F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Used cars prices are going bonkers!
Studio RSR

06-24-2021, 06:38 AM   #67
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
I've just got out of mine via Motorway. WBAC /Motorway were £500 apart - just hope that the pickup goes smooth without deductions.

Tried to sell back in August, just sold yesterday for 18% more despite mileage going up 1,500 since - as I'm confirmed to be WFH till at least October I've got plenty of time to find something else.

I'll just have to get used to slumming it in the dog wagon if we need to go out!
How did this go?

I had Motorway offer me a very compelling offer for the M4… i’ll be back to commuting from next week - in an Audi S5… so in two minds now whether to keep the M4 - with a major service and road tax due soon!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:43 AM   #68
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
True, and that's probably the way it will go. But you could also buy it from me (one of the only G31 540's with adaptive drive) for even more money and I'd have more to spend!
Tell me more... But it's that £6k I'm looking to save when I move forward.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:28 AM   #69
nawz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 440i

How much you reckon I could get for my 440i? Mileage is 15,000 registered in April 2018.

I have made 2 modifications to the vehicle:
1. Gloss black front grills
2. Changed the m sport front bumper to an aftermarket "M4 style" front bumper which has been painted, fitted and supplied by "Mstyle". As a result you won't see the fog lights but they are still operational.

Below is the full spec:
Here is the spec:
Bmw 440i gran coupe
Carbon Black
19" bicolour orbit grey 704 M double spoke
M Sport braking system
Adaptive M sport suspension
Variable sport steering
Reversing assist camera
Sun protection glass
Exterior mirrors folding with anti dazzle
Split folding rear seats
Sport seats front
Anthracite wood interior with pearl
Led fog lights front (*** IMPORTANT SEE NOTES ***)
High beam assistant
Driving assistant
Surround view
Park assist
Heads up display
Harmon kardon
Concierge service
Apple car play
Enhance Bluetooth and wireless charging
Digital cockpit
WiFi hotspot preparation
M steering wheel
M aerodynamic styling
Exterior trim high gloss shadow line
Headlining anthracite
Speed limit display
Advanced parking package
Dynamic package
Innovation package
M sport plus package
Ivory white dakota leather
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #70
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawz View Post
How much you reckon I could get for my 440i? Mileage is 15,000 registered in April 2018.

2. Changed the m sport front bumper to an aftermarket "M4 style" front bumper which has been painted, fitted and supplied by "Mstyle". As a result you won't see the fog lights but they are still operational.

Below is the full spec:
Here is the spec:
Bmw 440i gran coupe
Carbon Black
M Sport braking system
Variable sport steering
Reversing assist camera
Sun protection glass
Split folding rear seats
Sport seats front
High beam assistant
Driving assistant
Surround view
Park assist
Heads up display
Harmon kardon
Concierge service
Apple car play
Digital cockpit
WiFi hotspot preparation
M steering wheel
M aerodynamic styling
Headlining anthracite
Speed limit display
Advanced parking package
Dynamic package
Innovation package
M sport plus package
Stick your reg in WBAC and see what it says. I'd change the front bumper back though, I reckon that one will reduce the value....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #71
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Same here , but I used wizzle.

Pick up next week - like you, I hope they don't deduct too much on pick up. Worst case, they have to walk away and we go back to WBAC.

All going well, we are looking at £3.5k profit. 🤞
I tried wizzle last year, but the dealer wanted no services due for 6 months and if there were was going to deduct full retail price from offer at pickup. Ended up telling them where to go because they only offered what they did because they intended to scalp me.

Fine to charge the service at cost but not full markup.

Lets hope we both have a good pickup and handover
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2763.00
      06-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #72
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
I think the majority of those trading in are thinking, correctly, that the used car market is at a high and as they don't need a car, or haven't used it really in the past 12+ months, get the cash now and sit on it for a while (maybe even invest it and gain on it rather than losing it in a depreciating asset).

Come 6 months time, when they need a car, prices should be back to normal and then they'll get another.

Armaan
This was my circumstance. Two cars in the household. Im home based for at least another three months as of this morning and most of the time I would use it to go to the airport and back - which I can taxi.

The other addition for me is I bought a diesel, my mileage dropped significantly before covid, went off a cliff during covid and if I needed to go anywhere I could rent a car for a few days which would be alot less than my depreciation/road tax/insurance during the same period.

Besides, looking for more of a driver car next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:15 AM   #73
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Well we are going to sell Mrs225 car in a week or so looks like we are hopefully going to time I well.

We put a 4k deposit in 3 years ago to get cheap monthlies on a 0% deal with a good discount as well. Last quote from motorway would mean getting about 4700 equity back!
Last year we had no equity in it and thought about just buying it outright for a few years.

Managed to get a good deal on lease so fingers crossed it will work out.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:17 AM   #74
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
How did this go?

