F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone have high speed driveline vibration?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #111
alecalecu
Rep
Drives: 2018 f30 320i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecalecu View Post
Dear colleagues,

the strangest thing happened today: did a drivetest with a good friend to show him the problem and we went on the newest highway around. All vibration gone!! I was speechless. Went up to 170kmh, nothing. The hum between 100 and 125 kmh still there but no vibration whatsoever. Nothing!
Yesterday I went on an old highway, the car was shaking like jelly at 170kmh. Very constant shake like a bent rim.

Only one conclusion comes out: the m sport suspension is so sensible that if the road is not perfect, the car vibrates a lot!

Any thoughts on this?

320i 2018
b48m
8at
m sport

cheers!
If the car is smooth on a smooth highway, then I don't think you have a vibration issue. The M sport suspension is not that sensitive it will shake the car like you say. If the road is rough then you may feel the bumps in the road and get a lot of tyre roar. Maybe you have something loose or there is some play in your suspension?
just found 2 plastic covers under the car that are a bit loose. will take them down and check if the noise is still there. will report back.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #112
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
just found 2 plastic covers under the car that are a bit loose. will take them down and check if the noise is still there. will report back.

cheers
There is a thread on the forum regarding the undertray coming loose and vibrating causing a buzzing noise when driving at high speed on the motorway.
This sounds like what you are experiencing. Would depend on what vibration/noise you are getting?
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #113
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Mine vibrates at 125 mph - Id push it further if it didn't. Is this what we're talking about here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #114
alecalecu
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

cheers
There is a thread on the forum regarding the undertray coming loose and vibrating causing a buzzing noise when driving at high speed on the motorway.
This sounds like what you are experiencing. Would depend on what vibration/noise you are getting?
yeah, I really hope it' s that 'cause if it ain't I will sell it. still haven't taken them down for the test. hopefully in a couple of days. will report back. thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #115
alecalecu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Mine vibrates at 125 mph - Id push it further if it didn't. Is this what we're talking about here?
not sure. i am talking about 60mph
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #116
alecalecu
Rep

So, hi guys, back after removing the plastic shields under the car, noise still there, spoke to bmw tehnicians, they said it's a normal rolling sound and I have to live with it.

So I guess that's that. Good job BMW...
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 05:28 AM   #117
AtlantaDan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Msport Touring

2016 328i AT. High frequency hum/drone at 55-65 and 80+. Decreases noticeably when letting off the gas, but it is still there. Guibo looks good, no driveshaft play. Rear wheel bearings within spec. Add me to the list of stumped (and irritated) owners.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #118
obeeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I had a E46 for a number of years and that car felt solid, no real issues, car reliability was pretty much bullet proof.
Even the the replacement 428 I've got now is not perfect, just noticed a kind of low level whistling noise from the passenger side. Sounds like either the brakes are rubbing slightly or a noisy bearing . But it's not that noticeable and doesn't seem that major so not even going to bother with it for now.
Interesting I was just googling an issue with my car that I just noticed today and came across this thread. My issue just started and I noticed a small, but consistent vibration at freeway speeds 60-80 mph on off throttle coasting. As soon as I would apply a small amount of throttle the vibration would disappear, but would come back as soon as I let off throttle.

2015 335i xDrive 8at.
Edit, just broke 31,000 miles.

Additionally, I underlined the quote from kingmonkey as I have the same high pitch noise from passengers side which sounds like a brake dragging or a bearing. However, I can drag the brakes while driving and it doesn't seem to change the frequency or sound so I'm ruling out a brake noise.

I did just install brand new all season tires on my car and now have about 500 miles on them so I'm ruling out a balance issue since they have been fine. The old run flats were smooth as butter to be honest too.

I'm going to drive home today and see if it's still there. Then since I have the xdelete I'm going to switch off the AWD and see if there is any change in the morning.

