F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > property market
GetBMWParts

05-04-2021, 05:50 AM   #67
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
whats that new Lotus hypercar called again
I am pretty sure the next car will be some flavour of Caterham, I was going down to Crawley this morning to possibly get the ball rolling but have been tied up with the Estate Agent.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:05 AM   #68
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
I got out of property ownership a couple of years ago… and, for me, and my circumstances, it suits me just fine to rent…
Which is fair enough but long-term isn't that a relatively expensive way to put a roof over your head? We've a number of rental properties in our village which belong to a local estate and even the small cottages let for around £800/month; the larger houses are more like £2k/month and even if interest rates edge up a bit you can service a pretty big mortgage for that!

Quote:
… and if, in future, I decided to buy again, then it will be a “forever” home and I know that search might take quite some time… In fact, I would ideally have something built to my requirements… Not massive or huge, but definitely a candidate for “Grand Designs”…. and it would be in a quiet area in its own land where I can pretty much be sure of my peace…
Totally get where you're coming from there! Problem is, these nice plots in a good location are like rocking horse droppings and if you find one you'll probably be in competition with a builder who'll more than likely outbid you because they want to put three or four houses on a plot where you want to put one!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:15 AM   #69
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Which is fair enough but long-term isn't that a relatively expensive way to put a roof over your head? We've a number of rental properties in our village which belong to a local estate and even the small cottages let for around £800/month; the larger houses are more like £2k/month and even if interest rates edge up a bit you can service a pretty big mortgage for that!

Totally get where you're coming from there! Problem is, these nice plots in a good location are like rocking horse droppings and if you find one you'll probably be in competition with a builder who'll more than likely outbid you because they want to put three or four houses on a plot where you want to put one!
I am always amazed at the significant amount of people in this country that are happy just to rent.

I have a property that has been rented to a guy for over 3 years now at £2700 per month, which is very rare, as the majority of property rentals at this higher price point are usually used as a stop gap for maybe a year or 18 months at most.

This particular guy is in his 40's and has what appears to be a very good job in computing paying over £140k per year. I think some people have just been bought up within the 'Rental Culture' and like the ease of operation despite the financial cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:27 AM   #70
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
I am always amazed at the significant amount of people in this country that are happy just to rent.

I have a property that has been rented to a guy for over 3 years now at £2700 per month, which is very rare, as the majority of property rentals at this higher price point are usually used as a stop gap for maybe a year or 18 months at most.

This particular guy is in his 40's and has what appears to be a very good job in computing paying over £140k per year. I think some people have just been bought up within the 'Rental Culture' and like the ease of operation despite the financial cost.
I can relate to the first comment - mine rents at £1500 a month (which in Derbyshire make it expensive) and I tend to get people who arent sure what they want to do and stay for 2 years or so....

I rented for a while when I moved south, I loved the fact that someone else had to fix everything! Never felt like home though, perhaps because we always knew it was a stop gap (as it was the landlords home and he had gone travelling for a year plus!)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #71
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Maybe I am lucky, but (unless I am missing something) there is no way I could be in the house I am in for the money I am paying in rent if I had to get a mortgage (assuming I could get one with combination of age/circumstances) and then pay for the maintenance & insurance etc... But then I am certainly not paying anything like £2k/month for my place...

So, shhh, don't tell my landlord what those properties around you are going for...

Quote:
Indeed... and then there's the complication if the location you find happens to be in the National Park boundaries... Not sure they are looking for concrete brutalist low rise dwellings hidden away in Farndale (for instance)...

Right now, I am here because of circumstances... In 10 years, who knows... not making major plans just yet...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #72
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I suspect that a lot of it comes down to a couple of main things... an inability to get a mortgage (and there can be many reasons why lenders are unprepared to lend - imagine what the accounts of many self-employed folk are looking like after the last 14 months if their lines of work ave effectively been shut down) and/or an unwillingness to commit long term to owning a property and paying for it on a mortgage (which does tie you in through thick and thin)...

Now, in my circumstances, I am most definitely not anywhere near that sort of rent that you quote there... but I have found a nice/largeish house in a nice village in an area where I want to be right now, so I am happy to rent it for a prolonged period.. It just suits me to do so... and sometimes you are just happy to pay for that convenience (albeit I don't think I could have bought this and keep up the maintenance/insurance for what I pay in rent)...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #73
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I rented for a while when I moved south, I loved the fact that someone else had to fix everything! Never felt like home though, perhaps because we always knew it was a stop gap (as it was the landlords home and he had gone travelling for a year plus!)
It's funny, but I have started to think of mine as a home now... even though it is rented... but, having said that, that feeling of home can feel odd to me as I travelled extensively for my work over the years and effectively lived in hotels 6 months of the year... so the flat I wound never really felt like home...

