F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Robbing the F8x M3 M4 for suspension parts
Studio RSR

08-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #199
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Thanks Eschmacher. I doubt they could be worse than the stock setup, that's for sure. The question for me, I guess, will be are the meyles good enough to forgo the m3 arms and their associated camber change for half the cost.

BTW, anyone here with 19" wheels install the m3 arms? I hear the overall wheel/tire package isn't much larger than the 18s because the 19s tire profile is lower, but I'd hate to buy the parts and get them installed only to find out I don't have enough clearance. I'm stock on m-sport adaptive dampers and springs. Rwd, no plans to lower the car any time soon. If I do, it would only be a 10mm drop via Dinan springs.
Think you might be confusing the tension strut with the lower control arm. The m3/m4 LCA is what provides camber, the m3/m4 tension strut adds caster. So the meyle TS would be something you could do in addition to the m3 LCA or perhaps the kmac camber bushing (which is my plan).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #200
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Think you might be confusing the tension strut with the lower control arm. The m3/m4 LCA is what provides camber, the m3/m4 tension strut adds caster. So the meyle TS would be something you could do in addition to the m3 LCA or perhaps the kmac camber bushing (which is my plan).
OK, yep it's quite confusing sorting out all these suspension bits
The meyle part #s someone mentioned on this page are referred to as lower control arms in the eBay listings. They look more like the thrust arms with their curvy shape though, while the lcas look straight in the product listings
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #201
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
The only other feedback i could find was from e9x guys, and they were very positive. I expect this to be similar to the m3/m4 TS, but with the same geometry as stock.
Thanks Eschmacher. I doubt they could be worse than the stock setup, that's for sure. The question for me, I guess, will be are the meyles good enough to forgo the m3 arms and their associated camber change for half the cost.

BTW, anyone here with 19" wheels install the m3 arms? I hear the overall wheel/tire package isn't much larger than the 18s because the 19s tire profile is lower, but I'd hate to buy the parts and get them installed only to find out I don't have enough clearance. I'm stock on m-sport adaptive dampers and springs. Rwd, no plans to lower the car any time soon. If I do, it would only be a 10mm drop via Dinan springs.
I run the LCAs only and i am stock msport 19 inch. Never any rubbing for me but you can tell the wheel is pushed forward in the wheel well. I am planning to do the TSs as well in the near future with mperf suspension which will drop 10cm.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #202
R32DBP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport, 2004 .:R32T

Garage List
just placed my order for lemforder TS and LCA from onlinecarparts.co.uk. They have a sale going on right now so I ended up getting all 4 arms for my F30 for $400 shipped. A lot better than the $1000 shipped I was about to spend on OEM M3 LCA and Turner Monoball pre installed TS from ECS.

The PNs I ordered are below.

Lemforder 38256 01
Lemforder 38257 01
Lemforder 38258 01
Lemforder 38259 01

Now I just need to order the spacers or probably have them made at my job.

Correct me if I am wrong but its the spacers below for the TS.

spacers from Summit Racing:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYS-100-377-3 2x
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYS-100-377-1 2x

People have mentioned using 2mm spacers on each side as well for the LCAs? So 4x 2mm spacers?

Also, does anyone have the PN for the necessary headlight leveling rod that is needed to use the F8x TS/LCAs?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #203
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
I switched to millway monoball for the tension struts, and very happy with it, significantly more stable in curves and I can't find any increase in NVH.
(I'm on F30 stock LCA and F30 TS with upgraded bushings)

http://www.millway.se/front-control-...w-f2x-f3x.html
How is this compared with the turner monoball? The Millway is solid aluminum that must increase NVH.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #204
SlowF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32DBP View Post
just placed my order for lemforder TS and LCA from onlinecarparts.co.uk. They have a sale going on right now so I ended up getting all 4 arms for my F30 for $400 shipped. A lot better than the $1000 shipped I was about to spend on OEM M3 LCA and Turner Monoball pre installed TS from ECS.

