F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone With Sound Clips of AWE Exhaust + Fabspeed Catted Downpipe?
ARMA SPEED

10-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Anyone With Sound Clips of AWE Exhaust + Fabspeed Catted Downpipe?

Wanted to get an idea of how they sound together.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sub'd

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
DrBall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Sub'd

thats my plan in the spring.. add the fabspeed cat to my AWE setup....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I've always wanted to go this route too with my 235i, but I have heard it's quite loud, so we'll see. I found this older video that might help give you an idea (although it's always so hard to tell differences between set ups until you hear it in person).

Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      11-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlum235i View Post
I've always wanted to go this route too with my 235i, but I have heard it's quite loud, so we'll see. I found this older video that might help give you an idea (although it's always so hard to tell differences between set ups until you hear it in person).

Agreed. I've heard a couple 235/M235's with this setup. Both being N55's, you would assume they sound the same if not identical but you never know. Have yet to find a sound clip with an F30 N55
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK 5 View Post
Wanted to get an idea of how they sound together.
My 2015 335ix has a Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe, stock midpipe and rear M Performance exhaust. It's sounds deep and powerful! (Car came with the MP or AWE may have been my first choice, with Remus, Akrapovic and Fabspeed in the mix!)

It's running BootMod3 Stage2 93 octane. My wife and I share it as a daily driver. Last month we decided to use BM3 to completely shut off the burbles. I also made sure that we didn't have any artificial ASD (Active Sound Design) engine noise being pumped into the cabin. Now we really hear that beautiful engine & exhaust system exactly when we want to- when we step on the gas!

Actually pretty funny to see an Asian-branded obnoxiously tricked out car with an oversized really loud muffler handing out the back like it needs its own trailer. When one of those is sitting next to my wife at a red light, I know it's coming when I see her casually flip into Sport mode and glance over at the other driver. Then she likes to bait them by giving them about a 20 foot head start before stepping on it. That engine roars and its all over in seconds with the other car just a speck in her rear view mirror. It's nice to see my wife with a huge smile on her face casually say "I like this car."
Appreciate 4
      11-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

I am running CG DS1 Catted Downpipe (200 cell) with full AWE non resonated. I think Fabspeed is 200 cell as well so should sound similar.

CG DS1 is priced a bit more competitively than Fabspeed and has never given me or others a CEL.
It's a very aggressive setup. Easily turns heads if you get on it. Cold starts are insane.
There is minimal flow restriction. AWE uses a helmholtz muffler to maximize volume and minimize drone/restriction.

When it comes to real life drone, the only drone I've experienced is really when the car is cold in comfort/eco mode. Not really an issue if you drive in Sport or Sport+ unless the car is cold.

Keep in mind it's very hard to accurately depict exhausts in videos. You can gauge tone, but volume and aggression level is kinda hard to capture.
My progression has been: MPE --> Resonator Delete --> Catted DP --> AWE Catback. AWE is significantly louder than my old MPE.

I only have a clip of revs in sport mode, no drive by's. If this sounds too raspy or not deep enough for your taste, all you need to do is keep a resonated midpipe.
This is with OEM burbles. I have since turned burbles down quite a bit using BM3. I have also turned Cold Starts on @ 950 RPM.

Last edited by mlev; 11-04-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 2
MAKH 588.50
otay826.00
      12-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #8
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Went ahead and got the Fabspeed Sport Cat and it sounds amazing paired with the AWE exhaust.

I have only had them paired for about a day or two but I've come to the conclusion its a perfect match.

Oddly enough cold starts are so much tamer with the fabspeed. Not sure if thats a result of the step colder spark plugs or flashing stage 2/93 but i was very surprised. Thought maybe cold starts got turned off by accident, went into bootmod3 and turned both cold start settings too OEM but nothing changed. Still very tame compared to what cold starts were like with just the AWE exhaust. Perfect really.

Only drone i've experienced was while pulling out from the shop that installed the downpipe. Car was cold and in comfort mode. Haven't experienced any drone since.

Like previously stated, the exhaust note is deep and powerful. Downpipe definitely added a nice throaty/growl to the already perfect AWE exhaust suite. WOT sounds AMAZING! Really opened up the exhaust flow. Easily noticeable the first time you press on the pedal

Burbles became more pronounced/clear. No muddiness at all. I have them off in comfort but still get some naturally due to the exhaust. But in sport/sport + there set to 0.6 SEC/0.9 AGG [1800-3900 RPM]. Thats absolutely the sweet spot for me. Sounds natural with this setup and still aggressive.