ETTO as we keep saying...

(to anybody who thinks living in hotels would be fun, I would definitely go for it in some of the properties I frequented over the years where the folk who work there have become friends and maybe you could do a deal... Wasn't;t there somebody who lived in a TravelLodge a could of years ago..???)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #74
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It's funny, but I have started to think of mine as a home now... even though it is rented... but, having said that, that feeling of home can feel odd to me as I travelled extensively for my work over the years and effectively lived in hotels 6 months of the year... so the flat I wound never really felt like home...

(to anybody who thinks living in hotels would be fun, I would definitely go for it in some of the properties I frequented over the years where the folk who work there have become friends and maybe you could do a deal... Wasn't;t there somebody who lived in a TravelLodge a could of years ago..???)
Yep, without a sizeable deposit, you can rent cheaper than you can own on a monthly basis, just nothing to show for it at the end of the day, but if you dont have kids does that really matter....?

We have just had a member of staff retire who had lived in staff quarters in one of our central London hotels for something like 30 years, at a ludicrous cost (like a few pounds a week)

I did live in one of our hotels for a couple of weeks courtesy of the builders whilst they tried again to fix my floors, fortunately the General Manager took pity on me and gave me an Apartment Suite with a kitchen and separate lounge. It was nicer than home....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #75
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yep, without a sizeable deposit, you can rent cheaper than you can own on a monthly basis, just nothing to show for it at the end of the day, but if you dont have kids does that really matter....?
Exactly, all comes down to one's own circumstances... and, you are right that I have no kids to factor into the equation... (although, to be fair, ain't too many of todays youngsters going to inherit much from their folk... Average wages still less than £30k...)...

Quote:
We have just had a member of staff retire who had lived in staff quarters in one of our central London hotels for something like 30 years, at a ludicrous cost (like a few pounds a week)
Well, I would happily live in one of your fine establishments for a few quid a week... does that include daily service...?

Quote:
I did live in one of our hotels for a couple of weeks courtesy of the builders whilst they tried again to fix my floors, fortunately the General Manager took pity on me and gave me an Apartment Suite with a kitchen and separate lounge. It was nicer than home....
Yeah, I have a few of my regular properties that really look after me.. like my booking the absolute cheapest rooms and them installing me in three room suites with fridge, microwave, dining tables, sofas... You are in the hospitality trade.. you know how it is... as a client, my attitude is that being a super friendly understanding nice person has got me way more out of any travel partners than being a "do you know who I am" type (to which the answer normally is "does anybody know who this person is, they appear to have forgotten"..)... never expect and always be thankful if something great happens...

I am about 2 nights off lifetime HH Diamond now, so am wondering which chain to go for next...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #76
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
I am pretty sure the next car will be some flavour of Caterham, I was going down to Crawley this morning to possibly get the ball rolling but have been tied up with the Estate Agent.
If you do start seriously looking and want any guidance, feel free to PM me.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 2
Sennen1730.50
JustChris17483.00
      05-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #77
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, all comes down to one's own circumstances... and, you are right that I have no kids to factor into the equation... (although, to be fair, ain't too many of todays youngsters going to inherit much from their folk... Average wages still less than £30k...)...

Well, I would happily live in one of your fine establishments for a few quid a week... does that include daily service...?

Yeah, I have a few of my regular properties that really look after me.. like my booking the absolute cheapest rooms and them installing me in three room suites with fridge, microwave, dining tables, sofas... You are in the hospitality trade.. you know how it is... as a client, my attitude is that being a super friendly understanding nice person has got me way more out of any travel partners than being a "do you know who I am" type (to which the answer normally is "does anybody know who this person is, they appear to have forgotten"..)... never expect and always be thankful if something great happens...

I am about 2 nights off lifetime HH Diamond now, so am wondering which chain to go for next...
There will be lots of todays youngsters do well out of inheritance if they can keep parents out of care homes and Rishi doesnt clobber them with IHT rates....but it will be perpetuating the haves v havenots....

Nope, I cant get that (and we have just stopped giving free rooms to Execs who live miles away and stay over Mon to Thursday, they can pay like everyone else or get a flat now!)

Being nice is always the best route, upgrades for us tend to be people who tell us they are booking for a special reason (big birthday, wedding anni, retirement or whatever) as if its a special day why not make it really special.

