F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
GetBMWParts

10-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #1167
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TePee View Post
Thanks kitster!

I´m a little bit careful with the retrofit as it´s a brandnew car…

One of my main points is this built-in combox and the SIM card. What happens with that if I install a new HU NBT?
As the new HU has a different SIM card, how does it match my car? Will Intelligent Emergeny Call (6AC) and Teleservices (6AE) still work? This is the factory equipment I have.

With service data I meant the maintenance intervals (oil change etc.). Are these normally stored in the Kombi and then transferred to HU (Entrynav or NBT) and its built-in combox? What happens if I have a new HU?

I´m still waiting for my emulator, but maybe I´ll already install NBT. It should work, but only navigation will be inactive (grey), right? Then I could also check FSC codes etc.
In the unlucky case there are no FSCs, I could still inject some from another car, if I can get some.., right?
What's the production date on your new car? If it's anything higher than 07/14, it should have a TCB and not a combox for HU_ENTRYNAV.

If that's the case, you should be able to just connect the green HSD cable from the TCB straight to the NBT and you will be able to retain the SOS functionality as long as write your VIN to the new NBT.

It's very unlikely that the NBT has no FSCs if it is a used unit. If it is a virgin NBT, you can always inject a set of repair codes from another car or you can use E-sys to download the codes from someone else's car.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #1168
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

Thanks Aritaurus. It's 9/15, so definately the new version you mean.
I'll check the green cable. But where can I find this TCB and how does it look like?

This means the TCB substitutes the formerly built-in combox as an external device and also contains the SIM card? If so, I'd get rid off the problems I feared as I'd not touch this part and just change the HU...?

If I'm not wrong with that, this way I shouldn't get any problems with SOS call and even Teleservices?

Last edited by TePee; 10-16-2015 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #1169
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Aritaurus. It's 9/15, so definately the new version you mean.
I'll check the green cable. But where can I find this TCB and how does it look like?

This means the TCB substitutes the formerly built-in combox as an external device and also contains the SIM card? If so, I'd get rid off the problems I feared as I'd not touch this part and just change the HU...?

If I'm not wrong with that, this way I shouldn't get any problems with SOS call and even Teleservices?
When you take out your HU_ENTRYNAV, there should be a green port then with a cable going into it. The TCB is located inside the trunk when you lift the carpet up which is the same location as where the combox would be. The TCB has the SIM card and it communicates to the head unit via the CAN lines and also the Green HSD USB Connection.

Correct - if you plug that in and code it correctly, you will be able to retain your SOS calling functionality. I cannot guarantee that it will work 100%.

I have swapped HU_ENTRY on a 2014 model with the ECall combox and even with that, the SOS button still works. I believe the combox has a direct connection to the emergency speaker underneath the steering wheel so it can technically still work without the head unit.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #1170
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was excited and took out my original HU Entrynav to check the connecting cables. As you can see there is the mentioned green cable (TCB?).

I try to identify. Please correct if I´m wrong.
Beginning from left:

black: FM 1 antenna cable
white: FM 2 antenna cable
blue: not used (probably USB2 for ground plate, which I don´t have)
green: TCB
white: USB1
purple: CID
brown: Bluetooth antenna

As you can see there is no GPS connector! Although the HU is called Entrynav, it is not possible to enable navigation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #1171
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Now I checked the connectors at NBT Evo. There is no green one for TCB! Only USB1 and USB2.

This means I can´t just swap my Entrynav with NBT Evo because I can´t connect my TCB!?
When I check normal NBT (no Evo), it has the green connector (TCB?). Does it mean I´d be better off to install NBT instead of NBT Evo?

Please have a look at NBT Evo connectors to see what I´m talking about:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #1172
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Me again

I've found out that Entrynav has TCB Basic connected via USB (as NBT too). But NBT Evo has a newer generation of TCB and this is not connected via USB but via Ethernet.

This why the third green USB connector is missing at NBT EVO. The Ethernet connector is the flat black square one (OABR) above the big main connector.

And this is my problem...

But I guess if don't connect the green TCB cable SOS call still would work. Telematics I plan anyway to try to deactivate officially
But of course it is not the best solution to leave a cable just not connected.

Last edited by TePee; 10-17-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #1173
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TePee
Me again

I've found out that Entrynav has TCB Basic connected via USB (as NBT too). But NBT Evo has a newer generation of TCB and this is not connected via USB but via Ethernet.

This why the third green USB connector is missing at NBT EVO. The Ethernet connector is the flat black square one (OABR) above the big main connector.