I had Motorway offer me a very compelling offer for the M4… i’ll be back to commuting from next week - in an Audi S5… so in two minds now whether to keep the M4 - with a major service and road tax due soon!
Really easy - unlike Wizzle it seems they don't have dealers apply rules after bids (with wizzle they bid then send you all the dealer terms about servicing, tyres, windscreen MOT etc) - Motorway process and photos covers that up front (so should wizzle, but apparently not)

I didn't get as much as I hoped (do you ever?) but it was a little bit above the Motorway valuation. Dealer emailed the next day for a few more photos and bank details, waiting for the collection firm to book in collection. Was hoping it would be gone by the end of the week...will let you know!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #75
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawz View Post

Below is the full spec:
Here is the spec:
Bmw 440i gran coupe
Carbon Black
M Sport braking system
Variable sport steering
Reversing assist camera
Sun protection glass
Split folding rear seats
Sport seats front
High beam assistant
Driving assistant
Surround view
Park assist
Heads up display
Harmon kardon
Concierge service
Apple car play
Digital cockpit
WiFi hotspot preparation
M steering wheel
M aerodynamic styling
Headlining anthracite
Speed limit display
Advanced parking package
Dynamic package
Innovation package
M sport plus package
You can list it as-is on motorway and see if any dealers bite. The process of going through motorway will give you a no obligation idea of what its worth.

Do agree it'd be worth more if the original bumper is put back on though
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #76
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
How did this go?

Think you have answered your own question there.....

compelling offer
big expense looming
commute in the Audi
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #77
nawz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 440i

Thanks all. I'll get my car cleaned and put it on motorway. Cba changing the front bumper now.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #78
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
Really easy - unlike Wizzle it seems they don't have dealers apply rules after bids (with wizzle they bid then send you all the dealer terms about servicing, tyres, windscreen MOT etc) - Motorway process and photos covers that up front (so should wizzle, but apparently not)

I didn't get as much as I hoped (do you ever?) but it was a little bit above the Motorway valuation. Dealer emailed the next day for a few more photos and bank details, waiting for the collection firm to book in collection. Was hoping it would be gone by the end of the week...will let you know!
Thanks - yes they seem pretty efficient, i’ve provided about 20 pictures and mention the service due - but i’ve just done its first MOT with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Think you have answered your own question there.....

compelling offer
big expense looming
commute in the Audi
Part of me doesnt want to regret getting rid - as literally if i was ordering new would be the same spec…. But then once back in the office will never get used - and literally cheapest car ownership ever!!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #79
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

It was just good timing for me, I'd had my 420i for 30 months so was due a change. At Christmas I was looking at waiting for VT as I was in negative equity, 5 months later I'm £3.5k positive. I paid a little more for my M135i because it had a 8 week lead time instead of 4-6 months quoted by Park Lane.

Sold my car on the 8th, it's gone up another £800 since.

Last edited by un1eash; 06-24-2021 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #80
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

So how long do we think this period of inflated prices will last?

Is it purely temporary?

Will it deflate quickly or slowly?

I wonder how much is due to semi-conductor shortages, how much is down to all the list production last year in the first lock downs, and how much is due to all the extra money folk have saved over the last year.

I think each has to be a factor because all levels of the market have been affected.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
g9icy339.50
      06-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #81
speedski
Major
Rep

I think it'll be 12+ months before it even starts to recover - but it will only do so for the lower spec cars initially.

The problem then will be following that when the cars coming out right now with low specs will flood the used market and the lower prices will rapidly reset.

The lease market is also struggling with deals - they don't need them - but there are alot of people on very cheap leases right now who are going to be in a right tough place when it comes up for renewals (formal extensions on existing seem to be coming through 40-50% higher than current for those trying).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #82
stevei
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport+

I've had BMW on the phone offering to buy my car off me when my new one comes.
I'll hear them out but obviously go with the highest bidder.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 03:26 AM   #83
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
So how long do we think this period of inflated prices will last?

Is it purely temporary?

Will it deflate quickly or slowly?

I wonder how much is due to semi-conductor shortages, how much is down to all the list production last year in the first lock downs, and how much is due to all the extra money folk have saved over the last year.

I think each has to be a factor because all levels of the market have been affected.
I think, presently, it is a combination of two factors... Back in April, the manufacturers and dealers were starting to ramp up after covid in both new car sales and used (where they had allowed stocks to dwindle) at just about the time the first rumblings of the impact of the chip shortage on cars were coming in (if you were looking for a playstation or graphics card, you already knew) and the factories were not up to being able to fulfil the demand... So, a small shift in supply/demand had a butterfly effect...

The impact now is another tough year for the dealers... and so I can see, longer term, a desire to claw back some of the losses incurred in staying afloat...