The PNs I ordered are below.

Lemforder 38256 01
Lemforder 38257 01
Lemforder 38258 01
Lemforder 38259 01

Now I just need to order the spacers or probably have them made at my job.

Correct me if I am wrong but its the spacers below for the TS.

spacers from Summit Racing:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYS-100-377-3 2x
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYS-100-377-1 2x

People have mentioned using 2mm spacers on each side as well for the LCAs? So 4x 2mm spacers?

Also, does anyone have the PN for the necessary headlight leveling rod that is needed to use the F8x TS/LCAs?

How did this setup work out for you ? I just ordered m3 arms and want to do m3 TS also.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:54 AM   #205
madriz
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i f32

What Ts do they provide?

with the ts, does the wheel go back somewhat? or only with spacers?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 01:24 AM   #206
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madriz View Post
What Ts do they provide?

F80 tension struts do nothing for wheel position
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #207
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
What Ts do they provide?

I've heard that the M3 LCA/TS move the wheel forward within the wheel well... is this not correct from your experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #208
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
I've heard that the M3 LCA/TS move the wheel forward within the wheel well... is this not correct from your experience?
That's correct, but even then I'm still able to fit my 255/40/18 summer and track tire in the front wheel well without rubbing.

I'm also able to fit my 235/45/18 winter tire in the front wheel well without rubbing.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      01-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #209
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What Ts do they provide?

The LCA move the wheel in the arch quite a bit, up to a point where it was rubbing on my car;
But the TS does nothing to correct this, which is what i was referring to.

I think these LCA are not designed for our cars and we should opt for camber plates, i bought the millway street camber plates which are similar in design to OEM and avoid all those headaches of wheel not being where it's supposed to with the F80 LCA

If you think about the geometry of suspension, it's totally wrong to put LCA of the wrong length, since the wheel moves fwd, it makes the lateral thrust force push not against an LCA directly facing it, but at an angle instead, and i think that's weakening it a lot.

On top of that if you're somewhat lower it's going to rub at the front.

And to finish it, you may be at the end of the steering rack thread when aligning with the wider track width.

I tried, and i've come back from that
sspade2464.50
      01-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #210
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
The LCA move the wheel in the arch quite a bit, up to a point where it was rubbing on my car;

I think these LCA are not designed for our cars and we should opt for camber plates, i bought the millway street camber plates which are similar in design to OEM and avoid all those headaches of wheel not being where it's supposed to with the F80 LCA

If you think about the geometry of suspension, it's totally wrong to put LCA of the wrong length, since the wheel moves fwd, it makes the lateral thrust force push not against an LCA directly facing it, but at an angle instead, and i think that's weakening it a lot.

And to finish it, you may be at the end of the steering rack thread when aligning with the wider track width.

The TS does change wheel position. Installing them eliminated rubbing on the front of the inner wheel well. It pulled the wheel backward and widened the track slightly and then rubbed on the outer fender. Increased caster is what causes rubbing on extremes of steering lock, the TS also reduced mine by over half a degree and increased the bite on my tie rod ends once I had it aligned. I am running 8.5 et38 wheels with a 256 measured tire, which needs a lot of accommodation to fit with or without the LCAs.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i

Last edited by MacklinUSOB; 01-27-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #211
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Quote:

The TS does change wheel position. Installing it eliminated rubbing on the front of the inner wheel well. It pulled the wheel backward and widened the track slightly and then rubbed on the outer fender. Increased caster is what causes rubbing on extremes of steering lock, the TS also reduced mine by over half a degree and increased the bite on my tie rod ends. I am running 8.5 et38 wheels with a 256 measured tire.