Last edited by obeeone; 11-07-2019 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #119
VVlasy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i xDrive GC with MPPSK

Quote:
Looking back at the thread at my previous post, when BMW last repaired the car. They changed the prop shaft and this seemed to solve the problem at the time. But for some reason the issue has come back.
I dropped in a used Prop shaft with a later manufacture date (2015). If anything the problem seems slightly worse than before. But as this has had an effect. It does seems to confirm the issue is related to the prop shaft.
Well after a year later. Like for you the issue has returned and is also worse than before. I am at a loss right now.

For me the progression of the vibrations is as follows:
Get on a newly resurfaced highway. Set cruise at 75 mph. No vibrations initially. After driving for 15 minutes the vibrations appear, slightly, almost like uneven road surface. Then as time goes on the vibrations get worse and worse. To the point where after driving for 4 hours you feel like you are sitting on a washing machine. Any idea what could cause such an issue? Slightly sticking caliper? Where over time as disc heats up it gets worse?

I had both front hydrobearings replaced this year. I also had paid for the steering rack repair kit which improves the steering so much it feels like a new car, kinda hoping as a side effect it would fix the vibrations. But nope.

I have a new service advisor who seems more willing to help fix this so I will be going back there soon.

Last edited by VVlasy; 11-15-2019 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:13 AM   #120
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 120i M-Sport 2022

My second 120d has started on the vibration. A few months ago, at only 30k miles.

All the usual symptoms that my previous 120d had. Varies in intensity, not always present.

In another thread you can read that I recently swapped brakes on all four. This was done completely by the book, with almost zero runout on the new discs. I had hoped for a vibe reducing side effect, but no.

At the same time my wheels were checked for balance. Two were slightly out (5 and 10 grams) and recitified. Alas, perfectly balanced wheels cannot stave off the dreaded BMW vibes
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #121
Gbtr6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Not sure if the 328 is anything like an X3 when it comes to NVH. My sons X3 needed rear brakes. We jacked it up, and I couldn't find a place for a jack stand, except this block in the center rear, behind the dif. Looked solid, so I used it. As soon as there was weight on it, it leaked hydraulic fluid. Then stopped. After we got the job complete, we ran by a local indy shop and they diagnosed the damper. Also, what about a guibo? Does the 328 have one?

Perry
      01-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #122
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep

Tracking / alignment

An alignment, which showed twice the spec on front total toe, now corrected to spot on the spec, has seen my higher speed vibrations dampened quite a bit. It used to start at 120 and just get worse, not it seems to calm down again at 160km/h. (I am so lucky to live near de-restricted German motorways!)

Still not gone, and still easily felt from 120-140km/h.

My rear most Giubo looks much more worn the front one - which looks immaculate. The attached picture is the rear one, just ahead of the diff. The coating is all cracked which I reckon is unimportant, but look closer, there are deep cracks on the leading edges of where the diff flange is mounted. I suspect there could be some vibrations hiding in there
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #123
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep

Alignment

Hello again,

So, after a sleepless night contemplating how the alignment improved things, I decided to get it done again. Only this time, I borrowed some aligning equipment and let my natural perfectionism take control. I have worked as a mechanic in two periods of my life, and maintained a number of my own vehicles, including participating in alignments because I like to tweak the handling of some cars. SO, I know what I am doing

Now my steering wheel is perfectly centred and the toe values are bang on spec and identical side-to-side.

The vibrations have subsided significantly. In fact, they are only really apparent around 130-140 km/h. Some might just be leftovers from uneven tyre wear from the bad factory alignment.
Of course the Diesel engine clunking away under the bonnet(hood) is also responsible for some vibrations.

I would strongly recommend anyone who has the vibration problems on fairly new cars to get the alignment checked. And don't discount the importance of the full-tank and seat weighting that the alignment specs demand. It is quite clear that BMWs are designed around a very specific wheel angle setup - underlined by the tight tolerances in the specs.

The F20 is quite easy to adjust, but some BMW rear ends are tricky. The camber and toe adjustments interfere with each other and it requires patience and perseverance to get them within tolerances.

In spec toe also has the added benefit of making the steering far more responsive.