Discounts, for instance, do not seem to be available now like they were in April (assuming that was to stimulate trade)... They cannot get all the cars they would like, so the ones they do get they are not going to let go with deeper discounts...

So, a slow deflation on the price to buy but, I suspect, more of a pop on prices paid for trade ins etc... widen the gap to increase margins and start to claw back...

I don't know too many folk who have saved money over the last year or so, despite shut downs and lock downs... I am sure that has something to do with some folks' buying power, but others, like me, will be the same.. Sure, I spent less, but I had far less coming in... so pretty neutral for me on initial budgets...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #84
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Had an interesting chat with the local MD bodyshop director yesterday when I was out getting the old tyres back and having them look at the keying damage. He was saying they're flat out at the moment fixing cars that were coming to them from the MD that ordinarily would be punted straight to auction but instead are now being sold by the dealer as they just can't get stock. Apparently the various trade auctions etc are going for £2-3k over book which is why Arnold Clark have started offering £500 over book to people selling their cars as it's still cheaper than paying the auction prices at the moment. He doesn't see it calming down any time soon as the dealers are looking at this being a fairly long term problem. Apparently a lot of the rental companies like Enterprise have also been keeping their vehicles longer as they didn't see so much use last year, and as that's another source of nearly new cars to the dealers, it's another hit they've taken to their sources.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18748.50
      06-27-2021, 07:58 AM   #85
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

And strangely a 7 series! He's tempted by some of the crazy offers on them at the moment!
Clearly a man of fine taste and a good choice, go test drive one they are superb and completely different to the rest of BMW range in terms of build quality, I'm on the edge myself I have my perfect spec just pausing for thought.
      06-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #86
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
I think, presently, it is a combination of two factors... Back in April, the manufacturers and dealers were starting to ramp up after covid in both new car sales and used (where they had allowed stocks to dwindle) at just about the time the first rumblings of the impact of the chip shortage on cars were coming in (if you were looking for a playstation or graphics card, you already knew) and the factories were not up to being able to fulfil the demand... So, a small shift in supply/demand had a butterfly effect...

The impact now is another tough year for the dealers... and so I can see, longer term, a desire to claw back some of the losses incurred in staying afloat...

Discounts, for instance, do not seem to be available now like they were in April (assuming that was to stimulate trade)... They cannot get all the cars they would like, so the ones they do get they are not going to let go with deeper discounts...

So, a slow deflation on the price to buy but, I suspect, more of a pop on prices paid for trade ins etc... widen the gap to increase margins and start to claw back...

I don't know too many folk who have saved money over the last year or so, despite shut downs and lock downs... I am sure that has something to do with some folks' buying power, but others, like me, will be the same.. Sure, I spent less, but I had far less coming in... so pretty neutral for me on initial budgets...
The issues for the car manufacturers started in March 2020 when they cancelled buy contacts on chips not this year, during 2020 chip demand went through the roof utter madness (it wasn't a small shift in demand I can assure you) as people needed tech devices to function, they are now at the back of a long queue and their chips aren't profitable or volume so they are in the shit for some time, they are minnows in terms of chip volume.

The used car stock wasn't allowed to tumble it was a natural outcome due to the lack of car purchases during 2020 as one sale feeds the other.

Forget dealers they don't give you the discount their margins are tight from the get go, the manufacturers offer the support and they are looking for profit not volume they cannot sell an EV for 25k and deliver the same car that they did as an ICE the maths doesn't work, hell they couldn't make money on a 25k ICE car never mind an EV.

Used ICE cars will get more expensive as the new EV market takes over abet at a new higher entry level creating the space below it, get used to used cars being more expensive and that's not a bad thing.

Last edited by Wills2; 06-27-2021 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 03:32 AM   #87
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
And strangely a 7 series! He's tempted by some of the crazy offers on them at the moment!
Clearly a man of fine taste and a good choice, go test drive one they are superb and completely different to the rest of BMW range in terms of build quality, I'm on the edge myself I have my perfect spec just pausing for thought.
Does this mean the Golf is potentially on its way then? If so that hasn't lasted long - or maybe it has and time is just going by much more quickly as I get older!
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      06-28-2021, 08:28 AM   #88
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
How did this go?

Guy just been to collect - quick inspection, can see its cared for, checked a few bits to confirm and told the dealer to wire the money.

Money wired, docs and keys handed over.

He has to go drop off another car, then come back and take this one home with him tonight before delivering it to the buying dealer tomorrow.

Thats quite evil, as I now have to look at it on my drive for the next three or so hours knowing its no longer mine.

Gutted, but here's to something bit less float at the front and with petrol poke (as I simply don't do the miles to justify derv anymore...).

Very very impressed with Motorway it has to be said...
Appreciate 1
Grant_72020.50