F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Making the switch - again!
Studio RSR

08-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

Making the switch - again!

I've just pulled the trigger on a 2017 340 Xdrive.
Background info. I've owned two 3 series before, with my favourite a 2009 E90 335i. When the F30 was launched, I test drove it, and wasn't really impressed. It didn't seems to be much of an improvement over my existing E90, and the interior was ok, but not impressive, at least to my eyes. Eventually, November 2015, I made the switch to the new, at the time C450 AMG. There were stuff I didn't like about the Benz, but I was blown away by the interior, and that was probably what put me over the edge to get one. Now, after a year and 9 months, I'm going back to BMW, and here's why.

1)I still like most of the interior of the C450, but the minivan like steering column shifter has gotten on my nerves. I knew I didn't like it from the outset, but I hate it more everyday.
2) The V6 has enough power, but there is just something different about BMW's inline 6, I don't know exactly what it is, but I'm done with V6s
3) I always prefer the exterior of the 3 series with M sport, but it was the interior, and the curiosity to try something different that drove me to the Benz, after a few months, I realize just how boring the Benz really is
4) The Benz is a competent entry level luxury car, but it is very boring, and everyday I see a 340 with M sport, I cringe

There are other little stuff I don't like about the Benz, but too numerous to list.
So I'm trading the Benz for a 340 Xdrive with MPPSK. I was planning to wait on the G20, but decided to pull the trigger now, but I chose to do a 24 months lease, so I will be able to seamlessly switch to the G20 if I like it. I'll update this thread with photos and impressions next week when I take delivery
Appreciate 3
rlmesq1038.50
spuntyb4060.50
Speed-NYC138.00
      08-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Thanks for sharing the thoughts.

I recently considered a C43 AMG coupe when my lease was up, but wound up getting a 2018 440i with MSPPK.

The dealer didn't have a C43 for me to drive, so I just got a chance to drive a 4 cylinder C300 coupe, but I really didn't find the interior so impressive. It looks nice at first glance, but the materials seemed cheap after even a short drive. The faux woodgrain in the one I drove looked really cheesy against the BMW interior, even with the BMW faux woodgrain.

My wife was really hoping I'd like the Benz. She has a C300 sedan and loves it, but after the test drive she agreed that the BMW is the better car all around.

She recently got an X1 as a loaner while her MB was in the shop. (The local dealer sells both BMW and MB.) She absolutely loved it, so we may have two BMWs in the garage soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Thanks for sharing the thoughts.

I recently considered a C43 AMG coupe when my lease was up, but wound up getting a 2018 440i with MSPPK.

The dealer didn't have a C43 for me to drive, so I just got a chance to drive a 4 cylinder C300 coupe, but I really didn't find the interior so impressive. It looks nice at first glance, but the materials seemed cheap after even a short drive. The faux woodgrain in the one I drove looked really cheesy against the BMW interior, even with the BMW faux woodgrain.

My wife was really hoping I'd like the Benz. She has a C300 sedan and loves it, but after the test drive she agreed that the BMW is the better car all around.

She recently got an X1 as a loaner while her MB was in the shop. (The local dealer sells both BMW and MB.) She absolutely loved it, so we may have two BMWs in the garage soon.
How long now have u been driving the 440? What's your impression of the exhaust sound? The C450 exhaust does pop and bang on the overruns, but u have to be in sports mode and searching for it. Otherwise, it's a little droney and unimpressive
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
How long now have u been driving the 440? What's your impression of the exhaust sound? The C450 exhaust does pop and bang on the overruns, but u have to be in sports mode and searching for it. Otherwise, it's a little droney and unimpressive
The MPPSK definitely makes a difference. Mine was a port installed accessory, so I can't actually compare it to the car without, so I'm basing my opinion on the 435i I previously had.

Most popping happens on closed throttle. As before, it's pretty quiet in Comfort mode, even more so in Eco Pro, but it still has a nice little growl when you floor it in those modes.

The additional power is definitely there in sport mode. If the sport display gauges on the nav screen are accurate, I'm getting torque and HP increases greater than the ones listed in promo material for the kit.

The tin-can flap clatter is still there on startup and idle. It kind of drives me nuts, so I have to convince myself that it's a relative of the sound a Ducati's dry clutch makes.

