F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Why so much hate for RUN FLATS
proTUNING Freaks

11-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #45
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi A5 Prestige S/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
I took off the OEM Continental runflats yesterday. They weren't wore out but I was tired of the harshness. Replaced them with OEM sized Goodyear "normal" tires. Man, what a difference. Never, ever, will I run runflats again. There's a reason tractors no longer have steel wheels, and it's not cost.
Which tire did you have put on?
      11-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #46
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Which tire did you have put on?
Goodyear Maxlife, OEM sized, bought locally.
      01-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #47
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Whatever you are smoking, send me some. There is no way you can have that opinion if you actually drove my original Pirelli runflats and then drove my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. (Both on stock 18" wheels) The Michelin's literally make the runflats feel like they were old wooden wheels.
I have a 2019 F36 430i GC and it rides just fine on Pirelli run flats.
I'm sure they "ride just fine", I doubt BMW would use them as an OEM tire if they were terrible, and for the general public, most won't notice or care that much. The point most people here are making is that go flat tires ride BETTER, particularly for enthusiastic driving. A lot (if not all) of professional drivers agree that tires make a huge difference in handling and ride. The stock RFTs may be good enough for you, but getting a good set of high performance summer go-flats with undoubtedly make "good enough" better. For some, the trade offs are worth it.
My 2017 440i convertible came with Pirelli P Zero run flats. They are just about the WORST tire I have experienced (I had 4 sets of run-flats on my C5 Corvette, the original Goodyear's, replacement Kuhmo's) and they were not great either. They were noisy, rough riding and not very long lasting. Of course they lasted longer than my Pirelli run flats (16,000 miles). I now am going to buy new tires, and as much as I dislike run-flats, I am going to have to purchase a new set so that BMW doesn't give me any B.S. about non run flats voiding any warranty issues (I still have 11 months of warranty left). It seems as if you must get a BMW authorized/BMW blessed replacement for anything if you expect them to live up to their end of the bargain.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #48
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Whatever you are smoking, send me some. There is no way you can have that opinion if you actually drove my original Pirelli runflats and then drove my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. (Both on stock 18" wheels) The Michelin's literally make the runflats feel like they were old wooden wheels.
I'm sure they "ride just fine", I doubt BMW would use them as an OEM tire if they were terrible, and for the general public, most won't notice or care that much. The point most people here are making is that go flat tires ride BETTER, particularly for enthusiastic driving. A lot (if not all) of professional drivers agree that tires make a huge difference in handling and ride. The stock RFTs may be good enough for you, but getting a good set of high performance summer go-flats with undoubtedly make "good enough" better. For some, the trade offs are worth it.
My 2017 440i convertible came with Pirelli P Zero run flats. They are just about the WORST tire I have experienced (I had 4 sets of run-flats on my C5 Corvette, the original Goodyear's, replacement Kuhmo's) and they were not great either. They were noisy, rough riding and not very long lasting. Of course they lasted longer than my Pirelli run flats (16,000 miles). I now am going to buy new tires, and as much as I dislike run-flats, I am going to have to purchase a new set so that BMW doesn't give me any B.S. about non run flats voiding any warranty issues (I still have 11 months of warranty left). It seems as if you must get a BMW authorized/BMW blessed replacement for anything if you expect them to live up to their end of the bargain.
Using non-BMW approved tires won't void your warranty. Any issues that arise, BMW would have to prove that it was directly caused by the non-approved tires in order to deny a warranty claim. Ie. If your window stop working, it'll still be covered under warranty despite having different tires.
      01-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #49
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
To me run flat are ok... but they are expensive and they don't last long either.... $350 for 20k miles fk that.
i bought my car nov 2018 with 37k miles, the tires looked brand new but i cant confirm if it was replaced by the original owner.