But I guess if don't connect the green TCB cable SOS call still would work. Telematics I plan anyway to try to deactivate officially
You bought EVO and not regular NBT?

NBT EVO uses ATM for telematics so the TCB won't be compatible. ATM uses Ethernet which is what the rectangular connection is for.

Also, NBT EVO doesn't use the GPS Arial port on the head unit ATM now has the GPS antenna. I believe you can get it to work while plugged into the head unit but it will require some coding.

If you had the older NBT, it would pretty much be plug and play with a little coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #1174
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TePee
Me again

I think you should just sell the EVO and get a regular NBT. You won't gain much on EVO if you can't use the telematic functions.

At least with NBT, you'll be able to maintain most if not all of your functionality and it will look completely OEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #1175
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Many thanks Aritaurus once again!

I don´t want to swap the TCB, thus I have 2 possibilities:

1. As you wrote the best would be to buy normal NBT, which should be plug&play. I´ve found out that the parts-number of the TCB my car has, is also used at earlier cars with normal NBT – according to parts catalog.

2. I could keep NBT Evo and just not connect TCB. The question is what will cause this? SOS will probably still work without HU in a limited way as it is connected to extra loudspeaker and micro too?
I also could deactivate TCB officially – just Teleservices or even SOS. Teleservices I don´t prefer anyway and all the Connected Drive stuff I don´t really need.

The best would be to swap TCB too and then enjoy full improvements of EVO. Due to some reasons it´s not allowed to me to swap TCB

Maybe someone with normal NBT is looking for EVO...?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #1176
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Many thanks Aritaurus once again!

I don´t want to swap the TCB, thus I have 2 possibilities:

1. As you wrote the best would be to buy normal NBT, which should be plug&play. I´ve found out that the parts-number of the TCB my car has, is also used at earlier cars with normal NBT – according to parts catalog.

2. I could keep NBT Evo and just not connect TCB. The question is what will cause this? SOS will probably still work without HU in a limited way as it is connected to extra loudspeaker and micro too?
I also could deactivate TCB officially – just Teleservices or even SOS. Teleservices I don´t prefer anyway and all the Connected Drive stuff I don´t really need.

The best would be to swap TCB too and then enjoy full improvements of EVO. Due to some reasons it´s not allowed to me to swap TCB

Maybe someone with normal NBT is looking for EVO...?
1. Yes, you won't have any issue using this provided that it is coded properly and everything is properly connected.

2. If you go with this option, you should at the very least be able to still press the SOS button in the case of an emergency but you will not be able to access the Teleservices Call function on the iDrive itself. Regardless, you will need to code the NBT2 to use the GPS Arial located on the head unit as opposed to the one from ATM.

I don't think you can swap TCB with an ATM. Even if you had access to one, it would have to come from a donor vehicle that has a valid BMW Assist subscription.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 07:05 AM   #1177
MartijnS
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Hey All,

I have followed this thread and decided to fit the NBT in my F20 builddate 06/2012 currently equipped with Radio Prof (HU_ENTRY with Combox) and expanded KOMBI. Although there is a lot of useful information in this thread, I still remain with a few questions because it's a F20.

1. As read the Combox must be disconnected after the retrofit and the USB, GPS and Bluetooth rewired to the NBT. The colors of the plugs however are different for the USB and GPS in the Combox then in the NBT. GPS Combox = Pink, USB Combox = black, GPS NBT = Blue, USB NBT = Beige. Do the different colors matter or will the plugs just fit into the different colored NBT entries? And will this installed GPS antenna work for the NBT or do I need an eBay one?

2. The MOST wires are now coming from the Combox to the unit. Is it correct they need to be disconnected completely because this is already a build-in feature from the NBT unit?

3. The GSM antenna is also connected to the Combox, does it has any function after installation of the NBT or does it has to be disconnected?

4. Currently I have the Emergency call option, will this, including connected drive (remote services etc.) from BMW, work on the NBT as before?

5. Do you advise to use FSC codes or the can filter with emulator to get the navigation, apps etc. working? And will it still be possible to update the car's/NBT software if I use an emulator.

I hope you guys can provide me with soms answers, that would be highly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #1178
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartijnS View Post
Hey All,

I have followed this thread and decided to fit the NBT in my F20 builddate 06/2012 currently equipped with Radio Prof (HU_ENTRY with Combox) and expanded KOMBI. Although there is a lot of useful information in this thread, I still remain with a few questions because it's a F20.