I have both the Millway plates and the F80 LCA and TS.
Let's agree to disagree then, on my car that was a waste of money and time, those TS didn't change the geometry by a millimeter, can't explain why - unless Euro and US specs differ?
      01-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #212
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Let's agree to disagree then, on my car that was a waste of money and time, those TS didn't change the geometry by a millimeter, can't explain why - unless Euro and US specs differ?
Perfectly fine. I know this to be the case because I spent about two months with my fender linings coated with painters tape to track rubbing. Changes in caster may not appear to influence geometry with the wheels dead on, but certainly does progressively as lock is added. Similarly, Farkle was having rubbing issues with the F80 LCAs, but once he reduced his caster (from around 8.5* to 8* just like the TS do), albeit with a eccentric bushing method, his also went away.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i

Last edited by MacklinUSOB; 01-27-2020 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #213
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
I'm now through all 10 pages but just found one describtion of the driving experiance on motorways. Sorry for digging out this old thread but now since my warranty has expired I want to do this modification too, meaning the F80 TS and LCA, no bushings but spacers.
Will this setup worsen the driving with higher speeds on the motorway?
Thanks for sharing your experiances.
      09-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #214
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWbimmer View Post
I'm now through all 10 pages but just found one describtion of the driving experiance on motorways. Sorry for digging out this old thread but now since my warranty has expired I want to do this modification too, meaning the F80 TS and LCA, no bushings but spacers.
I have the f80 lcas and tss. I love the mod, however there is certainly a bit more nvh transmitted through the steering wheel and in general which gets worse as vehicle speed increases. Makes sense because road feel is one key reason to do this mod so take the bad with the good.

Do i regret it? No not at all. If you are expecting a luxury car soft ride feel on the highway i would avoid ts change for sure. If you want sharper turn in and more road feel, this is a great mod for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #215
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

So for the F30 RWD guys, both the F80 M3 LCA and TS were swapped? Swapping the bushing will prevent the need of spacers?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #216
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiswurm View Post
I have the f80 lcas and tss. I love the mod, however there is certainly a bit more nvh transmitted through the steering wheel and in general which gets worse as vehicle speed increases. Makes sense because road feel is one key reason to do this mod so take the bad with the good.

Do i regret it? No not at all. If you are expecting a luxury car soft ride feel on the highway i would avoid ts change for sure. If you want sharper turn in and more road feel, this is a great mod for you.
Thank for your insight. Last question, how about tire rubbing?
      10-16-2020, 12:29 AM   #217
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
In my experience, it will not make it worse by much. Even in city driving with not so great roads.

However, the increase negative camber and steering feel will improve significantly.
Appreciate 1
BWbimmer276.50
      10-16-2020, 04:41 AM   #218
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank for your insight. Last question, how about tire rubbing?
I get very, very alight rubbing on the front wheel well lining if suspension compresses while turning. Barely noticeable. I cant hear or feel it. I just see a little scuffing on the plastic lining.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:44 AM   #219
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
In my experience, it will not make it worse by much. Even in city driving with not so great roads.

However, the increase negative camber and steering feel will improve significantly.
I have to disagree a little from my experience. I do get a bit more nvh through the steering wheel at speeds over 80mph. Performance and tracking are no affected at all but there is definitely an nvh consequence in my car. Thats said i dont regret the mod at all. After solid rear subfeame bushings, these are still my favorite mod. Steering feel is vastly improved. If youre not sensitive to a little nvh do it and never look back. If you are, then dont do it and look at the camber correction hub solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #220
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have to disagree a little from my experience. I do get a bit more nvh through the steering wheel at speeds over 80mph. Performance and tracking are no affected at all but there is definitely an nvh consequence in my car. Thats said i dont regret the mod at all. After solid rear subfeame bushings, these are still my favorite mod. Steering feel is vastly improved. If youre not sensitive to a little nvh do it and never look back. If you are, then dont do it and look at the camber correction hub solution.
Are you on run flat tires or non run flat tires?

My front suspension modifications are:

F80 LCA
F80 Thurst Arms
Wheel hub/carriers for an additional -.5 degrees of camber
M Performance suspension kit
square 255/40/18 MPS4S previously and now Conti ExtremeContact Sport

I don't feel like NVH has increased that much from the F80 parts alone.
Appreciate 0