The JB4 people make a controller for the flaps that plugs into the OBDII port. It may be my next purchase.

http://www.burgertuning.com/f_series...odule_BMW.html
Appreciate 2
335er17.50
autopal197.50
      08-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Welcome back! I almost went with a C450 AMG last year as well, but the interior wasn't enough to consider it over the 340i M Sport. That column shifter was a giant red flag for me.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #7
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
The MPPSK definitely makes a difference. Mine was a port installed accessory, so I can't actually compare it to the car without, so I'm basing my opinion on the 435i I previously had.

Most popping happens on closed throttle. As before, it's pretty quiet in Comfort mode, even more so in Eco Pro, but it still has a nice little growl when you floor it in those modes.

The additional power is definitely there in sport mode. If the sport display gauges on the nav screen are accurate, I'm getting torque and HP increases greater than the ones listed in promo material for the kit.

The tin-can flap clatter is still there on startup and idle. It kind of drives me nuts, so I have to convince myself that it's a relative of the sound a Ducati's dry clutch makes.

The JB4 people make a controller for the flaps that plugs into the OBDII port. It may be my next purchase.

BimmerLink app does this as well (would also need the OBD wifi adapter). This and the Bimmercode app are highly recommended.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=19866269

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
BimmerLink app does this as well (would also need the OBD wifi adapter). This and the Bimmercode app are highly recommended.
I just code with a laptop and a cable. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

Bimmerlink and Bimmercode both need to be connected to the car for flap control to function, and they're only available in iOS.

I like the fact that the Burger Tuning OBDII CAN Module stays in place and is accessible from the BC button. I just ordered one and will review it when I get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 05:51 AM   #9
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
I just code with a laptop and a cable. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

Bimmerlink and Bimmercode both need to be connected to the car for flap control to function, and they're only available in iOS.

I like the fact that the Burger Tuning OBDII CAN Module stays in place and is accessible from the BC button. I just ordered one and will review it when I get it installed.
Yup, if you're already coding with a laptop, no need for Bimmercode and BimmerLink.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #10
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, if you're already coding with a laptop, no need for Bimmercode and BimmerLink.

I only have macs. Is there no mac solution?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #11
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I only have macs. Is there no mac solution?
Aren't there provisions that let you run Windows programs on a Mac?

Or you could get one of the iOS based programs for your mobile iThing.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=19866269

Can you elaborate on what this feature would do? I have the wifi OBDII connector, Bimmercode and a 2014 335i with MPE. Doesn't Sport mode keep both flaps open by default (not coded)?

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

when i had a 340xdrive loaner, i was blown away how slow my 2011 335 xdrive felt after ... love the 340 its a beast, will be next car
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #14
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So, I picked up the car last Friday, so, after just one weekend, here are some thoughts I have regarding how it compares to the C450.

Positives :-
1)The C450 is by no means a slow car, in sports plus mode, it is pretty rapid, but from the seat of my pants, the 340 with MPPSK have it beat, the BMW mid range punch is devastating, I'm not sure I believe BMW's claim of 355hp and 360 tq.
2)The 340 makes, by far, the better exhaust noise. Even with the car standing still, the pops and burps it makes with light revs is goose bumps material. With the C450, you have to be in sports plus mode, and accelerate hard, to get the exhaust to crackle and pop, otherwise, it's quite droney.
3) I still think the C450 have the nicer interior, but the BMW interior is pretty good, and I really like the BMW's shifter and manual park brake, vs the C450 minivan like column shifter.
4) In sports mode, the BMW's ride is more compliant, and doesn't beat u up as much as the C450 does in sports mode.

Negatives :-
1)I am surprised I noticed it, but the Benz definitely have the better steering feel, I'm not a professional driver, so don't know all the nuances, but the 340i steering doesn't feel as assured as the C450, it's just slightly twitchy.
2)It's the first car I've had in a while without simple stuff like a integrated garage door opener, I don't like how BMW nickel and dime on the options. To forced u to get their premium enhanced package ($6500) to get garage opener is not cool. Stuff like HUD should also be a stand alone option. The Benz give better value for the money.
3) Surprised also that insurance on the 340i was about 25% more expensive than the C450, even though both cars are priced roughly the same.

Overall, I'm happy with the car, so far at least, I don't know if the exhaust have a break in period, as I'm not getting the "gunshots pops" I see in all those youtube videos, but the sound and farts on upshift is incredible. The C450 is a fast, entry level luxury car, whilst the 340i is more sporty.
Appreciate 0