You could collect reward points with us except we dont have one, given we only really currently have hotels in London its probably not going to prove decisive in your booking decision. Now if you want a room in London I can do mates rates which this year are silly cheap!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #78
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
If you do start seriously looking and want any guidance, feel free to PM me.
That is very kind Grant, i think I have decided on the spec now and the choice is really between the the 420 & 620, I am currently coming down on the side of the 420 but i think I need to get down to Crawley in the next couple of weeks to get a better handle on things.

Not 100% sure of the lead times either as there seems to be conflicting info flying about, ideally i would like to take delivery Spring next year.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #79
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

i have always said to my Tennants it is my House but your Home.

I have a couple of Tennants that have been with me for donkeys years and I could probably get another 25% if I was to turf them out but I would much rather a Tennant that I dont hear a squeak out of, who deals with most problems themselves as opposed to the 'Needy' type who is paying top $ but is phoning me up every few days.

Too many Landlords chase the buck but to me a good Tennant is worth their weight in gold and worth looking after.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18750.00
      05-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #80
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I have a couple of Tennants that have been with me for donkeys years and I could probably get another 25% if I was to turf them out but I would much rather a Tennant that I dont hear a squeak out of, who deals with most problems themselves as opposed to the 'Needy' type who is paying top $ but is phoning me up every few days.

Too many Landlords chase the buck but to me a good Tennant is worth their weight in gold and worth looking after.
Indeed, I always try to get stuff sorted asap and leave them to enjoy it. And the simple rule I apply is that if you sign a contract for 6 months or more I wont put the rent up....

For me its more about it making a small amount now (as the tax man takes too much) but being a good supplement to my pension when the tax man is taking less of my income....so keep it well maintained and looking good now and hope it needs less spending in future
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #81
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
That is very kind Grant, i think I have decided on the spec now and the choice is really between the the 420 & 620, I am currently coming down on the side of the 420 but i think I need to get down to Crawley in the next couple of weeks to get a better handle on things.

Not 100% sure of the lead times either as there seems to be conflicting info flying about, ideally i would like to take delivery Spring next year.

Good luck.

If you want any info, drop me a PM

(assuming you're going for factory build, then 9 months to a year is about right)
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #82
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I would say that my Landlord is similar in attitude to yourself...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #83
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
I can understand why you decided to sell, makes a lot of sense.
I've been tempted over the years but can't quite bring myself to do it. I only ever go there out of season when it's at its best and not overrun. Talking to neighbours, it's getting busy already so G*d knows what it'll be like this summer, if last year is anything to go by - like a permanent BH weekend, I'm told.
There have been some significant developments this morning Tordmordenlad another substantially increased offer has been received from one of the initial 3.

I would not usually get involved with this type of behaviour as a seller but all 3 involved are purchasing as a second home so i am going to squeeze them for every penny i can get

Estate Agent thinks it is going to end up well North of 1 million
Blimey, you've done alright there, nice one
Judging by your forum name, I'm assuming this property is somewhere west of Penzance?
      05-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #84
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I can confirm the market is crazy. We offered £50k over the valuation for a property in Scotland and were not successful!
I thought we were being daft with the offer, but clearly not daft enough!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18750.00
      05-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #85
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Judging by your forum name, I'm assuming this property is somewhere west of Penzance?
Yes it is within a stones throw of Lands End, a beautiful and wild part of Cornwall, I shall miss it.

I feel like Dell & Rodney at the moment when they sold the pocket watch at auction!!!! The two parties have gone into a bidding frenzy. I am going to suggest to the EA tomorrow that we give them until midday Friday as a deadline and get a £100k non refundable deposit off the winning party.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #86
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Quote:
Yes it is within a stones throw of Lands End, a beautiful and wild part of Cornwall, I shall miss it.

I feel like Dell & Rodney at the moment when they sold the pocket watch at auction!!!! The two parties have gone into a bidding frenzy. I am going to suggest to the EA tomorrow that we give them until midday Friday as a deadline and get a £100k non refundable deposit off the winning party.
We must be near neighbours then as my place is in Sennen, your namesake
      05-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #87
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I can confirm the market is crazy. We offered £50k over the valuation for a property in Scotland and were not successful!
That is madness!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #88
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
That is madness!
In Scotland, the asking / survey price tends to be a starting point, and the successful offer generally is >> than this.
whereas my understanding in England is the asking price is generally an (upper?) estimate of what the seller hopes to get, and the sale price is usually < than the asking price...

So the market is slightly different across the border to my knowledge
Appreciate 0