F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Another Base System Upgrade
Extreme Powerhouse

08-09-2017, 04:38 AM   #1
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Another Base System Upgrade

Hi, I apologise for asking yet more questions on this subject but as I am a novice I would like to ask for some advice with this upgrade.

I live in the UK and have just purchased a RHD F30 335D with the base system (6 Speakers). I have already upgraded the fronts with Focal IFBMW-S (Mids & Tweeters). These sound much better.

I have also ordered the Match PP62 DSP amp, Harness and ISO adapter.

So has anyone fitted a plug & play harness from the boot to the head unit on a UK spec car? If so:
  • What is the best location for the amp?
  • What route did you take for the power & negative wires?
  • What is the best route for the harness? (I do not have folding seats)
  • Was coding required to change the base setting or will the available amp setup file overcome this?

I am looking forward to doing this myself and will then go on to replace the under seat subs and maybe the rear mids when I have saved a bit more cash.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 05:01 AM   #2
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
Hi, I apologise for asking yet more questions on this subject but as I am a novice I would like to ask for some advice with this upgrade.

I live in the UK and have just purchased a RHD F30 335D with the base system (6 Speakers). I have already upgraded the fronts with Focal IFBMW-S (Mids & Tweeters). These sound much better.

I have also ordered the Match PP62 DSP amp, Harness and ISO adapter.

So has anyone fitted a plug & play harness from the boot to the head unit on a UK spec car? If so:
  • What is the best location for the amp?
  • What route did you take for the power & negative wires?
  • What is the best route for the harness? (I do not have folding seats)
  • Was coding required to change the base setting or will the available amp setup file overcome this?

I am looking forward to doing this myself and will then go on to replace the under seat subs and maybe the rear mids when I have saved a bit more cash.
What was your reason for getting the PP62DSP? Budget or a good deal?

I would suggest the following:
  • Place the amp in either the factory OEM position with a bracket (not sure if this will be possible)
  • If the factory position isn't possible, I would place it in the book and secure it with double sided velcro tape
  • Power can be taken directly from the battery with an inline fuse. I believe the amp has power sensing built in.
  • Negative can be taken from one of the many negative points thoughout the car. You'll see them bolted to the bodywork behind interior trim. There are actually two on the left side reat wheel arch.
  • You can still remove your rear seats although it's a little trickier. I would route the harness behind the wheel arch trim, and then under the doors, through the front dash into the center console. It's fairly easy to do. Just takes time and patience.
  • Yes, you will need to code, but it's a very easy code to do. You just need to change the HU to HIFI otherwise the outputs will be too harsh and could damage your amp / speakers.

I also recommend changing the subs as a priority. My Bimmertech PP82DSP blew up the base stereo ones so I now have Ghost subs which are awesome
      08-09-2017, 05:32 AM   #3
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Another Base System Upgrade

Thanks for your response. I went for the PP 62DSP based on budget really. I realise it gives me less control but so far I have only spent £724 with only the under seat Subs to sort. Its the coding that is putting me off as I am unsure if this would affect my warranty but I guess the Focal upgrade may have already done that. I was hoping that there may be some pics of the install available?
Can you confirm which side of the vehicle to route the harness? The right seems to have a lot of cables already and would there be an issue with interference?

Last edited by Xsapper; 08-09-2017 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #4
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
Thanks for your response. I went for the PP 62DSP based on budget really. I realise it gives me less control but so far I have only spent £724 with only the under seat Subs to sort. Its the coding that is putting me off as I am unsure if this would affect my warranty but I guess the Focal upgrade may have already done that. I was hoping that there may be some pics of the install available?
Can you confirm which side of the vehicle to route the harness? The right seems to have a lot of cables already and would there be an issue with interference?
You won't have any interference problems so don't worry about that. There's actually quite a lot of room down each time so the harness will fit nicely in there.

I'll try and dig out some photos. I took some of the build but my GoPro decided to die on me mid-way through so I lost the video of the build!

Don't worry about warranty issues either. If you're going to start adding an amp and cabling, that will have a bigger impact than coding. In fact, you'll find if the dealer see's anything wrong, they'll recode your car completely, so you need to notify them NOT to code your car without your permission and unless it's explicitly needed.

Coding is genuinely a 2 minute job if you have e-sys and an ENET cable, otherwise you can always pay BimmerTech to do it remotely. I wouldn't do that however unless you're coding a new NBT which is far more complex.
Xsapper233.00
      09-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #5
keitio
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport F30

Hi xSapper (nice name - ex RE per chance?)....

I'm just about to embark on the same mission, have bought the Match PP 62DSP for my 2015 335d XDrive...Base Audio = garbage!
how did you get on? any tips or pitfalls to avoid?

How did you install the amp? did you get an OEM bracket or go MDF DiY?

Any advice gratefully received.

p.s. having trawled the web it seems there's not much (clear) coverage for a UK Base Audio upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitio View Post
having trawled the web it seems there's not much (clear) coverage for a UK Base Audio upgrade
The answer was here all along:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1475424
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
keitio
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Wow thanks Billfitz, boy do i feel humbled! (Been on the road hence the tardy reply - thanks)

I'll give it all a go and see where i get.

Many thanks once again....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #8
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sorry for the delay but I have been away. Yes I am an x Sapper!!!
I did not fit an amp, just changed all front speakers and I use an HD music player with a built in DAC and run if from the usb socket within the arm rest.
Appreciate 0