F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Sport (N20/N26)
ARMA SPEED

08-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #111
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
So using 93 octane w/10 ethanol is fine?
Yes. I dont think you can get gas in the country anymore that doesn't have 10-15% ethanol in it. At least not at the pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #112
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Installed. Wow. Simple but the TMAP plug is a cast iron bitch on the N26, just not intuitive and fought me for awhile. Better instructions would be a help there Dinan.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #113
VIDoug
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport,THP, PP

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Help with Unplugging it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
Installed. Wow. Simple but the TMAP plug is a cast iron bitch on the N26, just not intuitive and fought me for awhile. Better instructions would be a help there Dinan.
Help... having trouble getting the stock sensor plug unplugged. Any advice??
      08-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #114
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDoug View Post
I moved mine with a screwdriver, didn't take anything to move it. I could not remove by hand, just a little sideways screwdriver action and it popped right off. I also am having this:

Red triangle - close the hood
Blue triangle - close your door

Took me a while to think through this. I hope that was it, won't be driving until tomorrow morning. Bluetooth works great, gauge goes up on revs, can swap modes, can't wait for tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #115
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDoug View Post
This is from a BMS tutorial

Its still kinda confusing because where the screwdriver is pointing is where you want to hold down with your thumb. You want to insert a small screwdriver where the red arrow is pointing and oriented with the arrow. The plug includes that lighter grey section, its not just the black wire. Use the screw driver tip to push down and also prey (lightly) up and back to release.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK

Last edited by MickAv8r; 08-10-2016 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
jbE840.00
      08-10-2016, 09:19 PM   #116
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89alpinem3 View Post
I am testing it on my 320i for Dinan and will be doing a full write up here in a few days.
As noted the app seems to be doing odd things on the 320i currently, that being said the product is extremely well made, install takes about 1 min with the longest part being where to mount it lol. After a couple days , still on only 91 and around 120 miles with it, it has really awoken the car. I have not noticed any jerking or negative side effects on the car yet. Once the app issues are sorted the car will be on a dyno to show each setting and the gains.\

Also the outside temp the last few days here in Tucson has been 100-104, I have driven the car during the hottest part of the day and performed perfectly.
Were you able to dyno your 320i yet? I've got a 2015 320i and am very interested in hearing your results. Please keep us posted. What do you think so far now that you've put some more miles on it?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #117
VIDoug
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport,THP, PP

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Thanks

Quote:
This is from a BMS tutorial

Its still kinda confusing because where the screwdriver is pointing is where you want to hold down with your thumb. You want to insert a small screwdriver where the red arrow is pointing and oriented with the arrow. The plug includes that lighter grey section, its not just the black wire. Use the screw driver tip to push down and also prey (lightly) up and back to release.
Thanks.... mine's a little different but this got me on the right path. Done now.
      08-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #118
ttomczak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 3.5 M-Sport

Any updates on the App?
2007 X5 E70 4.8i - 2010 X5 E70 3.0i
2016 428ix M-Sport Gran Coupe - 2014 E71 X6M
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #119
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttomczak View Post
Any updates on the App?
when its out it will obviously get posted. Its out of Dinan's hands.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #120
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Any chance those of you who have done this tune might be able to do a DIY since its been posted that the instructions are lacking?
      08-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #121
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any chance those of you who have done this tune might be able to do a DIY since its been posted that the instructions are lacking?
The instructions are fine, the only issue is whats already been described above with just getting the TMAP sensor undone. Dinan should add the TMAP instructions to their document but otherwise there is nothing else to know.

Unplug TMAP, plug in Dinantronic unit, ziptie. Done.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #122
ttomczak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 3.5 M-Sport

Quote:
I'm in NC, the Raleigh area, if I can help you I will... I think there are some things to look out for that most don't think about, like wire routing, and making sure that where you zip tie the wires aren't against anything that will rub over weeks / months of driving and rubbing... And that the Dinan connector that plugs into the MAP sensor does not lock like the OEM one, I can easily pull mine off, so I am still looking at a way to make sure it stays on, it's tight, but I can just imagine over time it could vibrate loose at just exactly the wrong time...

I didn't take any pic's, but if you need something, let me know...

Thomas
2007 X5 E70 4.8i - 2010 X5 E70 3.0i
2016 428ix M-Sport Gran Coupe - 2014 E71 X6M

Last edited by ttomczak; 08-11-2016 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
etinifni203.00
      08-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #123
nadthomas
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i 6MT

This is about as easy a mod can get, well except maybe putting M performance stickers all over your car. This would have taken less then a minute for me to install if I was debating on where I wanted to mount the module. You just disconnect wiring from factory sensor and plug into Dinan module. Then plug Dinan module into factory sensor, and zip tie to something. I personally had no problems getting the connector off the factory sensor.

Here is where I mounted mine. The Dinan module has a spot built into it to pass a zip tie through it, so I just zip tied it to another set of cables, and it blends right into the engine bay. There is lots of open space under the intake pipe, and the cables lay nice without any other zip ties needed like this.

I only went for a short drive last night, and then my normal commute this morning. The performance increase is most noticeable in first gear when pulling away from a stop quickly, as I find myself at the top of first gear and almost hitting the rev limiter quicker then I'm used to. Since I run 93 octane all the time I switched it to the race tune briefly, and noticed a little more of the fun turbo noises, but I didn't really get a chance to explore the power difference. The power increase is nice for such a simple mod, I'm sure as I drive it more I will find other notable difference as well.