im at 42.5k now and still i have a good chunk of tires left.
      01-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #50
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Using non-BMW approved tires won't void your warranty. Any issues that arise, BMW would have to prove that it was directly caused by the non-approved tires in order to deny a warranty claim. Ie. If your window stop working, it'll still be covered under warranty despite having different tires.
Agreed as to what the issue would be as far as voiding warranty. I am concerned with items related to suspension, steering, etc., anything that BMW might use as justification for not standing behind their product. They certainly cannot use tire replacement as justification for not standing behind things such as radio, infotainment, leather interior/ steering wheel, etc. Or could they?? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #51
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Agreed as to what the issue would be as far as voiding warranty. I am concerned with items related to suspension, steering, etc., anything that BMW might use as justification for not standing behind their product. They certainly cannot use tire replacement as justification for not standing behind things such as radio, infotainment, leather interior/ steering wheel, etc. Or could they?? Thanks
How much hassle you get for mods is highly dealer depdent, and also depends a lot on the $ involved in the warranty coverage.

Just go FBO, flash tune, and do all the mods you want so you don't have to stress about something as simple as changing to non OEM tires
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      01-10-2020, 01:40 AM   #52
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
How much hassle you get for mods is highly dealer depdent, and also depends a lot on the $ involved in the warranty coverage.

Just go FBO, flash tune, and do all the mods you want so you don't have to stress about something as simple as changing to non OEM tires
I agree. It depends on the dealer attitude and down to the attitude of the actual individual service advisor. They all have their opinions so find one who you get along with. If all of the service advisors are difficult then go to another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #53
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia

Run flats are more expensive and worse tires in every way that matters. The jarring on any minor, filled pothole would boom throughout the whole car on even the incredibly soft, stock suspension. I've never been stuck on the side of the road from a normal tire. It only takes a few minutes to air a tire up with a compressor and then there is still the possibility of patching it (versus driving on a completely flat run flat tire which could ruin it).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #54
Elliot301
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

Tires on 2016 BMW 328i x Drive

Dear all. I am a first time poster to this site although I have been reading the posts for a while. I am about to own my first BMW, and I am excited. However, before I finalize the deal, I am trying to get an idea of how worn the tires are, and when I can expect to have to replace them. It is a 2016 CPO 328i x-drive with 24,000 miles on it. I was told that the tire tread measurements are as follows:

Left Front: - Inside: 0.5 mm; Center 0.5 mm; Outside: 0.5 mm
Left Rear: - Inside: 4.5 mm; Center 4.0 mm; Outside: 4.5 mm
Right Rear: - Inside: 4.5 mm; Center 4.0 mm; Outside: 4.5 mm
Right Front: - Inside: 4.5 mm; Center 4.5 mm; Outside: 4.5 mm

Tire Size: P225/50VR17
Wheel Size: 17 X 7.5

- Elliot
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #55
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot301 View Post
Dear all. I am a first time poster to this site although I have been reading the posts for a while. I am about to own my first BMW, and I am excited. However, before I finalize the deal, I am trying to get an idea of how worn the tires are, and when I can expect to have to replace them. It is a 2016 CPO 328i x-drive with 24,000 miles on it. I was told that the tire tread measurements are as follows:

- Elliot
It's strange that the left front is so much more worn than the others. That one needs to be replaced. The others will last for a little bit, but they're probably past half of their remaining life. How long you actually get depends on the tire itself (treadwear rating), condition of the roads you travel on, and your driving style.

I would try to negotiate the deal to either include new tires or lower the price to account for needing one new tire immediately and the rest probably within a year.
      01-18-2020, 02:27 AM   #56
Midland45
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 435D

Tyre wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot301 View Post

- Elliot
That left front tyre is illegal and dangerous it would definitely aquaplane in wet condition braking! The other tyres are fine and will still give probably another 5k or so of mileage depending on your driving style. I did monitor the tyre tread depth on our 435D X drive recently which had similar values (not left front), we got another 7k out the fronts and 5k from the backs.
Appreciate 0