F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > BC Coilovers
proTUNING Freaks

01-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
BC Coilovers

We've been doing some work on my son's MR2 Turbo. One of the jobs was to overhaul the suspension as it was still sat on original springs and shocks (so 30 years). No MOT issues with it but it was just tired (sitting around an inch lower, slow shocks and some squeeks, etc.). We wanted to keep the MR2 looking original within reason so no crazy wheels and drops etc whilst taking the opportunity to improve it where it makes sense. In the end we decided that for the money the best option was BC Coilovers and it just got me thinking that I'm not sure I've heard them mentioned on here. Suspect that that may be because they are more at the budget end of the market.

We finished the job this weekend and took it out for a drive and it was quite a transformation (as I guess you would expect). We went for their lightest springs as we didn't want it too much stiffer than stock and it is a perfect balance - we haven't even needed to alter the ride height and spring tension from factory as they were really well set for what we wanted - just tweaked the shocks. The car is now really in touch with the road and giving you loads of communication in the way modern heavy cars just don't seem to be able to achieve.

So really just wanted to say that I'm really impressed with the BC Coilovers quality, fitment and adjustability for a package that is in the £7-800 range. It is certainly all you need unless you are looking at track use in my view. That is certainly my experience as far as fitting them to an MR2 anyway!

That gives me an excuse to use this pic again - we've dropped it by about an inch since this Still can't get over how rapid it is for a 30 year old car - and that is coming from a 450hp M3

Ennoch2257.00
F30Andy1774.00
      01-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

A friend's son just got one and they're still lovely looking things. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road though. Like so many nineties sports cars they just seem to have all disappeared.

As for the BC's they're pretty good value. They ruined the ride and handling on my Impreza as they just couldn't cope with the roads I tend to be on with that car but the dampers are actually pretty well made and do suit some cars better than others. If you haven't already though, slather all the threads into the knuckles with lots of marine grease and spray the whole things liberally with Bilt Hamber Dynax UC to prevent them rusting which will prevent you adjusting them in future. You'll need to use panel wipe or similar to remove the wax from the threads if you want to lower it further and then reapply the wax after but it's worth it if the car's going to be driven in poor weather, especially over the winter.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

All the photos and threads that I've read in the main Suspension / Chassis / Brakes forum regarding BC seem to have conveyed dubious quality, problems, and lots of rust. On the cheaper models I see lots of, what appears to be, painted components rather than plated or stainless steel.

Personally I wouldn't touch them, but it's a bit late to offer you that advice !

The MR2 looks like it's in good nick I can't remember the last time I saw one on the roads (or anywhere else).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Bc seem to be religiously used in bmw performance magazine..but as you say..probably not for trackwork.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
We've been doing some work on my son's MR2 Turbo. One of the jobs was to overhaul the suspension as it was still sat on original springs and shocks (so 30 years). No MOT issues with it but it was just tired (sitting around an inch lower, slow shocks and some squeeks, etc.). We wanted to keep the MR2 looking original within reason so no crazy wheels and drops etc whilst taking the opportunity to improve it where it makes sense. In the end we decided that for the money the best option was BC Coilovers and it just got me thinking that I'm not sure I've heard them mentioned on here. Suspect that that may be because they are more at the budget end of the market.

We finished the job this weekend and took it out for a drive and it was quite a transformation (as I guess you would expect). We went for their lightest springs as we didn't want it too much stiffer than stock and it is a perfect balance - we haven't even needed to alter the ride height and spring tension from factory as they were really well set for what we wanted - just tweaked the shocks. The car is now really in touch with the road and giving you loads of communication in the way modern heavy cars just don't seem to be able to achieve.

So really just wanted to say that I'm really impressed with the BC Coilovers quality, fitment and adjustability for a package that is in the £7-800 range. It is certainly all you need unless you are looking at track use in my view. That is certainly my experience as far as fitting them to an MR2 anyway!

That gives me an excuse to use this pic again - we've dropped it by about an inch since this Still can't get over how rapid it is for a 30 year old car - and that is coming from a 450hp M3

Lovely car, a colleague had a normal one (GT) as a company car when I had a 318iS as my company car and we swapped one weekend when he wanted a 4 seater.... Have to say they looked stunning (his was bright red) and felt really special - and it was pretty quick.

I was still glad to get back in the 318iS though...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
All the photos and threads that I've read in the main Suspension / Chassis / Brakes forum regarding BC seem to have conveyed dubious quality, problems, and lots of rust. On the cheaper models I see lots of, what appears to be, painted components rather than plated or stainless steel.

Personally I wouldn't touch them, but it's a bit late to offer you that advice !

The MR2 looks like it's in good nick I can't remember the last time I saw one on the roads (or anywhere else).
The thing with any sub £1k coilover is that they're going to be prone to rust. I took mine off after four years and thanks to the wax and marine grease they still looked spot on and came apart easily for a clean up and re-grease for sale. The knuckles were also well powdercoated but again, the wax will have helped prevent corrosion setting in.

In that time on the car I had to replace two front top mount bearings and a rear damper insert as a stone got wedged in there somehow and gouged the steel damper shaft which caused it to blow all its fluid out. But as new top bearings are about £30 each and the strut bodies are less than £100 you can't complain. I always say they ruined my Impreza but they didn't really, they just took the edge off it on the really lumpy single track roads I love driving it on because they simply don't have enough travel. And that isn't the sort of road the average person fitting BC's will be driving on. However, as the MR2 has less strut travel anyway that is less of an issue anyway.

They're not as good as decent struts IMO, at least on an Impreza, but they're good enough for the money. That said I'm still much happier with Prodrive springs and Koni's now, but while they're better on the roads I like most they actually aren't as good on the smoother roads. On that terrain the BC's were actually pretty damn good.
Appreciate 0