All in all, couldn't be happier with my decision. For me, this is honestly THE perfect combination. I'll probably have some exhaust clips by the weekend.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      12-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
G80S58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Xdrive, X3 M40i LCI

Quote:
Went ahead and got the Fabspeed Sport Cat and it sounds amazing paired with the AWE exhaust.

I have only had them paired for about a day or two but I've come to the conclusion its a perfect match.

Oddly enough cold starts are so much tamer with the fabspeed. Not sure if thats a result of the step colder spark plugs or flashing stage 2/93 but i was very surprised. Thought maybe cold starts got turned off by accident, went into bootmod3 and turned both cold start settings too OEM but nothing changed. Still very tame compared to what cold starts were like with just the AWE exhaust. Perfect really.

Only drone i've experienced was while pulling out from the shop that installed the downpipe. Car was cold and in comfort mode. Haven't experienced any drone since.

Like previously stated, the exhaust note is deep and powerful. Downpipe definitely added a nice throaty/growl to the already perfect AWE exhaust suite. WOT sounds AMAZING! Really opened up the exhaust flow. Easily noticeable the first time you press on the pedal

Burbles became more pronounced/clear. No muddiness at all. I have them off in comfort but still get some naturally due to the exhaust. But in sport/sport + there set to 0.6 SEC/0.9 AGG [1800-3900 RPM]. Thats absolutely the sweet spot for me. Sounds natural with this setup and still aggressive.

All in all, couldn't be happier with my decision. For me, this is honestly THE perfect combination. I'll probably have some exhaust clips by the weekend.
I just got this done myself a few days ago and its really nice. Are you running the AWE midpipe or the stock one?
I flashed it to BM3 S2 as well and did the OTS flash without customizing anything, kept everything to OEM except for the GTS startup roar. Might play around with the burble settings that you mentioned above. 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #10
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAMAZIN View Post
Quote:

I just got this done myself a few days ago and its really nice. Are you running the AWE midpipe or the stock one?
I flashed it to BM3 S2 as well and did the OTS flash without customizing anything, kept everything to OEM except for the GTS startup roar. Might play around with the burble settings that you mentioned above. 👍🏼
AWE mid pipe.

Did you experience the same with cold starts? I find it so strange they were louder before the downpipe hahaa
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #11
G80S58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Xdrive, X3 M40i LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAMAZIN View Post
Quote:

AWE mid pipe.

Did you experience the same with cold starts? I find it so strange they were louder before the downpipe hahaa
Got it, I'm still on the stock MP.
As far as Cold start goes, I think it's about the same as before but once warmed up, it's def louder than before without the Fabspeed DP.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #12
ibazooka
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335Xi, '89 S50 E30,'95 E36

adianshadows: Just got FabSpeed Catted DP installed today & has AWE Catback, waiting on him to chime in!^^
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #13
adianshadows
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 90 325i 92 325i 15 335ix(sold)

Just had the dp installed today by Fabspeed. I am in LOVE with the sound. All the different driving modes sound amazing! I will have more videos later these are just initial ones.
Sport mode-

Comfort mode-

EDIT: GO BIRDS!
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      12-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
T_flare
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I will post mine before Christmas.

Currently have a 435i with awe with midpipe, cts intake, fabspeed catted and er chargepipe fmic
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      12-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
ibazooka
United_States
Rep

Coming soon myself will be Active AutoWerke Catted Downpipe with a custom Muffler Delete retaining the muffler flap (Similar to Fabspeed / VRSF muffler delete but driver side flap still active)

Will be doing a full DIY post as well as youtube videos on the product!

Last edited by ibazooka; 12-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: WOOPSIE
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 01:56 AM   #16
Hirads
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibazooka View Post
Coming soon myself will be AWE Catted Downpipe with a custom Muffler Delete retaining the muffler flap (Similar to Fabspeed / VRSF muffler delete but driver side flap still active)

Will be doing a full DIY post as well as youtube videos on the product!
🤘🏽 looking forward to it
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #17
ibazooka
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirads View Post
🤘🏽 looking forward to it
Will post back in here!
Appreciate 0