I wish I had done this with my previous 120d, which also developed the vibes, and was never cured. The dealership just wouldn't listen to my suggestion that maybe the tracking might be out...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #124
alecalecu
Rep

returning with the 60mph low frequency noise. I changed the diff under the warranty and the noise is still there. and the subtle vibration. i havo no idea what to do. changed 2 wheel sets 18 inch and 17 inch winter and summer. same noise.
noise goes like huummm ..... huuummm......huuummm or sometimes is continuous between 100kmh and 130hmh.
please , anyone found a solution to this ?
thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #125
BigJerm7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Add me to the list. New wheels and tires, RFB 3 times, new struts, pads/rotors, wheel bearings, engine mounts, thrust arms, control arms, CV axles, spark plugs, sway bar end links, etc. I've replaced everything possible besides the driveshaft and differential. Changed transmission fluid and diff fluid. Anyone have any luck fixing this? 2015 328i, 90k miles, auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:42 AM   #126
mrs_dobalina
Rep
Drives: 428i

Just picked up a second hand 428i.
Cabin noise seems loud - on one hand I hope that it's not a similar problem to what people are describing in this thread, and on the other hand I hope that it's not something I just have to live with
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 07:51 PM   #127
BigJerm7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

I took my driveshaft off and replaced the carrier bearing and guibos. Problem solved for now. Neither showed any obvious signs of fatigue or failure.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #128
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJerm7 View Post
I took my driveshaft off and replaced the carrier bearing and guibos. Problem solved for now. Neither showed any obvious signs of fatigue or failure.
Any tips on pulling the drive shaft out? Earlier models made it easy with a couple of bolts on the rear flange. The F-series has a massive collar nut. something like a 52mm thats torqued on crazy tight.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 06:51 PM   #129
Kenneth04
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJerm7 View Post
I think this is exactly what is going on with mine. I have a 16 LCI, but around 62mph the hum starts. “Hummmm hummmm hummmm.” Then the hum descends in noise at about 77MPH. This is my 3rd F30. A 2012, 2014, and now this one. We also have a 13 model that doesn’t do it. If you have any insight on replacing, please do tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #130
Kenneth04
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I once that humm humm and it was a bearing. The bearing got replaced and it was gone completely and without a doubt!

When you are driving and get the hum, does it get more frequent if you SLIGHTLY turn left or right? (Like a Lange change). Mine did. It was the bearing and I wonder if your problem is the same. I had hit a massive pothole and it was on that same wheel.
It doesn’t happen when I’m turning. Just when I’m driving at least 60mph or higher. I took it to an Indy shop and they did say my rear diff is leaking (very small leak) but for some reason I think may be something dealing with the driveshaft. I feel the vibrations through the seats and hear the hummm sound until I hit about 77. Then it goes away. If I decelerate it comes back.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #131
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth04 View Post
Quote:
I once that humm humm and it was a bearing. The bearing got replaced and it was gone completely and without a doubt!

When you are driving and get the hum, does it get more frequent if you SLIGHTLY turn left or right? (Like a Lange change). Mine did. It was the bearing and I wonder if your problem is the same. I had hit a massive pothole and it was on that same wheel.
It doesn’t happen when I’m turning. Just when I’m driving at least 60mph or higher. I took it to an Indy shop and they did say my rear diff is leaking (very small leak) but for some reason I think may be something dealing with the driveshaft. I feel the vibrations through the seats and hear the hummm sound until I hit about 77. Then it goes away. If I decelerate it comes back.
Still very similar to my experience. Sounds like a bearing to me. I only had the humm humm at 40 ad 75 mph. ONLY!
      10-11-2021, 08:52 PM   #132
Kenneth04
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still very similar to my experience. Sounds like a bearing to me. I only had the humm humm at 40 ad 75 mph. ONLY!
Interesting. I’ll definitely take a look at the bearings as well. It bothers me so much, so I turn up my music, lol.

Last edited by Kenneth04; 10-11-2021 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0