1. As read the Combox must be disconnected after the retrofit and the USB, GPS and Bluetooth rewired to the NBT. The colors of the plugs however are different for the USB and GPS in the Combox then in the NBT. GPS Combox = Pink, USB Combox = black, GPS NBT = Blue, USB NBT = Beige. Do the different colors matter or will the plugs just fit into the different colored NBT entries? And will this installed GPS antenna work for the NBT or do I need an eBay one?

2. The MOST wires are now coming from the Combox to the unit. Is it correct they need to be disconnected completely because this is already a build-in feature from the NBT unit?

3. The GSM antenna is also connected to the Combox, does it has any function after installation of the NBT or does it has to be disconnected?

4. Currently I have the Emergency call option, will this, including connected drive (remote services etc.) from BMW, work on the NBT as before?

5. Do you advise to use FSC codes or the can filter with emulator to get the navigation, apps etc. working? And will it still be possible to update the car's/NBT software if I use an emulator.

I hope you guys can provide me with soms answers, that would be highly appreciated!
Inline

You can pull the wires from the combox over to the NBT but it's easier to buy the spare cables off eBay, makes returning to original config a lot easier.

Disconnect all the wires from the combox and terminate the MOST loop using something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-AUDI-M...8AAOSwl8NVWD26

If you don't then the audio won't work as it's carried along the MOST. Also you'll need to move the MOST connectors from your original quadlok connector to the emulator.

Not sure, but I've had no issues with using my mobile inside the car.

Don't know.

When you get the NBT, most units I've seen have the donor FSC codes still on the unit. It's way cheaper and easier to use those codes with an emulator than buying them. It doesn't matter where you get the NBT from as the FSC codes will work with any map. Also ask your seller if the NBT has the 6NR (Apps) or if they know what the donor vin is, that way you can check on bmwvin.com.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #1179
MartijnS
Netherlands
Rep

Thank you for the answers kitster! Really appreciate it.

Anyone who can still provide me with an answer on the questions below?

1. Currently I have the Emergency call option, will this, including connected drive (remote services etc.) from BMW, work on the NBT as before?

2. The GSM antenna is also connected to the Combox, does it has any function after installation of the NBT or does it has to be disconnected?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #1180
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

First of all you don't need to remove the combox. You can FDL code the entries with Bluetooth and USB functions on combox. I have done this on two of the retrofits with CIC and Entry. If you scroll back on this thread there are instruction on how to FDL code out the Bluetooth and USB. Once you do so, your NBT Bluetooth will take over and wont conflict with combox.

On the entry with combox (ecall) we were able to trigger the Emergency call function using the menu or the SOS button, however if you re route the mic from combox to nbt, the other party won't be able to hear you, as the signal will need to go to combox. My advice is to get an aftermarket mic for NBT (for bluetooth calls/phone) and leave the OEM microphone connected to combox. This way you can retain ecall function using your combox.

I can maybe later lookup the fdl codes you need to remove on combox.

Quote:
Thank you for the answers kitster! Really appreciate it.

Anyone who can still provide me with an answer on the questions below?

1. Currently I have the Emergency call option, will this, including connected drive (remote services etc.) from BMW, work on the NBT as before?

2. The GSM antenna is also connected to the Combox, does it has any function after installation of the NBT or does it has to be disconnected?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #1181
MartijnS
Netherlands
Rep

vithy thank you for your answer. I will probably leave the Combox connected, so it will be more easy to return to the original configuration if needed.

I have ordered most of the parts now and expect them next week, but some additional may be needed. So if I understand it all right, I will need to do the following:

- Replace the unit, screen and iDrive controller.
- Place the can filter between the quadlock coming from the car and the unit connector.
- Disconnect the MOST connector from the Combox and terminate it with the terminator adapter. Remove the MOST connector from the original quadlock and replace it to the emulator quadlock entering the NBT.
- Connect the GPS antenna to the NBT (I've one connected to the Combox, but following this topic, do you guys advise to use the FAKRA GPS deliverd with the NBT?)
- Connect the Bluetooth. It's currently connected to the Combox, but as I understand I should leave that one installed and get for example this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-CIC-NB...-/251525655643
- Connect the USB (rewire or new cable) and shave it + turn 180 degrees to get it working.
- I will probably leave the AUX function alone. Did you guys rewire it or buy a new cable?

About the MIC's. I have two installed (left and right) and would like to keep using them and refrain from installing new ones. Is it possible to reassemble the MIC connectors in the roof with some extra wires and lead them direct to the quadlock? If this is possible I could still use them for the emergency call option in the Combox.

