an 18 plate X5, neither of which were specced with CarPlay when ordered.

Initially, it was of no interest, and when I went on the connected store, and saw the price for adding it, I decided not to bother.

Pretty sure it was available for purchase on the connected drive store for both cars when I looked.

Have since reconsidered, and definitely want it added to one of the cars, but its now no longer available on the connected drive store, probably to do with BMW now making it free for newer models.

Anyone know if we can add it? Is it now free if we can?

Or have they just removed it as an option for cars more than 2 years old, after having to cave in and make it free?

Thanks
It's only available for your car(s) if they come with Hotspot preparation & wireless charging. The car has to have the WiFi antenna installed, as CarPlay connects by WiFi & NOT bluetooth.
      01-11-2021, 05:12 AM   #5
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
It's only available for your car(s) if they come with Hotspot preparation & wireless charging. The car has to have the WiFi antenna installed, as CarPlay connects by WiFi & NOT bluetooth.
OK, that makes sense, so, getting someone to code it to the car is likely the only option then?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:20 AM   #6
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OK, that makes sense, so, getting someone to code it to the car is likely the only option then?
No. Doesn't matter if it's coded or not... It won't work unless you have a WiFi antenna installed also.
      01-11-2021, 05:22 AM   #7
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No. Doesn't matter if it's coded or not... It won't work unless you have a WiFi antenna installed also.
Appreciate that, what I meant was, even if I buy and install a wifi antenna, BMW's records will never know, so it'll still need coded to the car, as I'd still never be able to download and install from the connected drive store
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:30 AM   #8
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate that, what I meant was, even if I buy and install a wifi antenna, BMW's records will never know, so it'll still need coded to the car, as I'd still never be able to download and install from the connected drive store
Sorry, yes, that's correct

Mine came with lifetime CarPlay & I just can't get on with it. Much prefer the BMW interface & iDrive.
For streaming music (from an iPhone anyway), the bluetooth connection sounds no different & you can still access & select from your phones music library through the iDrive anyway.
Obviously that's just for music, but ETTO of course, I know a lot like to use Waze for example, which you do need CarPlay for....
      01-11-2021, 07:11 AM   #9
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Mine came with lifetime CarPlay & I just can't get on with it. Much prefer the BMW interface & iDrive.
Same here. Maybe it would be better if I didn't have the HUD, but you lose most of the good stuff from the HUD with CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #10
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 630i

theres a 3rd party solution that uses an fsc code to activate it , just means you would need to fit a wifi aerial behind the stereo which isnt to hard. its a lot cheaper than buying from connected drive store.

if your not in warranty worth it as ive done this on my own and because i mainly use spotify for music makes the whole setup much more easier
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:05 PM   #11
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Much thanks to Forum member Wibbles for some guidance on getting this done! Now have CarPlay installed in both cars, and placing the phone under the head unit, where I always stuck it anyway, it seems to work fine in both cars without a wifi antenna being installed.

Useful for being able to dictate replies to messages, Siri seems to be better at voice recognition than the Idrive system, and maybe in about 6 months time it'll be able to pull addresses out of my calendar for meetings if I ever escape from working from home!!
Appreciate 1
Wibbles444.50