The app....just a little documentation on the app would be helpful if it isn't out there already. I haven't been able to find any yet. As an IT Infrastructure Engineer is kind of my job to figure out confusing systems and applications, so after play with such a simple app for about a hour I'm a little frustrated with it. I can't quite figure out what each of the buttons are supposed to do. The buttons to change the tune are pretty obvious, but it would be nice if the app could highlight or change the color of the button for the tune you are currently using. It seems to take a few seconds to change the tune, because after selecting a different tune a message pops up showing you are now run "X.X" PSI after about 5-10 seconds then disappears. Otherwise you don't know which tune you are running. A couple of time after first opening the app a message showed either 6.2 or 6.4PSI, which is a little concerning. I really don't understand exactly what the On/Off buttons do. It seems that if you want to run the live boost gauge it has to be turned on, but then that force the other On/Off switch to off which stops you from selecting a different tune. If that is the case different screens or tabs for these two functions would probably be more helpful and intuitive. I also had some stability issues, and an issue connecting once which after turning the car off/on, rebooting my phone and still not getting it to reconnect I had to remove and reinstall the app before it would reconnect. This is on a Galaxy S6. For a first gen app that is connecting to a Bluetooth device I expect the occasional stability and connectivity issues, but if it doesn't exist already a quick document on each of the apps functions and buttons would be much appreciated.

Overall I'm happy with the product so far though.

2013 BMW 328i 6MT - Dinan Sport Tune, Eibach Sportline Springs, Apex Arc 8 18x9, MPSS 255/40/18 Square

Last edited by nadthomas; 08-12-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
etinifni203.00
      08-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #124
nadthomas
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i 6MT

I put about 150 miles on the car this past weekend, and I can notice and appreciate the power increase even more. Some of the bending on ramps that I could take in second with the pedal flat, I can now only do at about 3/4 throttle. If you put your foot into it, the power surge once you get into boost comes on stronger and quicker. Certainly not in a bad way but in a way you would expect a more power turbo car to respond. If you drive the car gently and at low RPMs it will drive just like stock. Finding that happy middle ground for comfortable acceleration that doesn't piss off my 7 month pregnant wife takes a little more pedal modulation, but that's also because its more fun to downshift and smash the gas while cruising along.

I was reading in the N55 section, and it sounds like the Android app will be updated soon and that should address my issues with the app. The only other issue I have now is that I want to step up to the 335i or M Sport brakes.

2013 BMW 328i 6MT - Dinan Sport Tune, Eibach Sportline Springs, Apex Arc 8 18x9, MPSS 255/40/18 Square

Last edited by nadthomas; 08-16-2016 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
crono06127.00
      08-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #125
BennnChen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i xDrive

So is there a reason why Dinan does not carry the factory matching warranty that you guys are known for?
      08-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #126
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennnChen View Post
So is there a reason why Dinan does not carry the factory matching warranty that you guys are known for?
I believe it was already previously mentioned, but it was because of a strong demand for a cheaper alternative. I'm sure it would be double or triple the price if a matching warranty was offered on this product.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #127
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennnChen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
I believe it was already previously mentioned, but it was because of a strong demand for a cheaper alternative. I'm sure it would be double or triple the price if a matching warranty was offered on this product.
What Crono said...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #128
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Are there any issues with driving in a mode that is different than the boost setting or do they have to match? In other words, is driving in Comfort mode with the boost set to Sport or Sport + okay?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #129
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
Are there any issues with driving in a mode that is different than the boost setting or do they have to match? In other words, is driving in Comfort mode with the boost set to Sport or Sport + okay?
No issues. Perfectly fine. So no you dont need to keep them matched if that was your concern. Since Im waiting for the iOS app, I'm in the default Sport+ boost, but occasionally drive in comfort. You dont notice a difference in this mode unless you get on it in Comfort.

You find yourself magically in Sport+ mode more often with this thing installed

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #130
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No issues. Perfectly fine. So no you dont need to keep them matched if that was your concern. Since Im waiting for the iOS app, I'm in the default Sport+ boost, but occasionally drive in comfort. You dont notice a difference in this mode unless you get on it in Comfort.

You find yourself magically in Sport+ mode more often with this thing installed
Thanks. I figured that was the case but wanted to ask. What are your thoughts so far? What F30 are you driving?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #131
martinlag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 M-Sport and F30 M-Sport

@Dinan, in places that only have 91 octane, any issues running on Sport+? Would you recommend we stick to just Sport?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #132
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlag View Post
@Dinan, in places that only have 91 octane, any issues running on Sport+? Would you recommend we stick to just Sport?
I've had one on my 228i N20 for a few days. I'm an iPhone guy so I haven't yet paired my phone to check (or change) what setting it's on, but I believe they default to "Sport+" so I'm going to assume that it's on that until I'm able to check.

I'd say the boost comes in lower than with the AA8, but the top-end isn't as frantic (at least, with the car in Comfort throttle). I'd say the overall feel is about equivalent to Map 4 on the AA8. The AA8 was declared by AA themselves as being fine up to Map 6 on 91 gas (Map 4 being, I believe, 0.6psi less max).

I'm very happy with the Dinantronics so far, especially considering it's only a single connection instead of four. I lost money on the AA8, but I just couldn't see myself dealing with the hassle of having to remove and reinstall it every time the car went into the shop.
Appreciate 0