Finally, code. Can this be easily picked up by a newbie (found some tuts and stuff)? I am just starting with it and did order an ENET cable. I have an 06/2012 F20. Which version of E-SYS do you advise? Currently got 3.26.1 installed with PSdZ 56.4 (lite).

Thank you all for contributing to this great DIY!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #1182
MartijnS
Netherlands
Rep

Another question. Can I use the pink screen cable coming from my current HU to the radio professional or do I need a new one? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #1183
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartijnS
Another question. Can I use the pink screen cable coming from my current HU to the radio professional or do I need a new one? Thanks!
HU_ENTRY video cable is pink to pink. For the pronav you'll need pink to burgundy.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #1184
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

If you have two Mic's, just disconnect the left (driver side) one and connect to NBT. If i'm not mistaken, the right side/passenger side, should be going to combox, which should allow you to use the ecall function. I'm not really sure, how it's wired in Entry_HU. But you can play with this as you install.

Disconnect you current quadlock and check to see if you have wires on 17/22 (Mic1) and 18/19 (Mic2) connected. If you have Mic1 going into your Entry_HU, then you don't need to rewire anything, If not you might need to tap into quadlock to mic1.

Quote:
vithy thank you for your answer. I will probably leave the Combox connected, so it will be more easy to return to the original configuration if needed.

I have ordered most of the parts now and expect them next week, but some additional may be needed. So if I understand it all right, I will need to do the following:

- Replace the unit, screen and iDrive controller.
- Place the can filter between the quadlock coming from the car and the unit connector.
- Disconnect the MOST connector from the Combox and terminate it with the terminator adapter. Remove the MOST connector from the original quadlock and replace it to the emulator quadlock entering the NBT.
- Connect the GPS antenna to the NBT (I've one connected to the Combox, but following this topic, do you guys advise to use the FAKRA GPS deliverd with the NBT?)
- Connect the Bluetooth. It's currently connected to the Combox, but as I understand I should leave that one installed and get for example this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-CIC-NB...-/251525655643
- Connect the USB (rewire or new cable) and shave it + turn 180 degrees to get it working.
- I will probably leave the AUX function alone. Did you guys rewire it or buy a new cable?

About the MIC's. I have two installed (left and right) and would like to keep using them and refrain from installing new ones. Is it possible to reassemble the MIC connectors in the roof with some extra wires and lead them direct to the quadlock? If this is possible I could still use them for the emergency call option in the Combox.

Finally, code. Can this be easily picked up by a newbie (found some tuts and stuff)? I am just starting with it and did order an ENET cable. I have an 06/2012 F20. Which version of E-SYS do you advise? Currently got 3.26.1 installed with PSdZ 56.4 (lite).

Thank you all for contributing to this great DIY!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #1185
MartijnS
Netherlands
Rep

Thank you vithy and kitster! Will check it out tomorrow how those are routed. New cable ordered.

Another question about BMW apps (6NR). Currently I have 6NL connectivity (Extended bluetooth connectivity, usb etc. + telephone base plate in armrest) and no glovebox USB. If I shave and turn my current USB cable and connect it to the beige NBT port, will this also support Apps (6NR)?

Besides VO coding 6NR, do I need to change anything with regard to 6NL?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #1186
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

6NR requires you to have FSC codes on your NBT. Coding alone wont activate this. You have to make sure it's actually in yours.

Quote:
Thank you vithy and kitster! Will check it out tomorrow how those are routed. New cable ordered.

Another question about BMW apps (6NR). Currently I have 6NL connectivity (Extended bluetooth connectivity, usb etc. + telephone base plate in armrest) and no glovebox USB. If I shave and turn my current USB cable and connect it to the beige NBT port, will this also support Apps (6NR)?

Besides VO coding 6NR, do I need to change anything with regard to 6NL?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #1187
MartijnS
Netherlands
Rep

I currently have the can filter and will wait until the NBT arrives to see if the donor VIN supports apps.
But for coding purposes, what do I need to change besides adding 6NR? I currently have 6NL. Will this need to be changed or...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
6NR requires you to have FSC codes on your NBT. Coding alone wont activate this. You have to make sure it's actually in yours.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #1188
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

6NL to 6NS should be fine. Only add 6NR if you have APPS fsc, if not it will error out during coding.

Quote:
I currently have the can filter and will wait until the NBT arrives to see if the donor VIN supports apps.
But for coding purposes, what do I need to change besides adding 6NR? I currently have 6NL. Will this need to be changed or...?
Appreciate 0