F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Ceramic Coating
GetBMWParts

07-12-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Ceramic Coating

Hi all

I’m going to get the M5 detailed which will consist of a 2 stage polish and I’m wondering whether ceramic coating is worth while? The detailer uses Gyeon products which appear pretty decent but never having had a ceramic coating not sure whether it’s worth it….???

Opinions welcomed!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

My only comment is you need to be clear what you want/expect a ceramic coating to do; if your main goal is to make the car easier to wash then yes they work but if you're hoping they're going to prevent swirls and scratches you might be disappointed. Furthermore, if you're the sort of person who's likely to be bothered by aforesaid swirls and scratches you also need to be aware that getting the paint back to standard is less straightforward - and hence more expensive - than with a conventional wax. Obviously how much the ceramic coating is going to cost and how long you intend to keep the car also comes into it as well!

Have a read of the thread below which includes the opinion of an experienced detailer....

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1590057
Appreciate 4
Rathian153.50
Wills28656.00
      07-12-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
I've had 3 year ceramic coating on my car for 3 years. If you hand wash your car regularly I highly recommend it. It'll cut your wash time in half, it'll make normally hard things to get off like bug guts and bird turds easy to take off. After a wash the car looks like you spent 3 hours alone in waxing. I've had a thick layer of pollen just fly right off on a drive. Having said all that, you do have to wash the car regularly. A quick dip into a touchless car wash is good but a really good handwash and dry will look amazing.

It's not going to protect your car from rock chips or major scratches but it will help with swirls but it's by no means a be all end all and you have to have a good washing technique. There are self-healing coatings that on a hot day and in the sun will heal itself.

If I was to go back to the beginning with my car I would have put a paint protection film on it and ceramic coating.
Appreciate 2
Rathian153.50
johnung4528.00
      07-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdnb View Post
It's not going to protect your car from rock chips or major scratches but it will help with swirls but it's by no means a be all end all and you have to have a good washing technique. There are self-healing coatings that on a hot day and in the sun will heal itself.
Even with a good washing technique - snow foam, two bucket method, etc - my experience is you can still end-up with swirls notwithstanding a ceramic coating. Admittedly the colour of my car (Tanzanite Blue) makes them more noticeable than they would be on, say, white or silver but the marks are there even though I think I'm more careful than many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdnb View Post
If I was to go back to the beginning with my car I would have put a paint protection film on it and ceramic coating.
This is probably the best solution if you want protection from scratches and swirls as well as a car that's relatively easy to keep clean - comes at a price though!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I have had my last three cars done. I havent kept any for particularly long and only had the Crystal Serum light not the professional stuff but for a few hundred quid on a car that costs a lot more than that they are worth their money for helping it stay clean longer, helping the man who applied it come and do the maintenance washes and providing some protection from swirls and damage.

I'm not in the OCD class though when it comes to paint, its a car and it sits outside all the time..... But to me well worth it....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 01:01 PM   #6
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

I've had it done professionally on two cars, a 5 and a 4 series. The last time, the detailer used Kamikaze products and the results on Carbon Black were impressive.
I have had two cars since and haven't bothered with either. Admittedly, neither are what you'd called premium. Instead, I've prepared the paintwork to a reasonable standard when new and applied Gtechniq C2V3 sealant. A budget approach but its worked just fine. The cars have been easier to wash as a result, and the paintwork has always looked good. The sealant can be reapplied from time to time.
Nothing truly protects the top coat from swirls, chips etc unless you apply film, which I've never even considered, tbh.
      07-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
Hi all

I’m going to get the M5 detailed which will consist of a 2 stage polish and I’m wondering whether ceramic coating is worth while? The detailer uses Gyeon products which appear pretty decent but never having had a ceramic coating not sure whether it’s worth it….???

Opinions welcomed!
Ceramic coating makes a huge difference especially on black cars that are always outside. Best to spend the money and get a multilayer which will last years longer
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #8
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks chaps…..bit of a mixed bag of responses, so still confused on whether to shell out for it or not 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #9
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

If you fancy maintaining your own car like I do - I enjoy the process of a polish and wax every 6-8 months then don't.

If you prefer to let it sit for a month without a wash and then spend 30 minutes washing it, then a coating is worth it as it'll keep it in top condition.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 12:51 AM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
I've had it done professionally on two cars, a 5 and a 4 series. The last time, the detailer used Kamikaze products and the results on Carbon Black were impressive.
I have had two cars since and haven't bothered with either. Admittedly, neither are what you'd called premium. Instead, I've prepared the paintwork to a reasonable standard when new and applied Gtechniq C2V3 sealant. A budget approach but its worked just fine. The cars have been easier to wash as a result, and the paintwork has always looked good. The sealant can be reapplied from time to time.
Nothing truly protects the top coat from swirls, chips etc unless you apply film, which I've never even considered, tbh.
+1 for c2v3. The easiest to apply finish that I've ever used.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:35 AM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
If you fancy maintaining your own car like I do - I enjoy the process of a polish and wax every 6-8 months then don't.

If you prefer to let it sit for a month without a wash and then spend 30 minutes washing it, then a coating is worth it as it'll keep it in top condition.

Armaan
That'll be why I have mine done, although drop the "spend 30 mins washing it" for "let a bloke who knows what he is doing make it look nice" and we are there....
Appreciate 1
Armaan714.50
      07-13-2021, 03:05 AM   #12
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post

Armaan
That'll be why I have mine done, although drop the "spend 30 mins washing it" for "let a bloke who knows what he is doing make it look nice" and we are there....
As long as it's not take it to the local car wash place ...who will destroy that coating in one wash, then you get to enjoy the shiny car.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #13
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks chaps…..bit of a mixed bag of responses, so still confused on whether to shell out for it or not 😂
What do you want/expect the ceramic coating to do?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #14
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Thanks chaps…..bit of a mixed bag of responses, so still confused on whether to shell out for it or not
What do you want/expect the ceramic coating to do?
JNW is asking the right question here

The best I think it can do is to give your paintwork a deeper shine as the topcoat gets polished and if done well, ends up near perfect, making it easier to wash and making water bead more readily. It's a myth that it "protects" your paintwork against chips, scuffs and blemishes though. Film over the topcoat is the only thing which can do that.
      07-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #15
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

The best I think it can do is to give your paintwork a deeper shine as the topcoat gets polished and if done well, ends up near perfect, making it easier to wash and making water bead more readily. It's a myth that it "protects" your paintwork against chips, scuffs and blemishes though. Film over the topcoat is the only thing which can do that.
Yeah I guess I was hoping it would protect against swirl marks but doesn’t look like it will….!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I guess I was hoping it would protect against swirl marks but doesn’t look like it will….!
well I had CSL on all my cars and apart from a little swirling on the gloss black B pillar trim, there was none on the SQ5 after 23 months (and that did occasionally go through the local hand car wash..)

In the scheme of how much the car cost, and assuming you dont love washing and polishing your own cars, for me its a no brainer these days....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #17
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Interesting, I spent >£500 on getting the mrs black GLC coated. I was very impressed with the correction detailer did in removing swirls but slightly disappointed with the ceramic coating itself. Was prone to water marks etc.

I use Gyeon wet coat on the other cars and subjectively they stay clean just as long and are just as easy to clean etc.

I’m unlikely to do another unless I do a light version myself , maybe TAC moonlight I’ve been wanting to try .

Coatings still require a bit of maintenance with a topper detailing spray to retain the water repellency etc…
      07-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #18
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It may help to reduce swirls but in my experience it won't prevent them completely - as TodmordenLad says, you really need PPF to do that.

But as I said earlier, my view is probably influenced by the dark colour of my car - Mrs JNW1's Mini was done with Gyeon from new and any marks on her (Melting Silver) car are much less noticeable. However, I'd also say that after two years it's definitely in need of a top-up as the hydrophobic properties have now reduced significantly compared to when the coating was first applied.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:46 PM   #19
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
It may help to reduce swirls but in my experience it won't prevent them completely - as TodmordenLad says, you really need PPF to do that.

But as I said earlier, my view is probably influenced by the dark colour of my car - Mrs JNW1's Mini was done with Gyeon from new and any marks on her (Melting Silver) car are much less noticeable. However, I'd also say that after two years it's definitely in need of a top-up as the hydrophobic properties have now reduced significantly compared to when the coating was first applied.
My car (done with CSL) has some topcoat thing added about every 6 months to help with the deep shine and hydrophobic effects. I have no idea what he does but it stays pretty clean for a white car and looks bloody good when he has done it. That's the extent of my interest these days if I am honest....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 03:21 AM   #20
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

For easy washing get one of these:

https://www.vyair.com/en/0817-high-p...city-blue.html

One of the best things I've bought for car cleaning, hose off the car in full sun, no microfibre needed, just drys without any water spots! (Don't get Raceglaze, they are just rebranded Vyair ones for a lot more money!)
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      07-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #21
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

I think the ceramic coatings (with hydrophobic top coatings) make most sense if you are not a regular cleaner/detailer of your cars... as they protect the underlying finish from the fall out and dirt...

For me, the Golf was the first I had done and I got it done specifically because I knew it would spend longer periods dirty and so I wanted something to protect the underlying paintwork from degrading because of that and the coatings fitted that bill exactly... It's a £500 job up here to have the car machine polished with the coatings.. including protection for wheels and interior... that is for GTecnique (sp?) products with a 5 year life...

I either cleaned it by hand (now and again) or took it back to the detailers for a wash... Avoiding roller washes etc helps prevent surface damage/degradation of the coatings..,.
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #22
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
For easy washing get one of these:

https://www.vyair.com/en/0817-high-p...city-blue.html

One of the best things I've bought for car cleaning, hose off the car in full sun, no microfibre needed, just drys without any water spots! (Don't get Raceglaze, they are just rebranded Vyair ones for a lot more money!)
Heard good things about Raceglaze water filters but hadn't realised they were just rebrands of something made by someone else!
Appreciate 0